SASS Wire Forum

OT Importing a rifle

Chantry

I am looking to get a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55, however Tikka, which is now owned by Beretta does not import this rifle in to the United States. They do import them to Canada and other parts of the world. Since the same rifle is imported into the US in different calibers it would seem to be an issue of poor sales and not one of legality.

Any ideas on how to get one imported into the US?

I am looking to get a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55, however Tikka, which is now owned by Beretta does not import this rifle in to the United States. They do import them to Canada and other parts of the world. Since the same rifle is imported into the US in different calibers it would seem to be an issue of poor sales and not one of legality.

Any ideas on how to get one imported into the US?

Start with a dealer who contacts a distributor and asks for one. Might be they don't normally include em for retail stock, but would add one to the next container for the distributor....

It would be best to get one through an existing importer / distributor. Not many dealers have import licenses and the work involved makes it a bit of a hassle to import one gun. Besides, there are contractual restrictions on importing for new guns. You can't just call up Tikka and ask them to send one over through your importer, they will probably only deal with Beretta USA. You could find one overseas, buy it, get an importer to do the paperwork and have it sent in. But this is not very easy. You might check with some of the bigger Canadian dealers near the US border. I would imagine that you would not be the first guy to get something brought in from Canada and a big Canadian shop near the boarder may have the connections and the knowledge to get it done without too much trouble.

But heck, I think I would look into getting a Sako 85 in 6.5x55. They did (do?) import them and they are a nicer rifles than the T3 (in my opinion).

It would be best to get one through an existing importer / distributor. Not many dealers have import licenses and the work involved makes it a bit of a hassle to import one gun. Besides, there are contractual restrictions on importing for new guns. You can't just call up Tikka and ask them to send one over through your importer, they will probably only deal with Beretta USA. You could find one overseas, buy it, get an importer to do the paperwork and have it sent in. But this is not very easy. You might check with some of the bigger Canadian dealers near the US border. I would imagine that you would not be the first guy to get something brought in from Canada and a big Canadian shop near the boarder may have the connections and the knowledge to get it done without too much trouble.

But heck, I think I would look into getting a Sako 85 in 6.5x55. They did (do?) import them and they are a nicer rifles than the T3 (in my opinion).

Call a dealer in Canada and see if you can buy one and have him ship it.

KK

I have never received a gun from out of the country other than through regular importers. But, I have sent guns all over the world. When I have a gun going out of the country I use this import/export company OLDWEST HARDWARE in Blaine WashingtoN state. They are located on the border with Canada and they specialize in just these sort of deals.

You can contact them at nmc@oldwesthardware.com

or (360) 303-6695

Archived