SASS Wire Forum

best way to slick up inside of holster

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

...guns tend to 'stick' a wee bit in humid weather- what is the best stuff to use for slickin' up the inside - talcum powder? wax?...KY :huh: ??

I'm gonna try sticking in a piece of wood thats a little bigger than the pistola...but just in case...

Thanks for any suggestions..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

...guns tend to 'stick' a wee bit in humid weather- what is the best stuff to use for slickin' up the inside - talcum powder? wax?...KY :huh: ??

I'm gonna try sticking in a piece of wood thats a little bigger than the pistola...but just in case...

Thanks for any suggestions..

Hey Gunner,

I give the insides of my holsters a quirt of silicone spray before I start a match.

Spittoon

T-Bone put some of that on my wifes last weekend because hers was a little sticky.

Worked great. Ordered some.

You mean, on her holster, right? :unsure:

I like this.

Randy

Unbelieveable that Double Eagle showed this to me this weekend. I have been googling and trying to find (knew it was K something 9)it all night and here is a thread with it on there.

Thanks for asking this question Gunner

Gunner-

Wait 'til you and I are squared off, then fill yer hoster with quick set super glue and stuff yer gun in hard. I'll start the buzzer in about 30 seconds.

:D CR

+17 for KG9...Using for three years now. :) The guns jump out of the holster! :rolleyes:

No, I'm no faster and my time remain the same :rolleyes:, but the guns jump

right out of the holster, honest! :wacko: Great stuff! :D

QDG

THANK YOU ALL!!! for your answers - will try one method in one holster and another in the other - :D ....will let y'all know -

Cowboy Rick - rest assured I will NOT try your method :lol:

I made a new set of holsters and was looking around my shop for the silicone spray when I spied a can of DROP OUT, a spray designed to coat the inside of bullet molds so that the bullets drop out. I didn't like the way it works on the molds but it works like a champ on the inside of holsters.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some pure silicone grease. It's usually in the plumbing or electrical section and only a couple bucks for a big tube. Use real sparingly and rub into the leather.

It sounds to me as if the they need a little "adjustment." Put your guns in athletic socks, stick them in the holsters overnight and I'm thinking you will solve your problem. With this slight adjustment, you should have no problem with the guns "jumping out."

When you are through shooting for the day stuf a tennis ball in the holster and leave it untill you are ready to shoot again, You will be supprised how well it works. Chief

I had some new to me slim jims that were sticky, so a pard rubbed some clear gel inside which I think was one of the products mentioned in this thread. It did work great. BUT, when I would reload the gun the fingers of my left hand would get that stuff on my fingers as I turned the cylinder. Made my fingers really slick and it did not wash off easily, not with water anyway. I'm assuming he smeared too much of it into the holsters so I would heed the advice of others to USE SPARINGLY!

I'll add one thing. If the guns are sticking because the holsters have lost their shape or aren't hard enough to keep open, you can form/harden the leather. Mix warm water and rubbing alcohol, apply it to the holsters with a cottom ball, place revolvers in a zip lock bag, and place them in the holsters. Allow the holsters to dry and the leather will harden making the guns slide out without a hitch.

K9 works great on holsters. Just don't do it just before the match and get any on your fingers. Or just as slick as the pistols come out of your holsters, shotgun shells will fly out of your hand boy that made for a fun match :rolleyes:

BT

I'll add that you can stretch the holster a little bit if you stuff your gun into a sock, then put the gun with sock into holster.

I do this before a big match. The other day a shooter saw me pulling the guns out and said he had heard of gun socks, but not seen an actual sock used :)

Heee Haaa Gunner.. I believe it was Mathew Duncon (the Rebel Guy from Paridice Pass) That told me ta use Black -Moly-Lube..and lots of it.. :ph34r: Just Sayin..

Ifin ya had Doc Knoper made them for ya call him .. I'll bet he can slick them up for ya.. ;)

I would suggest that ya fill them up RTV and let them set over night.. :P

Heee Haaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Geez....when I design and build a holster I always form it to retain the firearm (even if the holster is upside down). Just enough to keep the gun in the holster while moving ..but loose enough to get it out when needed. I actually build in a little bit of "sticky"...and here everyone is trying to un-stick their holsters...just hopin that someone does not loose a gun during a match...does having an loose holster really get you additional time...I hardly think so.

Geez....when I design and build a holster I always form it to retain the firearm (even if the holster is upside down). Just enough to keep the gun in the holster while moving ..but loose enough to get it out when needed. I actually build in a little bit of "sticky"...and here everyone is trying to un-stick their holsters...just hopin that someone does not loose a gun during a match...does having an loose holster really get you additional time...I hardly think so.

I know you meant to say a better time. I say yes. It's also less of a distraction when your holsters and guns work smoothly. Distractions can cost you time.

Fillmore

Archived