SASS Wire Forum

DBL Shotgun work

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

Fellow Pards:

I know that there are many very good gunsmiths who work with SASS shooters on double barrel shotguns. It appears that many if given a choice of double barrel (hammerless ) like a SKB or a BSS. I have heard that some smiths have a method that will assist in holding the gun in an open position when it is staged or in a non shooting position?

I have not seen this modification and was wondering if any could tell me what is done to the gun, how it works and good and bad points of this mod if any. Would also be interested to know if smiths who do this work. I have a BSS and a SKB sittting in the safe awaiting work.

Many thanks friends.

Marshal Fire

Johnny Meadows is well-known to do great work and can do the stay-open mod. I think he puts a little ledge or notch inside the gun that helps it stay open.

I would expect any good Cowboy gunsmith could do the mod. Goatneck Clem, Colt Macallister, Longhunter, etc.

Fellow Pards:

I know that there are many very good gunsmiths who work with SASS shooters on double barrel shotguns. It appears that many if given a choice of double barrel (hammerless ) like a SKB or a BSS. I have heard that some smiths have a method that will assist in holding the gun in an open position when it is staged or in a non shooting position?

I have not seen this modification and was wondering if any could tell me what is done to the gun, how it works and good and bad points of this mod if any. Would also be interested to know if smiths who do this work. I have a BSS and a SKB sittting in the safe awaiting work.

Many thanks friends.

Marshal Fire

I have some of Johnny Meadows SKB's. Some have the hold open some do not. Around these parts we do not see much vertical staging of the shotgun so I cannot say whether it is really helpful or not. That said if I see a stage with vertical staging I will use the hold open gun, otherwise my gun of choice does not have that particular modification.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I bought a Baikal off of the Wire that had a full Coyote Cap race job including the hold open mod. A notch was cut into the bottom of the locking lug that the lock would snap into if the shotgun is opened all the way. I shot a few matches with it before deciding that I hated this feature. 1-2 times per match, the shotgun would lock open when I didn't want it to causing me to waste time having to flick the lever to close the gun. I ended up filling the notch with JB weld and polishing the lug back to smooth. Much happier now!

I bought a Baikal off of the Wire that had a full Coyote Cap race job including the hold open mod. A notch was cut into the bottom of the locking lug that the lock would snap into if the shotgun is opened all the way. I shot a few matches with it before deciding that I hated this feature. 1-2 times per match, the shotgun would lock open when I didn't want it to causing me to waste time having to flick the lever to close the gun. I ended up filling the notch with JB weld and polishing the lug back to smooth. Much happier now!

That's a seperate mod. The "hold open" mod that most are talking about is simply a bump step that does not requie you to work the release lever.

Thanks for the info

DEUCE, I have watched some of your videos on YOU TUBE (enjoy and learn from them)

It appears that you have a "bump" step on your BSS?

So if I understand this a small grove is place in the open position of the lug and it is enough to lightly hole open the gun but not enough to requie the lever to be moved to open it?

Thanks

Marshal Fire

Thanks for the info

DEUCE, I have watched some of your videos on YOU TUBE (enjoy and learn from them)

It appears that you have a "bump" step on your BSS?

So if I understand this a small grove is place in the open position of the lug and it is enough to lightly hole open the gun but not enough to requie the lever to be moved to open it?

Thanks

Marshal Fire

Thanks for the comment on the videos. Actually none of my SxS's have a bump step of any sort. I find that even with vettical staging proper technique and fundamentals will get you farther ahead.

Archived