SASS Wire Forum

Sporting advice

Doc Windshadow

“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of the exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize [sic] and independance [sic] to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion on your walk. Never think of taking a book with you.” – Thomas Jefferson in a 1785 letter to his fifteen-year-old nephew

“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of the exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize [sic] and independance [sic] to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion on your walk. Never think of taking a book with you.” – Thomas Jefferson in a 1785 letter to his fifteen-year-old nephew

Wouldn't it be nice if that letter were given the same force of law as his letter to the Danbury Baptists?

MY gun is a constant companion on my walk...in case somebody throws a ball at me. :D

Archived