SASS Wire Forum

Do You Practice During The Winter Months? How?

Bart Solo

For those of you who live in Florida, Texas and California (and several other southern states) winter doesn't slow down your shooting, but for those of us who live in the north and border states our cowboy season usually ends in November or December and starts again in March. If you are one of us not blessed with great winter weather how do you spend your off season? Do you dry fire, or do you just sit around the fire and dream of the coming year?

Howdy

I never practice for CAS, no matter what month it is. Waste of precious ammo.

But I practice all year round for Trap. Even in the coldest months.

When I was practicing anyway, I took the month of December off altogether. Didn't touch a gun at all. Then in January I started back up strictly fundamentals, shooting groups at the indoor range. In Feb I started dry fire and transitions, kept shooting for group. On warmer days I'd mix in the steel. By the time the clubs started shooting in March I was ready.

I am practicing with some dry firing with the pistolas (Rugers), rifle, and some neat 'dummy' rounds Deuce made up. It's the first time that I have really felt my need to improve this next year. Excited for 2012 :)

Also, we shoot here year round too - Michiganders can handle it :D

G(a SoCal kid, but when in Ganderland do what the Ganders do :lol: )G ~ :FlagAm:

Season starts in these parts in April... :rolleyes:

Last shoot in these parts is November.. :angry:

I do practice thru the winter.. I dry fire .. yep.. go to the basement and try to improve...

This is the best time for me.. to develope new.. better habits.. :) and try to rid myself of old.. bad habits. :blush:

I have some old muscle memory I gotta retrain... and I don't seem to get it done on the range at matches...

So.. I'm trying new shotgun style this winter... and tryin' to work on transitions.. that's where I need help..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' that ain't the only thing I need..

but it's a place to start :blush:

I go and wintur in Floreeda for tha wintur,,,,only git tu shoot 4 times a month here,,,boys it's ruff....ssoooooooo much reloadin tu du!!!!!!!!!!

B):P:lol::blush:

Cheyenne ;)

I pu the guns up after Labor Day weekend and pick them back up in the spring. This keeps me from burning out. By the time March rolls around I'm hungry for shooting again. If I did practice it would be plenty of dry fire practice indoors. Shooting in the cold don't help me much so I don't do it.

Before I started spending the winter in Florida I shot the winter matches at our range in NE Indiana. I know that in the six years I've been in SASS that our club has only canceled one monthly shoot due to weather.....I think it was last year when the snow was too deep to get down to the stages.

While the numbers of shooters shrink drastically during the cold months we still shoot up here..... there are some hearty midwest shooters.

KK

NRA Headquarters Indoor Range in Fairfax, VA, first Tuesday of the month, SASS with The Virginia City Marshals.

:)

Sneak outta work early once a month and have some indoor fun!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Practice? Practice??

Hell, I wish I could just TOUCH my Rugers, let along dryfire or practice! :angry:

Mustang Gregg

(still in SWA)

BTW:

I used to prime my old beat up .44 brass with wax or rubber bullets and shoot in the garage or basement.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Practice? Practice??

Hell, I wish I could just TOUCH my Rugers, let along dryfire or practice! :angry:

Mustang Gregg :rolleyes:

(still in SWA)

BTW:

I used to prime my old beat up .44 brass with wax or rubber bullets and shoot in the garage or basement.

Before I started spending the winter in Florida I shot the winter matches at our range in NE Indiana. I know that in the six years I've been in SASS that our club has only canceled one monthly shoot due to weather.....I think it was last year when the snow was too deep to get down to the stages.

While the numbers of shooters shrink drastically during the cold months we still shoot up here..... there are some hearty midwest shooters.

KK

There was some snow on the ground that day. I enjoy the winter matches their.

Guest diablo slim shootist

Last year winter was on a Wednesday and I didn't practice that day.

Drifter

No your wrong Drifter I remember it was on a thurs. :lol:

I dry fired for 15 mins and reloaded ammo for the match next week! :P;)

Archived