SASS Wire Forum

It's cold & dark

Yep - 10" of snow - wet, heavy blanket

Wires down everywhere

No power - so no lights no heat, no water

Fire in the fireplace

When the missus gets up, I'll hear it again...."I thought you said we didn't NEED a generator????"

Well, I've got an hour and a half on the laptop....

LL

Wires down everywhere

Fire in the fireplace GREAT TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE ISN'T IT ?

When the missus gets up, I'll hear it again...."I thought you said we didn't NEED a generator????"

LL

Ya won't see this for a bit . . as yur lap top ran dry about 4:30a m . . . how about goin' shopping for a generator ? It probably looks pretty out . . snow on the trees and all that. ;)

Wires down everywhere

Fire in the fireplace

LL

Get the generator, Loophole. I put it off for 40 years. It is a good investment.

Get the generator, Loophole. I put it off for 40 years. It is a good investment.

I'm rationing computer time - have 30 min left.

My street is blocked at both ends with trees and wires; not going anywhere for awhile.

So...portable generator or whole house back up? No NG here, so it's propane or gasoline.

Recommendations?

Tx.

LL

If you lose power a lot, a whole house propane generator is the way to go. We don't lose power too often, so I have a 10K gasoline generator (Honda engine) with a transfer switch, which is adequate for short periods.

I'm rationing computer time - have 30 min left.

My street is blocked at both ends with trees and wires; not going anywhere for awhile.

So...portable generator or whole house back up? No NG here, so it's propane or gasoline.

Recommendations?

Tx.

LL

I got a Generac generator that for about $390.00 can be converted to burn gasoline, natural gas or propane. Now I kinda overdid it on mine because it's a 15KW one, but the conversions come for most sizes.

Good luck,

Dawg

Day 3 and still no power.

Drained my 80 gal water heater dry for water to flush the toilets; kept the living space warm with the fireplace (well, sort of)

Able to leave the neighborhood by driving under a fallen tree, held up by electric wires - sorta like driving through a leafy tunnel.

Darned lucky that the temps aren't sub-freezing; still, 36 at night is hard to fight with no heat.

Going to lose my tropical fish - that's for sure.

Sitting in a hospital waiting room now - power to recharge the lap top.

My neck of the woods looks like a war zone; trees down everywhere, many with tops snapped off or huge trunk splits. The leaves had not yet fallen, so when the heavy wet snow came in, it loaded them and they gave.

When the lights come back, I'll pick up on your recommendations and go generator shopping.

LL

If you lose power a lot, a whole house propane generator is the way to go. We don't lose power too often, so I have a 10K gasoline generator (Honda engine) with a transfer switch, which is adequate for short periods.

Mine is slightly smaller but my house is smaller than Okies.

I was out for 9 days in 2006 storm. Could have used it then.

One thing to consider, is that when the power goes out big time, there is no electricity

to pump gas, usually. Most gas stations around here do not have backup power.

They just lock the door and go home.

Propane, while being more expensive to install, generally are more user friendly in the

fuel department.

Thing that has me scratching my head is how big of one do I need? have electric heat here. Just a fridge and lights, plus two computers.........Buck :wacko::mellow:<_<:blush:

Buck:

Got my power back about an hour ago.

Several generator mfg. have estimating web pages to help; from what I can see, a 2300 sq ft house, with the usual array of ordinary appliances, with the added load of a well pump, freezer, and microwave (but not including the A/C or dryer)would run about 10-12 KV.

The lower cost of the portables is attractive, but the fixed units have the advantage of LP fuel, lower noise, insulated enclosures, automatic switch over and special winter starting packages meant for northern applications. I'm looking at units that run around $4000 including automatic transfer switch. Big nut, but I've had it with draining water from my water heater so I can flush a toilet.

LL

If you can stand the initial cost of the propane, that is my recommendation. If not a good size gasoline

will do the job. Honda makes a very quiet motor.

I needed a new service box when I had mine installed. So I don't really feel that cost was inclusive.

Whatever you decide to go with, please do me a favor. As soon as its hooked up call your local electric utility and let them know you have a generator. They will advise you on what you may be required to install to keep your generator from backfeeding onto their system. A backfeed from a single generator can easily kill a lineman working on lines to get power back on for you and your neighbors. Lots of units (usually the high end ones) come with a switch that will automatically disconnect your house from the grid when your generator is operating and make it safe to operate and not endanger anyone.

Sorry - my former training just kicked in! (Safety rant over.)

My 5500 watt generator uncharacteristically started up on the first few pulls, Wooohoo, Hooorah! Ran a few extensions off it and have the house nice and warm.

When it looked like the power was going to fail I set the house thermostat at 75 so I could have some extra time to get going in the morning, also to give me an extra edge again some of my pipes freezing.

Now keeping it stocked with gas is another matter. Had to drive to Manchester twice to load up. The first time was "credit system is down" I sure am glad I carry cash, just in case. The second time was "We only have Super, sorry for the inconvenience. But there were only two stations pumping, you take what you can get., even if it was an $80 fillup.

Archived