SASS Wire Forum

Larger front sight bead on Marlin .357

Krazy Kajun

I am looking at trying to get a little larger sight bead on my Marlin lever action in .357 (I'm cheap and shoot .38s out of it). I have the standard buck horn rear sight and the standard brass bead "thingy" that comes stock on the rifle but I find that I am having a little trouble picking up the front sight.....ain't old age/bad eyes a curse!

I like my buck horn rear sights but need something larger on the front. What are folks using to replace the front sight on Marlins to help remedy that? Hopefully it will be something that I can just install myself...not to hard to remove a dovetail sight and install a new one in the same dovetail. If its a post or some type of stud I'll have to get my gunsmith to do it.

Thanks.

Howdy-

I went to Longhunter's website and bought one of the "Grabber" front sights he sells. Installs in the standard dovetail, and ( I have found) is just the thing for me, anyway. Larger bead is MUCH faster to get back on after levering the action. Well worth the money for me, and didn't have to wait for a 'Smith to charge me for installing it.

When you get the new sight, lay the rifle on some towels with the bolt facing down. Use a brass punch or wood dowel and drive the sight out, left to right. Most new sights have to be fitted, so don't be surprised if the new sight will not go into the dovetail at first. Turn the rifle over so the bolt is facing up, try the new sight in the dovetail. If you get lucky it will start to go in. If it does, tap it in with the brass punch or dowel, right to left. If it won't start to go in, file from the BOTTOM of the new sight until it will start to go in, then tap it the rest of the way. Don't force it, if it won't start to go in relatively easy, file it.

I am looking at trying to get a little larger sight bead on my Marlin lever action in .357 (I'm cheap and shoot .38s out of it). I have the standard buck horn rear sight and the standard brass bead "thingy" that comes stock on the rifle but I find that I am having a little trouble picking up the front sight.....ain't old age/bad eyes a curse!

I like my buck horn rear sights but need something larger on the front. What are folks using to replace the front sight on Marlins to help remedy that? Hopefully it will be something that I can just install myself...not to hard to remove a dovetail sight and install a new one in the same dovetail. If its a post or some type of stud I'll have to get my gunsmith to do it.

Thanks.

Tried to PM you won't take it!!!

I epoxied a spent primer to mine. Nooooo problems at all finding THAT sucker. ;)

YEP, that is zackly what I did also.

I cut a groove in the area below the sight bead so that the empty primer cup would have a place to slide into. Then I filled the empty primer with JBWeld and pushed it on.

I used a small primer BUT, even a large primer can be used ifn ya need a Super Large.

..........Widder

YEP, that is zackly what I did also.

I cut a groove in the area below the sight bead so that the empty primer cup would have a place to slide into. Then I filled the empty primer with JBWeld and pushed it on.

I used a small primer BUT, even a large primer can be used ifn ya need a Super Large.

..........Widder

**WHEW** For a second there I thought you and I were thinking alike. Scared the bajeezus out of me. I cut the groove in the wall of the primer so it slipped over the sight blade. :P

**WHEW** For a second there I thought you and I were thinking alike. Scared the bajeezus out of me. I cut the groove in the wall of the primer so it slipped over the sight blade. :P

Well, you obviously did it wrong..... :lol::lol::lol:

If for some reason mine breaks off, I just JBWeld a new one on. Ifn yours breaks off, you gotta cut a new groove in a new primer again.

Philly my good friend, ya just gotta ask yeself, "what would a Jedi do"? :D

..........Widder

Tried to PM you won't take it!!!

Funny thing...I tried to PM you and it would not take it either. i have sent and received PMs in the past...wondering if the website is having problems.

My email addy is gacajun@aol.com.

If for some reason mine breaks off,

What are you doing to break off all these front sights??? :blink:

Ifn yours breaks off, you gotta cut a new groove in a new primer again.

A NEW one?!?!? We haven't even shot together and you're already trying to get me blowed up. :o

Philly my good friend, ya just gotta ask yeself, "what would a Jedi do"? :D

..........Widder

Madd Mike says I'm not very strong in the ways of The Force. :(

Gamer :P

Missed ya at Gun of Autumn last weekend...hope to see ya at a shoot real soon!

I gotta good story about a train wreck on the firing line with my Dirt SKB at the pre-shoot for GOA. Was all the operator's fault...Dirt Merchant's work is great !

I have .130 grabbers on all my rifles. Ask me this weekend at Riverbend and you can squint down one.

McKenzie

Don't think I'm gonna make Riverbend but I should be down at Doc Holiday's or South River. If'n you'll be there I'll take you up on that squintin' offer. I gotsta do sumptin' about the blurry front sight. I finally broke down and got me some prescription shooting glasses so now everything should be evenly blurry, just have that yellow color to it.:)

Since I can't find none of them, I just ask my wife. :rolleyes:

Sour Kraut must be checkin the Wire on you, especially after that '21 yr old' comment last week.

Its a good thing you know how to start talkin sweeeeet things. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder (one who don't let his Wife on the Wire)

Sour Kraut must be checkin the Wire on you, especially after that '21 yr old' comment last week.

Its a good thing you know how to start talkin sweeeeet things. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder (one who don't let his Wife on the Wire)

You know that situation where you think of the perfect come-back 30 minutes AFTER you need it? That happened to me in that thread.

Me: I'd like the have the body of a 21 year old. Do I get to pick her out?

Sour Kraut: NO!!! :angry:

What I SHOULD have said: But honey, I was gonna choose yours. :wub:

Philly,

ifn your still in the dog house, buy her some Bullet Splat jewelry.

That usually helps in gettin back in the big house and out of the dog house. :)

..........Widder

Ok, I went to Long Hunters website and found the Grabber sights. .130 and .175 are options on diameter.....130 seems to be the most popular based upon posts so far in the topic.

The other spec in looking at the dropdown menu of these is the height. Available heights are .37, .41, .45. and .50.

Which is the correct height to buy for my Marlin 1894 rifle?

Missed ya at Gun of Autumn last weekend...hope to see ya at a shoot real soon!

I gotta good story about a train wreck on the firing line with my Dirt SKB at the pre-shoot for GOA. Was all the operator's fault...Dirt Merchant's work is great !

Ya this whole work thing is getting in the way of my shooting. After this trip I'm done for a while!! B)

Also.... I think that using sites when your shooting is way over rated :blink:

Ok, I went to Long Hunters website and found the Grabber sights. .130 and .175 are options on diameter.....130 seems to be the most popular based upon posts so far in the topic.

The other spec in looking at the dropdown menu of these is the height. Available heights are .37, .41, .45. and .50.

Which is the correct height to buy for my Marlin 1894 rifle?

Krazy:

The .50 is a factory height. BUT, that being said, I prefer the .41 height.

The .41 seems to fall in better for me when I lay the rifle out and let the bead fall into alignment with the rear sight.

I think this is one of those 'mileage varies' situations.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Philly,

ifn your still in the dog house, buy her some Bullet Splat jewelry.

That usually helps in gettin back in the big house and out of the dog house. :)

..........Widder

Thankfully she forgives quickly so I'm not in the dog house anymore.

We looked at Bullet Splat jewelry at last year's SASS Convention. She liked it. Not as much as she likes REAL bullets but, she did like it. :)

Archived