SASS Wire Forum

Bear Protection

My personal favorite bear defense gun has always been a pistol in .22 short. I've found over the years when hiking in bear country I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone, you bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Ontario . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she MAD! We must have been near one of her cubs. Any way if I had not had my little .22 I'd sure not be here today. That's right, one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. That's one of the best pistols in my safe

:lol:

Slim

My personal favorite bear defense gun has always been a pistol in .22 short. I've found over the years when hiking in bear country I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System". For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone, you bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Ontario . Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she MAD! We must have been near one of her cubs. Any way if I had not had my little .22 I'd sure not be here today. That's right, one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace. That's one of the best pistols in my safe

Slim

Good point though!

I'm teaching my wife about things like bears and mountain lions as we are moving out west. I've lived out there and seen it all before but she has never been exposed to the likes of a grumpy momma bear in the wild. It will surely be a learning experience for her!

I just hope she don't freak and shoot me in the knee cap during her quick exit! :lol::huh:

~EE Taft~

When in bear country, always travel with a buddy who can't run nearly as fast as yourself..

Oh yeah, and always carry a .44 Magnum just in case the bear ain't hungry! :rolleyes:

I went razorback huntin' long time ago. Saw a boar, pulled my scoped 30-30 out and though...naaa... too easy.

So I let dat boar git closer to me and drew my Dad's 45Colt from the hoislter, cocked da hammer and fired.

It hit dat boar square on da forehead and dropped him to his knees. "Hehehe, looks like good eattin tonight !" I thought.

Den dat mean ole boar got back on his feet somehow, shook it off, saw me shakin' like a leaf on a tree and charged !

Now, pitcure dis, A halfbreed with a single action 45 Colt, runnin' as fast as possible, pants severly soiled. I got very mad, very quick.

I slide to a stop, drew a bread, fired, recocked and fired again.

I cut dat big boars throat, and lugged him back to my pick-em up truck, but he still aint dead yet. He was still kickin !!

When I got back to the house, I proceded to change my pants !! :lol:;):P

While I love a 22, when I lived in AZ I carried a 357 SM with hollow points.. lol.. On the ATV and saddle I had a 3030 Marlin Lever And I hoped it would stop them. Horses are not really lovers of gunfire always, so a double barrel 12 gauge was out of the question.. I really don't know what a great bear stopper would be, but I carried the biggest I had just ine case.

Just returned from a wilderness elk hunt in Wyoming next to Yellowstone NP and had an experience with 4 Grizzs up close, they are awsome animals. I was packin my 686 .357 & bear spray (a requirement from the outfitter) and my guide had a Ruger .44 mag and spray too. Hard to realize just how big they are as I only had black bears to compare with. 2 sows prpbably weighed 700+ and the yearling cubs 300. If they decided to get testy (they came within 100'), I am sure I would have been undergunned :o Luckily they had no idea we were there :ph34r: If I ever do this type of hunt again or are in grizz country, I want the biggest sidearm I can get :excl:

Hahaha!!!

I carry a 4" S&W model 29 in .44 magnum. It packs a punch! It probably wouldn't be enough punch if I lived in grizzly country, but I live in black bear country so it will do the trick.

Is it the "Mountain Gun"? That is what I have and it kicks like a mule!

I always understood that bear guns start with a "4".

But then again, as close as I have ever gotten to one is a footprint. I like it that way.

Cougars are another concern living close to the foothills. Ever so often one is seen

in the woodwork. One was down in Seattle a few years back. Nobody knows how long

and where from.

Man is still on the menu. Never forget that.

But then again, as close as I have ever gotten to one is a footprint. I like it that way.

Cougars are another concern living close to the foothills. Ever so often one is seen

in the woodwork. One was down in Seattle a few years back. Nobody knows how long

and where from.

After seeing those grizzs up close and personal, what I want starts with a 5 <_<

I am of the opinion that there is no hand gun that is big enough for brown or grizzly bears.

You sure don't want to make them mad.

I recall a film clip of the famous archer, Fred Bear hunting in Alaska for brown bear. He took one with a single arrow. But there was a fellow standing next to him with a long gun that didn't look at all like a .22.

Another time, a TV hunter was in Alaska and he was carrying a .300 Win Mag. I am certain that I would not

want anything smaller than my 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

My Husqvarna is for carry whur I expect there to be bears and mountain lions.

Whoa~!!

Wolf, that is plumb COOL~!!

May I ask where one would get such inserts...? :) And how long they are...?

and where from.

Man, the other white meat.

I don't hunt things that hunt back.

Is it the "Mountain Gun"? That is what I have and it kicks like a mule!

Pard, the model 29 pre-dates the mountain gun by decades. It's the old "Dirty Harry" gun. His was an 8" barrel and mine is 4", but it's the same model nonetheless.

After seeing those grizzs up close and personal, what I want starts with a 5 <_<

+1 and ending with bmg!!

Never came up against a Bear but had an encounter with a Cougar one time outside of Sonora, Texas. Only had a single shot .22 rifle with me but a REALLY Fast Horse!!!! Don't know which of us was the most scared me or the horse :o :o :o

Archived