SASS Wire Forum

Anybody heard from Yellowhouse Sam?

Come to think of it........

.....I ain't seen any emails from him as of late either!

Sam, Where ya at?

~EE Taft~

Every things fine here Badger....didn't realize it'd been that long. Does make my bones feel better knowing there are some pards that are patently concerned with my well being. Yep, such comfort! :rolleyes:

Fact is I've been busy trying to get stuff out of storage units and put back in my new shop. Then there was bow season, muzzleloader season, and getting ready for rifle season. Between that and doing some metal detecting my schedule has been full. Took my grandson to deer camp too and he bagged a bunch of squirrels with his new .22.....really had a blast with him. :D

Have to admit I was really ill for a few days though. The Red Raiders did it again losing, no getting stomped, by Iowa State. Predictably, similar events happen annually so it shouldn't be a surprise so Go Cowboys!!!!! Fortunately, this critter helped me get over the doldrums. Doldrum Relief

Then since I turned 65 yesterday a trip to the hospice was necessary so I could get fitted with a walker and wheelchair. Pays to plan ahead you know.

Other than that they still let me drink whiskey and tell lies! How bout you fellers?

Hey Taft! You made it to Collyrada yet?

Not yet, Pard.....

.....had a bit of delay.......deal sorta fell through for the time being.

That's a nice critter ya got there!

Glad to hear your out and about enjoyin' time with yer grandson!

That's what counts!

~EE Taft~

That is a nice jackalope you bagged there Sam. :)

Glad that you are fit and fiddlin'.

Kinda missed your sage comments here in the Saloon.

Good news is that you are having fun with the Grand kids.

They will grow up so fast.

Speaking of whiskey, Pass that bottle over to Sam and then to me.

Yellowhouse Sam...is that a left handed rifle or is the picture reversed? It looks like the hammer is on the left side of the rifle. Then I gotta ask about the Jeep. Is it an old Postal Jeep, right hand drive if the picture is backwards?????? These are things I gots ta know.

Big Jake

Its my huntin buddies jeep and is an 84 CJ5 I think. Not postal but it sure doesn't have any doors. Brrrrrr!

The rifle is indeed a lefty I built in 86. Shot around 7000 balls through it since then mostly in the first four years at competitions. Its copied after a halfstock South Carolina Mountain rifle I saw in Muzzle Blast many years ago. L&R Leman lock, 1 in 72 cut rifle Montana 50 cal barrel and pretty plain maple stock. After building it I decided never again would I put that much blood, sweat, and tears into anything but fancy maple.

Heck, I wouldn't know how to load one of those Buck Rogers gizmos and wouldn't be caught with one around my buddies anyway. Fact is, I've fired one maxi bullet in my life. Think that was around 1960 something when I didn't know better. BTW, Schuetzen 2f is all I use in it now.....80 grs pushing a ball. Its never had a grain of anything but the real stuff and never will.

Thanks for asking about the rifle as it ain't perfect but I'm really proud of my ole gal. If I could have but one rifle of any type it would be my caplock rifle gun! Or maybe the left hand flint I built in 84 (can't find pic of it) Well maybe this one too......... Original Sporter/44-77 :)

Did you shoot the jackalope in the left side too?

I have always been partial to the full stock rifles. A nice curly maple

with a swamped .50 caliber barrel and a roman nose stock with a

brass patchbox. Never had one though. Closest I ever came

was a Navy Arms roman nose .45 that I bought back in the .70s.

It had a walnut stock and I bought a flint lock and insert to shoot

both flint and percussion.

I gave it to a friend. I understand that he took several deer with it.

I never hunted with it

Did you shoot the jackalope in the left side too?

I have always been partial to the full stock rifles. A nice curly maple

with a swamped .50 caliber barrel and a roman nose stock with a

brass patchbox. Never had one though. Closest I ever came

was a Navy Arms roman nose .45 that I bought back in the .70s.

It had a walnut stock and I bought a flint lock and insert to shoot

both flint and percussion.

I gave it to a friend. I understand that he took several deer with it.

I never hunted with it

Naw, I shot im in the right side quartering toward me. Ball blew out two ribs, part of lung, liver, and was lodged under the skin just front of his left ham. He ran about 75 yds and rooted dirt.

This year before last jackylope. Piled him up in his tracks with an angled shot to the spine from my stand. Wish I'd thought to take pics before cuttin his head off as it took three of us to load him. Too excited I guess. 2009 Lope

I love swamped barrels! If I hadn't already inletted my latest I'd put one on it. Another thing I'm going to do is funnel the muzzle so I don't have to fool with a short starter.

What size ball and patch combination do you use?

I haven't shot BP for a number of years. I still have my .58 Enfield 2 band.

It has become a safe queen though. Do they still make and sell bore butter?

I sure am not impressed with the in line models.

I considered getting a Lyman Great Plains in .54 but could never figure a use for

it in light of all of the other rifles I own. But for a production gun, they are nice.

I recall overhearing a conversation many years ago between a custom rifle maker

and a customer, at a rendezvous. They were discussing the purchase of a new

rifle. The fellow was asking for a cherry wood half stock with iron fittings and

a flint lock. I believe he wanted it in a .50 caliber. The guy quoted him a price

of just over $600.00. Never see that today.

I noticed a couple of differences between your rifle and mine:

1. Your's is a lot prettier.

2. Mine has never been photographed over a deer. :lol:

You need to fix that Pulp.

Maybe Master Sam will help you with the instructions on how to do it.

You might have to change your name to "Grasshopper". :)

What size ball and patch combination do you use?

I haven't shot BP for a number of years. I still have my .58 Enfield 2 band.

It has become a safe queen though. Do they still make and sell bore butter?

I sure am not impressed with the in line models.

I considered getting a Lyman Great Plains in .54 but could never figure a use for

it in light of all of the other rifles I own. But for a production gun, they are nice.

I recall overhearing a conversation many years ago between a custom rifle maker

and a customer, at a rendezvous. They were discussing the purchase of a new

rifle. The fellow was asking for a cherry wood half stock with iron fittings and

a flint lock. I believe he wanted it in a .50 caliber. The guy quoted him a price

of just over $600.00. Never see that today.

.498 ball and .018 patch for competition. Its a little tough going down but very accurate. I load a 495 ball and 018 for hunting but all my speed loads use a 490 ball and 015 patch for ease of loading.

I built a Lyman Plains rifle from a kit for a friend in Georgia. Polished the lock innards, re-shaped the stock somewhat, changed the sights to more period, and cold browned the barrel and hardware. It shot very, very well. Its what I'd get if I wanted to be traditional.

Pulp, just wait till one walks under your stand and drop it on his head. Take a quick pic fore he runs off with it. :)

My kidneys are first class. They do yeoman work every morning.

I don't need no steenkin' sulphur.

Poke about one ounce of Bore Butter up each nostril and you won't notice. Yep! they still sell it. Gave up on the mutton tallow based lubes cause for some reason mutton tallow is hard to get. Guess all them sheep went on a diet.

Just keep talking Sam. You might distract me from the gimme wants for that O/U 20 gauge that I have absolutely no need of owning. I know, it is not about need, it is about want. Thinking I might give up

and go bird hunting over the hill. Then my knees creek and I have to think twice about it.

What bothers me is that you have to use other than lead most everywhere here in WARSHINGTON. At

least on State Land, and most of the hunting is on state land. My little BSS 20 does not like steel shot.

Neither do I.

Well, Sam. Texas is Texas I guess, and Texas Tech is Texas Tech.

Keep the good thoughts and wait for a patsy to come along.

I wonder what them SEC boys are doing right now, waiting for the game to start. Bet beer might be involved.

Well, Sam. Texas is Texas I guess, and Texas Tech is Texas Tech.

Keep the good thoughts and wait for a patsy to come along.

I wonder what them SEC boys are doing right now, waiting for the game to start. Bet beer might be involved.

Beers no problem. Now if I could get my wife off the blankety blank HGTV channel! :(

Archived