SASS Wire Forum

Loose Front Sight

Black Angus McPherson

The front sight on my Marlin fell off at the last match I shot. Luckily I was able to find it.

One shooter said I could use Loc-tite to fix it back in place. My question is, will it stay in place or fall out again? I guess Red loc-tite might hold it, but all I have is Green. Would the green loc-tite be strong enough to keep it from falling out again?

OR should I just take it to a gunsmith and have it staked back in place? I don't have a staking tool and don't want to scar the gun doing it myself with the wrong tool.

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Angus

The front sight on my Marlin fell off at the last match I shot. Luckily I was able to find it.

One shooter said I could use Loc-tite to fix it back in place. My question is, will it stay in place or fall out again? I guess Red loc-tite might hold it, but all I have is Green. Would the green loc-tite be strong enough to keep it from falling out again?

OR should I just take it to a gunsmith and have it staked back in place? I don't have a staking tool and don't want to scar the gun doing it myself with the wrong tool.

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Angus

Where did you find that thing? Loctite should hold it, but maybe a small punch mark on the underside of the sight or the dovetail would help

Where did you find that thing?

I found it in the grass about 1' behind my gun cart. It must have fallen off when I picked up my rifle to carry it to the loading table.

I found it after I had taken the rifle back to my car and gotten my spare rifle.

Thanks again for the loan of your rifle for the stage. I gotta admit, tho, I still wonder how I would've done if I'd shot the stage without the front sight. :D

Angus

Last month I realized my front sight was about to fall off right in the middle of a shooting string. I reached up and grabbed it, put it in my pocket, and finished the string.

Before the next stage Paola Slick took his knife and cut a real small sliver off a Diet Coke can. We laid it in the groove and drove the sight back on. Still there today and still tight as can be. I was originally going to take it back off and try to fix it "right", but it seems to be doing just fine like that.

C D

Try Cold weld appoxy, a little on the bottom of the sight will hold almost forever.I f need to remove it a little heat from a hair dryer will lossen it. It comes in two tubes and you mix equal amounts, do just a little, it goes a long way and starts setting in about two minutes so don't mess around after you mix. Good luck Chief

...a small punch mark on the underside of the sight or the dovetail would help

Depending on just how loose it is, this would be the preferred method. At least as I understand from a gunsmith buddy. You have the complete underside of the sight, both edges on the top where it fits in the dovetail to raise some dimples. Then make sure you only drive the sight in or out from the left side. Lock-tite will keep it in place, but once moved for any sight adjustment, you have to remove it and re-apply the lock-tite.

Center punch a couple of dimples on the under side of the sight.

Degrease everydangthing near the sight dovetail.

Put 1 or 2 drops of red #272 Loctite on the sights base and dovetail and install.

Wipe off excess and set in a warm sunlight to speed set-up.

GO SHOOTING the next day ;)

Cheers,

LG

Dimple the dovetail and red locktite...good.

Green locktite, depending on how loose, it might just hold, (better than red) but green is more permenent. Hope it's centered.

To tighten all sorts of sights in dovetails, I use stainless steel shims. The pop can metal is just as good, soft enought that you won't have to fuss with thickness (like I do with SS) and just as effective. It should hold as well as anything and the best part, won'y come loose like loctite or some epoxies do. (And you can still adjust the sight if you need to)

I'd shim it or get a new sight. But in a pinch, I'd get the black max Loctite (from Midway) - it's stronger then even the Red Locktite.

A dab of JB Weld has been known to fix sights, too. A trick I've used is thin the JB Weld with a touch of acetone. Lets the epoxy get mashed into the smallest cracks between sight and dovetail. This is recommended by JB Weld company themselves.

Good luck, GJ

A piece of Brownells shim stock of the proper thickness will do the trick. They sell a variety pack of different thicknesses.

Archived