SASS Wire Forum

Reloading 45-70 Government

Judson T. Oakley

Lumpy,

Regular main match ammo made on my Dillon 650 varies a little bit from round to round. Some of my .38 rounds come off the 650 at 1.52 OAL, some is 1.54 and so on. What I was trying to say is that if you want every round to be exactly the same OAL, every time, a single stage may be the way to go.

WOW, you have a .020" "drift" in OAL :o

That press has some issues somedangplace for sure. I'd be call'n Dillon........

When I'm "bulk" loading SASS type blasting ammo. Using mixed brass, I never see more than .005" at the very most from my D/550

Match ammo run's about .001" diff. on OAL and have a bullet run-out of no more than .0015" T.I.R. which is less than Fed. Match.

BTW, the Palma Rifle team loads their practice ammo on a D/550 ;)

Cheers,

LG

I was tightening down my shell plate to get a more consistent OAL and my press was binding up. When I loosened it up enough to get smoother operation, I started getting the variation that I mentioned in OAL. I did call Dillon and they told me that that was not unusual for a 650.

Don't care what Dillon sez......There IS an issue with your D/650.

Just finished loading, on my D/550, 1K rounds of .45acp with 200gr. semi-wadcutter ammo. Using mixed headstamped brass, my OAL(1.240")didn't change .005" in all the rounds I checked.

Respectfully,

LG

Well, I am going to start reloading 45/70 gvt myownself, and found the answer that there were NO 2 die sets as on the Lee website and on the Midway site they both list ONE, TWO and THREE die sets.

Since I have been using Lee products since the early 1970's I suppose I will use them here.

I will let you know what I find in results.

thanks for the help, I think....

curley

If you get super in to this, there are many folks that end up getting custom expansion dies to provied the "Magic" Neck tension. Depending on who you read that is anywhere from less than 0 interference (no sizing thumb seated) with or without crimp to a couple of thousands under bullet diameter. With anywhere from a roll crimp to just enough to get the bell out to some who leave some of the bell in to center round in chamber. I swear if you think you can only reload black powder the tuesday after a second full moon in the same month at low tide, there will be someone that says that all those conditions are required but the best loads happen if there is an incease in coronal activity on the sun at the same time.

Plenty of apparent voodoo out there.

In any case track of the wolf has sized expanders.

Archived