SASS Wire Forum

Info On a Good 45-90 Repeater (Lever Action)

Texas Lizard

The only 45-90 lever action I know of is a Winchester 1886. Great rifle, but they have not made on in 45-90 for a long time. Is this what you are looking for or did you mean 45-70?

The only 45-90 lever action I know of is a Winchester 1886. Great rifle, but they have not made on in 45-90 for a long time. Is this what you are looking for or did you mean 45-70?

Nop...45-90 just as said...Have the 45-70 Marlin...You might be right on long time no made...I have seen older ones but they are priced to the top end, like six Gs...

Texas Lizard

TL, winchester made a jap 86 in 45-90 just a few years ago. they made td and solid frame. good hi end workmanship and they shoot really well. they have got the correct twist to stabilize 405 gr. bullets and probally heavier if you can stand it. they were all rifle configuration oct. barrel/crescent butt------------dusty

TL, winchester made a jap 86 in 45-90 just a few years ago. they made td and solid frame. good hi end workmanship and they shoot really well. they have got the correct twist to stabilize 405 gr. bullets and probally heavier if you can stand it. they were all rifle configuration oct. barrel/crescent butt------------dusty

Can't be any heavier than my single shot 45-90...There is one around that is called a takedown...Not sure what that means, at this time...Its even price in the budget...Don't need to hock the wife to buy it...

Texas Lizard

Interesting, I didn't see these. I have one of the 45-70 Japanese Brownings (made by Miroku (sp?) who makes the Winchesters) and love it. It would be possible to take one of the Brownings (which are much nicer than the new made Winchester guns, which have tang safeties) and rechamber it to 45-90. I would have to check if there is a difference between the rifling twist in the 45-70 and the 45-90.

In any case, an 1886 is a very nice gun. Very strong and very reliable. I have a 45-90 Sharps, which I love. It would be fun to have one in an 1886, though it could not take the same 535 grain bullets I use in the Sharps, due to AOL.

Interesting, I didn't see these. I have one of the 45-70 Japanese Brownings (made by Miroku (sp?) who makes the Winchesters) and love it. It would be possible to take one of the Brownings (which are much nicer than the new made Winchester guns, which have tang safeties) and rechamber it to 45-90. I would have to check if there is a difference between the rifling twist in the 45-70 and the 45-90.

In any case, an 1886 is a very nice gun. Very strong and very reliable. I have a 45-90 Sharps, which I love. It would be fun to have one in an 1886, though it could not take the same 535 grain bullets I use in the Sharps, due to AOL.

I have a couple of those Japanese Brownings. One started its life as a model ’71. My buddy had it made into a 50/110, actually it’s a 50/100/450 the twist rate likes the heavier bullets! He didn’t like it and it found its way to me and I love it! The 45/90 and the 50/110 are the same length, so if you can’t find what you‘re looking for it can be built.

Jasper

Howdy, Pards,

The original M1886 Winchesters chambered for .45-90 WCF had 1-32" twists, whereas the .45-70 had a 1-22" twist to stabilize the Gov't loadings (405-500 gr). The .45-90 WCF was marketed as an "Express Rifle", sort of the magnum of their day. With the 90 gr. BP charge you could get around 1430 ft/sec muzzle velocity, which could only be attained by using a 300 grain bullet. The one I owned years ago, would stabilize bullets up to about 385 grains, but no heavier. The other thing you need to consider is the overall length of the cartridge with the heavier bullets. To get the OAL short enough to feed with the heavy bullets, you need to seat them deeper in the case. With the .45-70 case you can load 500 grain slugs with no problem.

The only reason I can see for going with the 2.4-inch case instead of the 2.1, is if you are shooting BP.

I have no knowledge of the twist rates in the Miroku models.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Howdy, Pards,

The original M1886 Winchesters chambered for .45-90 WCF had 1-32" twists, whereas the .45-70 had a 1-22" twist to stabilize the Gov't loadings (405-500 gr). The .45-90 WCF was marketed as an "Express Rifle", sort of the magnum of their day. With the 90 gr. BP charge you could get around 1430 ft/sec muzzle velocity, which could only be attained by using a 300 grain bullet. The one I owned years ago, would stabilize bullets up to about 385 grains, but no heavier. The other thing you need to consider is the overall length of the cartridge with the heavier bullets. To get the OAL short enough to feed with the heavy bullets, you need to seat them deeper in the case. With the .45-70 case you can load 500 grain slugs with no problem.

The only reason I can see for going with the 2.4-inch case instead of the 2.1, is if you are shooting BP.

I have no knowledge of the twist rates in the Miroku models.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

Good info to remember...I keep reading all this good info while the group craves pumpkins...I'm retired from that...All them originals are good bunch of gold dust...I'll keep reading and looking...I think a little more learning before jumping...

Texas Lizard

Oh, one other thing...If you just have to have the 2.4" round in an '86, you could see about rechambering a 2.1" chamber (.45-70). It would depend on how loose the .45-70 chamber was. I've seen an original HiWall that was chambered in .45-70, but someone re-chambered to .45-90 (2.4"). The barrel had a 1-19" twist! (Winchester was experimenting around apparently...moreso in the .40 calibers), and there was absolutely no problem shooting the longer rounds in the recut chamber. Dang thing would put 10 rounds in 2-1/2" at 100 yds with vernier front and rear sights. I shot it a few times, using smokeless powder loads, and it would handle anything from 300 to 500 grain bullets, although it favored 385-400 grainers. The 500 grain bullets were a bit much on the back end with the curved rifle rear sight.

Your obdt servant,

Like has been pointed out, the 45/90 was an Express gun. It was designed to shoot much smaller bullets than the 45/70. The twist is usually... or should be, a much slower twist than the 45/70. If not for that, you could take your Marlin out in the chamber to 45/90. You could still do that, but it would not be what the 45/90 was intended to be. The Winchester is about all that you will find in the lever gun, and they are not cheap. I had one and they are nice. What are you wanting to use it for? In close hunting I would expect would be the best use for the 45/90 cartridge. If you are wanting to shoot Long Range.... then I would stay with the 45/70. JMO.

Snakebite

Like has been pointed out, the 45/90 was an Express gun. It was designed to shoot much smaller bullets than the 45/70. The twist is usually... or should be, a much slower twist than the 45/70. If not for that, you could take your Marlin out in the chamber to 45/90. You could still do that, but it would not be what the 45/90 was intended to be. The Winchester is about all that you will find in the lever gun, and they are not cheap. I had one and they are nice. What are you wanting to use it for? In close hunting I would expect would be the best use for the 45/90 cartridge. If you are wanting to shoot Long Range.... then I would stay with the 45/70. JMO.

Snakebite

Howdy, again, Pards,

The only reason for using the longer cartridge would be if you want to use BP as the propellant. If you are going to use smokeless, then the .45-70 is the better round. The .45-90 case is too big for best efficiency with smokeless. Taking a .45-70 out to the longer cartridge won't change the faster twist of the Government round in most rifles. (I've seen a Meacham-conversion Sharps military style rifle chambered for .45-2.1" (.45-70) that had a 1-in-60" twist .451" barrel! Probably used a muzzleloader barrel, as these were re-built guns for commercial sale. That gun would stabilize 300 gr. lead bullets driven to about 1400 ft/sec.

Your Pard,

Yep... I took a Browning BPCR 45/70 out to 45/90... I still used a 535 gn Snover, and the exta powder capacity helped out at the 800 yd+ ranges.

Snakebite

Snakebite

Actually, you can not take an 1895 marlin to 45/90. the case is too long to fit the action. that is unless you want to single load through the ejection port. :lol:

Can't be any heavier than my single shot 45-90...There is one around that is called a takedown...Not sure what that means, at this time...Its even price in the budget...Don't need to hock the wife to buy it...

Texas Lizard

if it's a takedown 86 45-90 it's got to be same as mine. the one i have is a shooter. i also have a browning 86 i had punched to 45-90 and it's also a shooter. these are really well made guns and if you are going after truely big game with a lever action they will stop anything that walks the earth. i built my takedown for a cape buff hunt that hasn't materialized. the longer case does make a difference over the 45-70 at the top end. of course you can push a45-70 almost there but with more pressure. i also had a original 71 winchester converted to 50-110 firing 525 gr gas check hard cast lead bullets at 1925 fps. used this combo on a big mature water buffalo and one shot ,he was down for count. recoil with the rig weighing about the same as an unaltered 71 was less than pleasant. dusty

Archived