SASS Wire Forum

Why do gangster thugs hold gun sideways?

Cause that's the way it came in the box...:lol:

http://shitwehate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/thug_sideways_pistol_aim.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I wonder, too, and have never found an answer. I sometimes teach young folks the fine art of shooting. One of the things I can bank on, even after I have talked about it and it's inappropriateness, is that the first time they, especially boys, are handed a semi auto and get ready to fire, they are going to do that. It almost seems to be a natural movement for them.

First, they are ganstas and second, they are too stupid to know which end is up.

:lol: yeah....but I am not into that ebonics cr#%...

but I did find this hilarious!!

http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator

you won;t beleive what it said when I inputed "go get my beer" :blink: ....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup. It's that gold standard of firearms training.....Hollywood. :wacko:

Gunner, once you hit "Add Reply", the post is no longer yours. All you can do is hang on for the ride! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I taught a young guy how to shoot a pistol back in the mid 90's that was really pissed off when I told him he couldn't the broad side of a barn using the Menace II Society sideways grip. He insisted on trying it and I let him. The target was one of the bigger than life size human silhouettes and was at about 10 yards. We were using the last 2 targets on the right end of the pistol bay. The target stands were about 5 feet apart and consisted of angle iron uprights and a cross piece of U channel that were about 6 feet high and 4-4 1/2 feet wide with a heavy cardboard insert so you could tack up your targets. He was 'aiming' at the center of the target on the right and missed so badly that his 5 shot group was just off the paper on the target on the left (about 6 or 7 feet wide of POA). Common sense broke out in his head because that little escapade also immediately removed any thought he had of shooting 2 pistols at the same time like they do in the movies.

I ran into him a few years ago and found out that he had joined the Navy out of high school and was stationed on one of the amphibious assault carriers. While on board, he ended up making the ship pistol team (didn't know the Navy had such a thing since I come from a family of Army ground pounders). He referred to his trip to the range with me as my 'knocking the Hollywood out of him' as far as firearms were concerned. (He also learned the value of hearing protection on that trip when he 'forgot' to put his headphones on before shooting an M1 carbine from under a roof. He said he was alright once he got his ears to pop but the ringing stayed for the rest of the afternoon.)

Dey hold da gun sideways, and dat's per "Hollywood Trainin !"

Now, ifin Hollywood Trainin wpuld tell'em which end is da bussnessy end of da gun, be a lot less crime !! ;)

Cause that's the way it came in the box...:lol:

yew slay me GG

mmm mmm talk like a pimp :lol:

(He also learned the value of hearing protection on that trip when he 'forgot' to put his headphones on before shooting an M1 carbine from under a roof. He said he was alright once he got his ears to pop but the ringing stayed for the rest of the afternoon.)

His went away? Mine has stayed for 41 years. :angry:;)

KILL SHOT! KILL SHOT! :lol::lol:

I've had all three of my boys try it just for grins. They couldn't even hit the target with Crimson Trace laser grips.

For reference though try this: raise right hand quickly and point at a far away object.

You'll notice that your thumb is below your index finger. Very very very few of us point with the thumb and index finger level to the ground. Almost without variation our thumb/index are plumb vertically to the ground.

The reason for this is the way the radius and ulna rotate naturally. If you put a pistola in there then it's rotated to the KILL SHOT!

It's also the best way to learn how to intuitively shoot a recurve or a longbow. The bow canted slightly and the grip rotated so that the index finger/knuckle is on top.

Bet you really bought "it's the way it comes in the box" reason though! :D

I was at a pistol range when some punk brought out his first gun. A desert eagle. I stood back and watched him shoot. First thing he did was hold it sideways. I guess that's what saved him from busting his face open. Idiot

I was at a pistol range when some punk brought out his first gun. A desert eagle. I stood back and watched him shoot. First thing he did was hold it sideways. I guess that's what saved him from busting his face open. Idiot

I carryed a 50 cal Desert Eagle Auto when I was riding the strom in the sandbox the first go round.

It do have a powerful kick to it, but in time, one can learn to control it..........some what !

I carryed a 50 cal Desert Eagle Auto when I was riding the strom in the sandbox the first go round.

It do have a powerful kick to it, but in time, one can learn to control it..........some what !

Saw some guys at a range with one of those. At 10 yards they were shooting nice 25 yard shotgun patters on a 50 yard pistol target. I went over to look at it and made appropriately appreciative sounds about it. They offered to let me try it (and I countered with an offer to try some of my percussion revolvers). I always start off with a new pistol off-hand (bullseye) to get the feel of it, I think that you only get the real feel of a handgun one handed. First shot was 6 o'clock about on the edge of the black. Put the rest of the magazine near the center. Heard one comment "He's shootin' the crap out of it!" It was a handful to control, but easier than the BFR in 45-70, and not near as unpleasant as that danged .40 S&W. When I achieved slide lock I handed it back. They looked at me, looked at it, looked at me. Packed up and left. I have a feeling they didn't do much shooting before.

They shore wood look mite stuid ifin' dey turned it upside down and shot it, barrel level to da ground !! :blink:

His went away? Mine has stayed for 41 years. :angry:;)

+1, 41 also. :angry:

RR

Think about it seriously for just one minute. Which way does the muzzle travel when you squeeze one off? Now, if you are aiming into a group of people standing in a cluster, what is the more efficient method of spraying the group for the most likely possibiltiy of multiple hits, with the muzzle travelling hiher in a verticle pattern, or with the muzzle travelling to the left (if right-handed) with a horizontal pattern? :o It's more likely going to hit more people horizontally than vertically (think drive-by). Ever watch the cop videos when they are standing just a few feet away from the bad guys, both cop and bad-guy are dumping their clips shooting vertically and not one round hits either person? Think about that for just a bit, seriously.

I wondered about this myself several years ago and I actually started practicing this technique shooting horizontally with my right hand and using this logic I found that I can spray a multiple target area sideways (horizontally) much more effectively than firing vertically. Any of you vets out there serve as squad gunner with an M-60? Did they teach you to move from side-to-side when laying down cover fire? They did us Navy pukes when assigned to the gun-tubs on board ship.

Just another perspective from left-field.

Bodine

Archived