SASS Wire Forum

Springs for new SASS Vaquero?

C.S. Brady, SASS #63699

I just got in a pair of SASS Ruger Vaqueros and wanted to order some reduced power springs for them. When I go to Midway I read the following on the Wolf springs.

•New Model Vaquero's with small frame (NV Series) and Blackhawk 50th Anniversay models with XR-3 grip frame and internal hammer lock use the same internal springs as the older Ruger single actions EXCEPT for hammer springs. This spring pack does NOT include a hammer spring for these newer models.

So, is this saying the springs in this pack will not fit my pistols? I am guessing NV means New Vaquero, but I am new to these pistols and you guys are not. All the springs I looked at said the same thing???

Why don't you check the Wolff Gunsprings site and call them since they are the maker of what you want.

FWIW: My wife's NMVs didn't need any "new" springs. Shoot yours for a bit and you will see.

Respectfully,

LG

Don't know :blink: .. but maybe :mellow: .. your New Model SASS Vaquero's already have lightened hammer springs..

I know the new model SASS Vaquero come with some modifications that the non SASS Vaquero's don't have...

Rance <_<

Just something to think about and investigate..

I just ordered two sets from LongHunter. I may still end up with the original springs, but I wanted options. I replaced the springs in my two Single Six pistols and was quite impressed with how much it improved them. Thank you all for your help.

I just ordered two sets from LongHunter. I may still end up with the original springs, but I wanted options. I replaced the springs in my two Single Six pistols and was quite impressed with how much it improved them. Thank you all for your help.

Try Brownells, I ordered, they shipped, I installed. They have the hammer, trigger and latch pin spring all in one set or individual.

LCS

They already have 17# springs in them now as new, the big frame vaquero's had 23# springs, that is why everyone was switching to lighter springs, have heard of people putting in the 14 or 15# springs in the new vaquero's to replace the 17# and then had trouble popping primers, now this is just what I heard, take it or leave. The more you shoot them and work the action the better off you will be. I know 2 people that have the SASS vaquero's, one shoots them stock, the other one has had a action job from a top gunsmith, I ask him if he tried the other guys out and he said they was about the same feel, now granted the stock one has been shot for 2 years and the action job one only this year, YMMV

All for now JD Trampas

They already have 17# springs in them now as new, the big frame vaquero's had 23# springs, that is why everyone was switching to lighter springs, have heard of people putting in the 14 or 15# springs in the new vaquero's to replace the 17# and then had trouble popping primers, now this is just what I heard, take it or leave. The more you shoot them and work the action the better off you will be. I know 2 people that have the SASS vaquero's, one shoots them stock, the other one has had a action job from a top gunsmith, I ask him if he tried the other guys out and he said they was about the same feel, now granted the stock one has been shot for 2 years and the action job one only this year, YMMV

All for now JD Trampas

I believe the Wolff kit comes with a 14# spring and Longhunter's kit comes with a 15# spring. I had read some reviews where people had some problems with the 14# spring not setting off primers. This was another reason that I chose to purchase the kit from Longhunter.

Swapping the springs out will give you a slick feeling pistol. That is all that I did on my Vaqueros and they feel about the same as my wife's SASS Vaqueros that were slicked up by Longhunter.

I believe the Wolff kit comes with a 14# spring and Longhunter's kit comes with a 15# spring. I had read some reviews where people had some problems with the 14# spring not setting off primers. This was another reason that I chose to purchase the kit from Longhunter.

Swapping the springs out will give you a slick feeling pistol. That is all that I did on my Vaqueros and they feel about the same as my wife's SASS Vaqueros that were slicked up by Longhunter.

I put Wolff springs in my two Single Six pistols and was impressed with how much they improved them. One of the pistols was made in 85 and the other in 04. They were both rather hard to cock, especially for my 7 year old son. Now he can cock them easily and they go "bang" every time. My SASS Vagueros are OK now, but I hope to see some improvement from the new springs. If not I can always swap them back.

I had Wolff springs installed in my SASS Vaqueros because I thought they would help, but frankly the pistols were just as slick feeling before the springs as after which is pretty slick. I am not sure Ruger hasn't quietly installed lightened springs on the SASS Vaquero. Maybe I just can't tell the difference between 17 and 14.

Howdy Pard,

Before spendin them hard earned dollars, maybe take those sass revolvers to

a match director and ask if they need lighter springs.

Maybe ruger saved you the price of springs and the fuss of action works.

Maybe.

best

CR

Archived