SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy and 38 Special 1873?

Major Regret, SASS #57800

Have a pard that wants to shoot Classic Cowboy who currently has an 1873 carbine in .38 Special. OK says I "You have to wear certain items, shoot duelist or double duelist, no 1897's and your guns have to be .40 cal or larger and you cain't never take your hat off." He reads the Handbook and says "Where does it say the rifle has to be .40 or larger?" I re-read the handbook and say "You're right!"

However being untrusting souls that need constant reassuring I said "Let me double check on the Wire!" Could someone please verify this for us, and maybe explain why handguns must be specific calibers but rifle doesn't matter?

Have a pard that wants to shoot Classic Cowboy who currently has an 1873 carbine in .38 Special. OK says I "You have to wear certain items, shoot duelist or double duelist, no 1897's and your guns have to be .40 cal or larger and you cain't never take your hat off." He reads the Handbook and says "Where does it say the rifle has to be .40 or larger?" I re-read the handbook and say "You're right!"

However being untrusting souls that need constant reassuring I said "Let me double check on the Wire!" Could someone please verify this for us, and maybe explain why handguns must be specific calibers but rifle doesn't matter?

Oh, don't be ignoring part the Shooter's Handbook.

CLASSIC COWBOY/COWGIRL

• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.

• Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required

shooting technique.

• Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples

include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45

Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball.

Important phrase that you seem to have missed is bolded. Maybe it's not grammatically elegant in its syntax, but it's there.

Rifle surely DOES have to meet the same type of chambering restrictions as the revolvers.

Come join us CC shooters! But make sure you bring enough gun :lol: And an '87 or hammered double shotgun.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the clarification! Handbook must have been written by one of my old high school teachers "Read each question thoroughly!" I just read the first part Revolver calibers...... and jumped down to rifle. So it was the way I originally figured just described bass ackwards.

Glad I shoot Ruger three screws and a Marlin 1894, can't get into too much trouble 'cause I only fit in the age based categories. Will pass this on to my friend.

Well Texas Ghost probably hasn't seen this post yet, but I am sure he would encourage your pard to look upon this as another buying opportunity. Classic Cowboy is a great way to shoot--you get to dress to the nines (or at least the fives, items that is) and shoot with all the cool big gear with the large round holes and the funny ears or levers on the shotgun. We would love to have another Classic Cowboy shooter, so tell him to go out and get that big bore gun--besides, then he can use the same ammo in his pistol and his rifle.

Archived