SASS Wire Forum

Cattle Drives, Etc.

SIESTA, SASS #21303

How did the drovers ward off mosquitos, fleas, ticks and chiiggers during a cattle drive? How did they stay dry, especially at night to sleep, when it was raining? It would seem that the answer to both would be that they didn't. I would think the experience would have been pretty miserable.

Siesta

I don't know about the bug thing but I do know something about the rain.

I recall reading in the book, I see by your Outfit the cowboys had raincoats with special flaps to cover the pommel of the saddle to keep them dry(ish). They also had heavy bedrolls that had an oilcloth layer. Cowboys also often carried some tarps. No where in that book did it indicate they used the tarps to make shelter but that is logical. In some of the pictures there are some tents set up near the chuck wagon but those were probably not for sleeping. I think the answer is they slept on the ground, under a tarp and got somewhat wet. It was probably a fairly uncomfortable life.

Siesta

The bug issue was just that the cowboys had to deal with it. As for the cattle the same was the case. As time progressed there were times when the cattle were driven thru dipping vats to control files, ticks and all insect problems. Rain and the elements were a fact of life. The only protection they had from the weather while on the open paririe was the Chuck Wagon Fly. That was the canvas fly that extended on the rear of the wagon that went past the Chuck Box. The Dipping Vats were used some years after the cattle drives were over in Texas.

I don't know about the bug thing but I do know something about the rain.

I recall reading in the book, I see by your Outfit the cowboys had raincoats with special flaps to cover the pommel of the saddle to keep them dry(ish). They also had heavy bedrolls that had an oilcloth layer. Cowboys also often carried some tarps. No where in that book did it indicate they used the tarps to make shelter but that is logical. In some of the pictures there are some tents set up near the chuck wagon but those were probably not for sleeping. I think the answer is they slept on the ground, under a tarp and got somewhat wet. It was probably a fairly uncomfortable life.

Howdy, Pards,

According to Teddy Blue Abbott, in his autobiography, "We Pointed Them North", the trail herders didn't get much sleep at night even in good weather, because they were generally on three-hour shifts to keep the herd quiet and bunched. In bad weather, the likelihood was that the cows would be jumpy or even stampede, necessitating all hands to be up, in the saddle, and riding. Teddy Blue stated that one time they were in a hail storm one night, and the hail got so bad, he had to hold his saddle over his head, and it had dents in it when the storm passed. :blink: He doesn't describe his "bed". Probably, had a tarp to use as a ground sheet, plus his "soogans" (blankets), and his "fish" (slicker). Just spread the tarp, throw your blankets on it, roll up in both, cover your head with enough of a hole so you can breathe, and wait for the previous shift to wake you for yours. Any wonder why drovers "cut loose their wolf" when they got to a trail town?

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

My Dad used to ride the line for up to a month. By they they did have line shacks but they were not a place you wanted to shelter or sleep unless you had to.

They had a standard bed roll that was made up of a couple of wool blankets and a sort of tarp that wrapped around that. The tarp was large enough that you would lay half of it under you, fold the blankets on top of it, then fold the tarp over the top. This kept you pretty dry. Of course they knew to use their knife or a small hand shovel to put leaves, pin straw, softer dirt or sand or whatever under you to both soften the bed and insulate from the hard ground. In real cold, they would put a few hot coals into the sand (when available) to provide more heat. They could use the tarp for a cover but generally tried to have something like a fish coat that worked better for riding.

He could fix a great breakfast out of almost nothing as well.

Archived