SASS Wire Forum

Original Wichester 1887

Stoney Creek

Howdy

A pard of mine just bought an orginal model 1887 which has only one extractor.

His other original has two extractors

The "new" old gun will not extract. Nobody in this neck of the Canadian woods is familiar with this model original.

Is anyone familiar with this gun and where can parts be ordered?

Getting the gun to the US is doable but not at this time.

Thanks for any help

Stoney

All the early '87s had only one extractor.

The 2 extractors came in at the end of production after 1901.

The last run of what we call 1887's were 10ga only.

This outfit has IAC import parts for '87s. most will fit http://www.piscogunsmithing.com

Also look up Coyote Cap.

Cheers,

LG

Howdy, all early models around 26,000 or less SN# have one extractor and a plate on the other side of it. Early guns as such must be worked vigoriusly and quickly, don't baby it or work it slow. That said, and it still doesn't work, remove the carrier by removing the two screws on opposite sides of each other, now use a needle nose pair of pliers and with the lever open pinch the flat spring together and pull away from the central pin it rests on. Once out you should be able to push the pin out and the lever/hammer will drop free of the frame. Now check the plate side make sure the screw is holding it tight, next is the extractor, check to see if it snaps back when pulled down, if not the coil spring is worn out. If there is nothing wrong with the extractor, (broken) then it's most likely the spring. Using a dental like pick push the plunger away from the back of the extractor and work the extractor out. It's a bit tricky take your time. If you get it out remove the plunger & spring, now you can replace the spring. Any similar coil spring will most likely work, you will see once you remove it. Good luck, WBR.

Winchester realized that the single extractors could be problematic so an unknown number of that first 26,000 were sent back to the factory to have the second extractor installed. Don't know whether they replaced the breech block or machined the original but the service was offered on Winchester's dime. The extractors on my Chiappa will work in both my originals so the Chinese may also work.

My 1887 was made in 1890 (serial # 38xxx) and has two extractors. It does well if worked hard, as the other writers have said. These guns were made for 2-1/2" shells. Modern shells are 2-3/8" when loaded and 2-3/4" when shot. I have had good luck cutting the modern shells back to 2-1/4" to 2-3/8" and loading them like they were brass hulls (powder, over-powder wad, felt wad, shot, overshot card glued into place). This prevents the hull from hitting the top of the chamber mouth when being extracted. The brass hulls are expensive and require 11-gage wads or pistol primers, depending on the brand.

These are great guns. I am glad Oliver Winchester requested the John Browning design this gun when he kept insisting on working on the pump-action shotgun. I hope to use mine this fall 'harvesting' bunnies in the locals woods and such.

My 1887 was made in 1890 (serial # 38xxx) and has two extractors. It does well if worked hard, as the other writers have said. These guns were made for 2-1/2" shells. Modern shells are 2-3/8" when loaded and 2-3/4" when shot. I have had good luck cutting the modern shells back to 2-1/4" to 2-3/8" and loading them like they were brass hulls (powder, over-powder wad, felt wad, shot, overshot card glued into place). This prevents the hull from hitting the top of the chamber mouth when being extracted. The brass hulls are expensive and require 11-gage wads or pistol primers, depending on the brand.

These are great guns. I am glad Oliver Winchester requested the John Browning design this gun when he kept insisting on working on the pump-action shotgun. I hope to use mine this fall 'harvesting' bunnies in the locals woods and such.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have e-mailed this thread to my pard and the gunsmith who has the gun.

Wrangler Jones...Thanks for pointing that out that missing "N" ...we are going to get the gun back right away and shoot it on halloween :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Stoney

As Wild Ben said, the single extractor models work just not as well. One of the reasons for the short throw length on these guns was to enable a sharp forward thrust so the gun would function correctly. If the extractor is the problem and the Chinese parts don't work PM me. I may have a couple of original spares and I might be talked into turning one loose for a cowboy in need. :)

Archived