SASS Wire Forum

Loaded shotgun

How common is it, or have you ever started a stage with ammo in the shotgun? I am not talking about Wild Bunch.

Fillmore

It's not common, but I have done it. Once it was loaded on the line and shot first. The other time we had three shotgun targets and started with one round in the open action.

Funny. I was thinking of a Japanese noble blitzed on sake.

Banzai!!

Then he broke divine wind.

Then he passed out. :lol: :lol:

Just last weekend had a stage like that at "Twisted Sister"

It's a match that they doooooo make ya try and remember the weird shooting orders...

They make it odd on purpose.. it's to be a fun match... they give you one free "P"

Stage 6.. start with the shotgun... go to the line open and empty...

Upon TO's order... load 2 and shoulder...

Say when ready... BEEP!!!

Just did this last weekend at Pine Mountain Posse (Bend Oregon)

Stage had 5 knock downs. Started with one on the carrier or in the barrel,action open. At the beep go to town! I liked it :D

W3G and a regular match once each. Usually done when there is a lot of KD's or a '97 stage. The '97's got to be stoked so naturally ran away with the prize.

Yes - we had a SG only stage and the shooter was able to start with the SG loaded and aimed at the target - at the beep they blazed away :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

On the ore cart at Fort Miller we allow the double shooter to have two in the hole, action open, at the start. '97 load two in the mag then open the action, thus having one on the carrier and one in the tube.

Shooter starts the timer themselves and the cart driver hits the gas. Shoot when you want but must go down to count and, if you elect to go after the bonus set of targets, knockdown and popper. Then switch to rifle/revolver to finish Mr. Snakebites Wild Ride. Average time is 36seconds for a 100+yard ride down a curvy set of rails in a ore cart shooting at 3foot square targets on the quarry face. There are a few clean runs but most miss at least one while laughing and shooting.

I think I'm gonna try this on the ground at Hell Town once it finishes it's remodel.

Guest Dusty Feller, SASS #20010L

We do it around here (Cincinnati +2 hours in any direction) a fair amount.

Usually load two, under direction of timer, take your stance, close the shotguy, DON't MOVE BOOTH FEET, and start shooting at the beep.

Somtimes held at port arms but usally aimed at target.

I don't feel strongly either way; do it or not do it.

It is just another way to starts; if done safely!

I've seen "Shotgun at the ready" a few times recently. As stated above, shooter comes to the line, when the RO says load & close, we do, then standby, beep boom boom. usually it is just the first 2 targets, then you take the SG to the next position and handle "normally".

"At the ready" is fairly new (for all guns", but variety is nice, too!

Done it a few times. Go to the line with it open and empty. On command of the TO, load and make ready. Line, standby, BEEP, fire!

+1

Done it a couple of times, just can't get used to it.

Randy

Not uncommon around here.

I've written stages where when you are ready, you shoulder the shotgun, close the action & say your line.

Like........"I've come to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned."

Just gotta make sure shooters know not to move their feet after closing the action.

97 shooters can load one or two.

--Dawg

I remember once we had an all shotgun stage (18 targets) on a double wide bay. Shooter was on the left side by a box and the targets were in a big semi-circle left to right. Shooter starts loaded and on the beep, shoot and run...shoot and run.....shoot some more and run...shoot till all down. I asked if I had to run and shoot? I had a Winchester 1897 with a 30 inch full choke and thought I could take them all without moving. Timer/operator said go for it....I did and cleaned all 18 targets without taking a step. Loaded 6 at a time.....BOOM...BOOM...BOOM....BOOM....BOOM....BOOM. RELOAD 6 MORE.

This was back in 1985 before SASS at Coto de Caza Calif. A monthly shoot. It opened a few eyes about the reaching power of a long barrel '97. Just sayin'

Big Jake

We do it frequently, although we usually say "loaded with up to two" since we discovered a surprising number of people have never checked to see if their 97 will feed from the mag...

Archived