SASS Wire Forum

M1 Carbine Aftermarket Brands

Jack Houston # 35508

JH

After doing a little looking . It appears the Plainfield and the Universal , went under the same roof in appox 1975 . Some of the parts are VERY hard to find , Ie , the op rods , not to be had around here .

I have seen some in the pawn shops , and gun stores , But like you I can not afford them , Saw a couple with a $600 price , in what I would call good condition , not exelent but above fair .

Good luck on the hunt

CB

I can't speak for the Universal, but I'm very satisfied with my Plainfield. Functions flawlessly and surprisingly accurate. I bought it used on the SASS Classifieds, and have had it about 4 years. No problems so far, although I've only shot about 200 rounds through it.

Do NOT get the Universal. I bought one brandy new in the 70s. JUNK. Never could get it to function reliably. And as Creeker said, G.I. parts don't fit.

Have you ever seen the LLAMA 1911? It looks like a 1911 and uses G.I. magazines, but that's as far as it goes.

Do NOT get the Universal. I bought one brandy new in the 70s. JUNK. Never could get it to function reliably. And as Creeker said, G.I. parts don't fit.

Have you ever seen the LLAMA 1911? It looks like a 1911 and uses G.I. magazines, but that's as far as it goes.

Like Gas mileage.... everyone gets differnt results; I guess.

Arounf here, I see Carbines going for less than $500 in good condition. Purchased a Plainsfield recently for $175 (AS NEW).

Llama... I have one that will feed bent coathangers and shoot like a dream.

My suggestion is to try before you buy. ;)

I had a friend on a SWAT team who had a Universal blow up in his face.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Plainfield & Iver Johnson were connected, I recollect.

I've owned some Plainfileds and several GI's. All worked very well with ball and reloads.

I have owned 2 Universals too. I didn't think as much of them.

IMI (Israel) made one too. It was quality-built, for sure.

Maybe that's the Kahr-import now(???).

MG

I have no experience with Plainfield or Universal guns. But just for the sake of conversation, a few years back I inherited an Alpine M1 carbine. There's not a lot of information out there, but they were manufactured in the 60's utilizing after market receivers and the rest milsurp parts. The rap on them is that the receiver steel was soft. I don't have a "thousands of rounds" story to tell, but I've shot it quite a bit and it works pretty well. The price was right, in any event.

Nasty Newt

Since we are going off the reservation.... :ph34r: here is my personal favorite in 9mm using S&W Mags.... fitted with the smaller optional handgrip. Fits into a briefcase or computer bag. I can take out bowling pins at 75 yds with factory sights... a ZOMBIE GUN? :blush:

http://www.bugoutsurvival.com/2010/03/kel-tec-sub-9.html

Archived