SASS Wire Forum

1897 Cimarron Pump Shotgun

Cobia Kid SASS #64303

I have experience with both. I would rate the IAC slightly ahead of the Cimarron. The Cimarron comes with lots of items that no other 97 did or does. Hard chromed bore and chamber, rubber butt pad, real walnut wood, major parts are serial number stamped to receiver, parts fit and function is pretty good out of the box and can really be made to run smooth with an action job, as can the IAC. Having said that, the first Cimarron's had problems and almost every one of them had to be sent to a gunsmith by Cimarron before they were sold to you and I. Lots of them had to be sent back to Cimarron for repairs because of the problem. I am also not sure if they are still importing them. I will assume that if you buy one from Cimarron it will have had the repairs made to it. Still can't beat a good original 97. Hope this helps. :FlagAm:

The Cimarron comes with lots of items that no other 97 did or does....real walnut wood,

The IACs made from series 06 (2006) forward all seem to have been built with American walnut, nicely finished. A big improvement over the old red-stained monkey wood.

Good luck, GJ

Some of the Cimarron/TTN '97's have had issues. They usually have some in stock that have had action jobs. I would recommend getting one of those, since any problems should have already been addressed.

I have experience with both. I would rate the IAC slightly ahead of the Cimarron. The Cimarron comes with lots of items that no other 97 did or does. Hard chromed bore and chamber, rubber butt pad, real walnut wood, major parts are serial number stamped to receiver, parts fit and function is pretty good out of the box and can really be made to run smooth with an action job, as can the IAC. Having said that, the first Cimarron's had problems and almost every one of them had to be sent to a gunsmith by Cimarron before they were sold to you and I. Lots of them had to be sent back to Cimarron for repairs because of the problem. I am also not sure if they are still importing them. I will assume that if you buy one from Cimarron it will have had the repairs made to it. Still can't beat a good original 97. Hope this helps. :FlagAm:

Thanks for the information. There seems to be a fair difference in price between the two. The Cimarron being less expensive. I don't want to save the money and spend it on fixing something new. I have no way of knowing whether or not it has been seen by a gunsmith, but believe it would be coming directly from cimarron.

On the other hand it does have the "features" you mentioned. I may have to ponder a bit longer.

Some of the Cimarron/TTN '97's have had issues. They usually have some in stock that have had action jobs. I would recommend getting one of those, since any problems should have already been addressed.

When you say "they" usually have some in stock wih action jobs is there a particular they you have in mind?

Hey Cobia Kid,

I bought one of these, the Cimarron, a year ago through Evil Roy. The action job that is done on it for Cimarron is by Coyote Cap. I have been happy with this gun. No problems. The bolt has a jewelled finish. It also came with a rubber recoil pad attached which extended it out a bit for me. I had the stock shortened a bit to fit me.

Hey Cobia Kid,

I bought one of these, the Cimarron, a year ago through Evil Roy. The action job that is done on it for Cimarron is by Coyote Cap. I have been happy with this gun. No problems. The bolt has a jewelled finish. It also came with a rubber recoil pad attached which extended it out a bit for me. I had the stock shortened a bit to fit me.

Coyote Cap did indeed do a number of the '97 action jobs for Cimarron, but currently they are using someone else (not sure who).

Dang, if someone is selling the Cimarron/aka old TTN 97 for less than an IAC then they must be practically giving them away. I would have thot it would be the other way around... :unsure:

For those of you that don't live in NJ Cheaper than dirt has them. But they won't even ship to an FFL in NJ now.

How long has IAC returned to importing to the US, and where can you find them?

I don't believe they have returned to importing them, dealers and distributor are just coasting on their inventory.

Something to think about; since no one is importing the guns, also no one is importing the parts! (unless things have changed recently)....doc

P.S. problem is IAC= metric and TTN and winchester= english

How long has IAC returned to importing to the US, and where can you find them?

Bud's Guns.

Phil Rezak.

Story has been that the 09 series of IACs was a large run, and folks are trying to work off that inventory. The Chinese factory makes a ton of other guns besides the Win 97 clone and has been running those. In theory, when the 09 inventory depletes, the Chinese will make another run. Just hope their bubble doesn't burst first.

Good luck, GJ

Bud's Guns.

Phil Rezak.

Story has been that the 09 series of IACs was a large run, and folks are trying to work off that inventory. The Chinese factory makes a ton of other guns besides the Win 97 clone and has been running those. In theory, when the 09 inventory depletes, the Chinese will make another run. Just hope their bubble doesn't burst first.

Good luck, GJ

I own two 06 series and finding the metric parts for them has been a nightmare for the past couple of years.

Just something else to keep in mind

I bought one of the Cimarrons to use in WB and chose it because of the American screw threads. If I stay with WB I'll get it slicked by one of our local smiths but it's pretty good now after a good cleaning and about 500 cyclings.

Archived