SASS Wire Forum

CMMG COLT AR -22

Trigger Mike

I have a "Colt" AR-22 that initailly jammed every so often but now that I use hollow points it shoots fine. I was at a local store the other day and the owner was telling me how awful the Colt is and how hard and expensive it is for parts and promoted I should buy the Ruger version or the Smith & Wesson. The subject came up as I was asking about a 22 for my daughter and thought a collapsing stock 22 would be best so it woul grow as she did.

Any experience long term on the COlt? Is it hard to replace parts? Is the Ruger or Smith better?

Howdy,

I have read a lot of good reviews on the S&W nice ar type 22 rifle but don't forgrt the SIG 522 also another nice rifle.

KK

The shop I deal with has carried both, but now only carries the Smith & Wesson.

The S&W models left the store and shot every time without a hitch. Any kind of ammo with no failures.

The Colts kept coming back with numerous complaints. Jams, FTF, light hits, etc. After so many returns, the owner dropped them.

He says the Colts have got too many parts, they're too complicated, and they're just too much trouble.

And the Smith is $100 (or more) less. That's quite a few bricks of ammo.

Not trying to put down S&W, but I'd recommend doing some research first. Some other shooting boards have several reports of the S&W's firing out of battery. Not wanting one myself, I only skimmed the posts.

I've got the M&P 15-22, and I love it. I had a couple of jams the first time that I shot it, but I soon realized that you have to be mindful of how you load the magazines. As long as I make sure that the rounds stagger correctly in the magazine, the gun shoots flawlessly.

I was originally going to purchase a .22lr upper for my AR, but the price was about the same as just buying the M&P 15-22. I bought the MOE version that comes with the Magul MOE buttstock, grip, and folding sights. The price increase was well worth it in my opinion.

I got a Chiappa M4 22 upper that I put on my DPMS lower. It eats everything I've put thru it so far, just as long as I don't load more than 28 rds in the mag. I paid 243.00 for it, not including optics.

Love it

Best thing about it, I can change uppers in 10-15 secs and go with Hi Power. Got two different rifles in one case.

Get her a Ruger 10/22 like this one

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/models.html

Cheers,

LG

I do have one, and even bought an extra stock that I plan on staining pink but her arms are too short for it right now, plus I just got another daughter so I am thinking a few years ahead.

My oldest used to climb into the safe and pull out the 10/22 and hug it and say it was her rifle so I always planned on it being hers, now she forgot she used to do that. I just don't know sometimes. I will still stain the stock, not put it on yet, take her to the range, ler her shoot both and if she likes the 10/22, put the pink stock on it and give it to her for Christmas.

Archived