SASS Wire Forum

The only living master of a dying martial art

Subdeacon Joe

Just an item of interest.

The only living master of a dying martial art

A former factory worker from the British Midlands may be the last living master of the centuries-old Sikh battlefield art of shastar vidya. The father of four is now engaged in a full-time search for a successor.

The basis of shastar vidya, the "science of weapons" is a five-step movement: advance on the opponent, hit his flank, deflect incoming blows, take a commanding position and strike.

It was developed by Sikhs in the 17th Century as the young religion came under attack from hostile Muslim and Hindu neighbours, and has been known to a dwindling band since the British forced Sikhs to give up arms in the 19th Century.

Nidar Singh, a 44-year-old former food packer from Wolverhampton, is now thought to be the only remaining master. He has many students, but shastar vidya takes years to learn and a commitment in time and energy that doesn't suit modern lifestyles.

I thought Indiana Jones convinced everyone that all them old fighting tecniques were hard to use on an incoming round.

Bugs

That's the beauty of Thugee. You do it from behind. :lol:

I am a Master of Ka Razor....

I prefer to be a Master of Old Age and Treachery.

That's what I tell all dem youngins at work.

And they treat me wif respect and some fear as well !! :lol::P;)

Thugee....? Didn't they move to Chicago in the 1920's? He oughta try recruiting some of dem boys!

Archived