SASS Wire Forum

.22 pistol

Johnny Swan, SASS #50322

I want to do some action work on my sons 22s, but I dont know if you can reduce the power of the main spring without causing issues with setting off the rim fire. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Swan

What brand of .22 pistol are you workng on? If it's a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six, you can buy springs from Wolff Springs. If a '11' is something else, I don't know.

They are clones and they have the colt 22 style mainspring that is a flat spring with a loop and a pin on the bottom end. I can find a replacement for them but not a reduced power spring

I want to do some action work on my sons 22s, but I dont know if you can reduce the power of the main spring without causing issues with setting off the rim fire. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Swan

Your 11 is really confusing, is that a 1911 Colt clone? What kind of gun are we talking about? Flat springs can be hour glassed in the center to lighten the hammer cocking pressure. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Howdy

You have to be careful with spring strength on a rimfire. It actually takes a heavier firing pin blow to fire a rimfire round reliably than it does to fire a centerfire round. It has to do with how much force is needed to crush the rim for a rimfire round to fire.

I have two rimfire firearms that became unreliable from messing with hammer force. One is my Marlin 39A which was worked on by a very well known cowboy gunsmith. I don't remember now whether he cut a coil off the spring or if he substituted a lighter spring, but the rifle does not always fire now. The spring is just a bit too light now to fire the gun reliably every time.

My other experience was with a Ruger Mark II semi-auto pistol. I put some after market parts in it to lighten the trigger pull. I replaced the hammer and trigger with aftermarket parts. The hammer had holes drilled in it to lighten it. After putting in the aftermarket parts, the gun became unreliable, not always firing. After some discussion with some friends I put the original hammer back in and the gun became reliable again. I believe the lighter hammer did not have enough mass to reliably deliver a strong enough blow to the firing pin. Putting the original hammer back in degraded the trigger pull a little bit, but the gun once again became reliable. Varying things just a little bit on a rimfire can sometimes put you just over the edge of reliability.

What brand of .22 pistol are you workng on? If it's a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six, you can buy springs from Wolff Springs. If a '11' is something else, I don't know.

I wondered what you were talking about, I fumbled with the number key. Talking about a SSA 22 clone

Howdy

You have to be careful with spring strength on a rimfire.

Driftwood, thanks, I was looking for some confirmation on what I had already heard. I guess I will buy 2 springs and try hour glassing them and see what I can do.

Just got back a USFA Plinker (.22 SAA clone) from Alan Harton this week. Out of the box, it had all the customary stiffness of a new Single Action Army. Alan worked it over and it now feels like a nicely tuned single action. He replaced several parts (including the main spring), but I couldn't tell you which brand of replacements he used.

Hope to get it out to the range soon (maybe tomorrow?), and expect it will work just fine.

Regards, TJH

Archived