SASS Wire Forum

Trying to figger out how a '66 functions

Throckmorton,23149

Pards,I've got the right side plate off'n my carbine,and it looks to me like the last little bit of the carrier returning to 'home port' is by gravity,is that right? If so I need to do some lubing,mine hangs up if I operate the lever less than 'smartly'. Also,if I push it up a tad from the bottom,it just stays there and don't fall back into place.

If not...well,could ya stteer me in the right die rection as to what I'm looking for?

appreciate it !

Pards,I've got the right side plate off'n my carbine,and it looks to me like the last little bit of the carrier returning to 'home port' is by gravity,is that right? If so I need to do some lubing,mine hangs up if I operate the lever less than 'smartly'. Also,if I push it up a tad from the bottom,it just stays there and don't fall back into place.

If not...well,could ya stteer me in the right die rection as to what I'm looking for?

appreciate it !

Nope. Returned by spring pressure...

I've got 2 yellowboys..

When I had a gunsmith work on them (kinda slickem' up)

He told me that he put a positive down on the carrier..

That last little bit of travel down and sometimes doesn't go there :mellow: ... down that is.

How did you do that?

He put a little spot of weld in just the right spot.. thinkin' it's on the lever area

I can't tell you where it's at.. but when I clean my rifle I can see the weld build up spot..

He done both rifles.. so .. when the lever is closed.. the carrier won't come up..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I ain't no gunsmith..

but ya oughta find one...

ask if they can do a positive down on your rifle..

If they don't know what that is.. find a different gunsmith :)

Think I figured it out.the 2 springs that put pressure on the lever also operate the carrier.I either got lucky and 'something' fell out..a piece of crud or something.. OR the 2 screws are adjustable for tension,and I had them over thightened.

any hoo,the carrier falls into place perfectly now. I suspect that after the last shoot,I tightened all screws,and over did these.

OK,,LET'S GO SHOOT. :)

Spring pressure is supposed to push em down. But for a race gun, we like springs light, so "positive slam down" is often elusive unless ya tighten springs more than we like. So yes, the "positive slam down" mod, a bit of weld added to the part of the lever that can push on the LIFTER arm, in turn driving the carrier fully down, is done to "fix" that. Note: You can reduce the NEED for a positive slam down mod by slicking up the sides of the carrier (use a sheet of glass and wet 400 or 600 paper) so it is less likely to drag against the frame window, and also keep things clear of crud. lastly, lever the gun smartly and inertia is your friend, the carrier will wanna 'coast" to the bottom even if not spring-loaded fully or pushed by a metal "slam down" glob....

Archived