SASS Wire Forum

45 Long Colt Rifle and Shotgun

Curley Fryes

I need advice from all of you experts on buying a 45 long colt rifle and a shotgun. What brands and models do you experts suggest?

First, do some reading:

http://www.curtrich.com/GettingStarted01.html

Then go to a local match and let folks know you are looking. Handle as many guns as you can (and bring some ammo so you can shoot some, perhaps).

Then you can make a more intelligent decision for what works for you and your budget.

Marauder is right on. Go to matches and ask questions, folks will offer to let you try their guns, that's what I did to confirm my choices before I bought. The Marlin rifle was more natural for me to shoot, that's what I bought. Of course now that I've been at it for a few years, I want a 73 as well.

I need advice from all of you experts on buying a 45 long colt rifle and a shotgun. What brands and models do you experts suggest?

What category do you think you might shoot in???

A lot depends on that right there.

Its hard to go wrong in this sport with a 73 in 45 Colt. I have been shooting mine for more than 22 years and its still running strong. easy to load for, shoots great, very reliable (as long as you get the cartridges the right length), lots of folks known how to work on them and make (upgraded ?)parts, and no Marlin jam. But go borrow some guns before you buy, see what works for you. If you go with a 73, buy a Uberti made one not a chaparral (no matter how cheap a chaparral is, it aint cheap enough!).

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Curley

I'm a long way from an "expert", but I have been thru almost all the guns available. Real Colts are WAAAAAY too expensive, and they aren't really made for the rigors of CAS. Almost any of the Uberti clones are all right, but they suffer from some of the Colt maladys, just not as many, and repair parts are cheaper and more available. Rugers are ALMOST impossiable to destroy, and will last you and your kin a lifetime, given just a little TLC.

My first rifle was a Uberti Henry in 44-40, nice gun, but too unwieldly to suit me, next was a Rossi '92 clone. What a POS! I dumped it as quickly as I could, and I won't ever have another, even tho Nate Jones can work miracles on them. Next I got a real Winchester '94. Nice rifle, but suffered from some of the Rossi problems. Next I got a 24" bbl Marlin, and I have been shooting it for over 18yrs, and it has NEVER had the so called "Marlin Jam", and it will shoot any ammo I put thru it, OAL be damned. I now have two of them (as if I needed a back-up.) The original one has never failed me yet. I succumbed to the lure of a short stroked, tricked out '73, but have found it to hold second place to either of my marlins. This said, be aware of the newer Remington/Marlins! They are POSs as well, and the company WON'T back them.

As to shotgun, it is hard to beat a Stoeger Coach Gun, if you are shooting in a class that allows hammerless guns. Again, the one I use is well over 10 yrs old, NO problems. Oh yeah, 12 ga. There are a couple other S/Gs out there, depending on class and pocketbook.

The afore mentioned ststements are true to me and my experiences. Your milage may vary. Good hunting and good shooting.

AL

I beg to differ with Al on the Colt question. The new made Colts are very nice guns indeed and I still shoot a pair of original Bisleys that are more than 109 years old. So, if you want Colts and can afford them, buy them and be happy. They will always be Colts. They will need tuning like every other gun in SASS. Having said that, the NM Vaquero is a darned nice gun (but don't tell anyone that I said so). As for the Marlins, though AL may not have had a "Marlin Jam" enough other people have so that they invented the term. It used to be way worse in the old days, then Marlin made some changes and it became less common, now, according to Al the new guns are trouble. So, make your own choices. Like I said before, go try some guns and see what works for you.

I have two rifles in .45 Colt.

The first is an Armi San Marco clone of the Winchester 92.

Shoots well, and functions reliably.

However, out of the box, the action was, well, there's not other word for it, crappy. But, after having a good gunsmith smooth it out, it's a sweet shooter. And by smooth it out, I mean just that, I had it smoothed out so that it was like an orignal Winchester. I did not have it turned into a race gun by any account.

What all of that means, is that a 92 can be a good gun, but you might have to have some minimal work done to the action, depending on who made it.

My other rifle is an AWA clone of the Colt Lightning. It is as it came from the factory, functions smooth and flawlessly, and it clearly the fastest gun I have. Can't go wrong with one of these, if you wanna consider the pump action for your rifle. And as I said, works flawlessly out of the box. The same can not be said of other Lightning clones, so I would avoid them.

My Winchester 73 is a .32-20, so I can't comment on the clones in .45.

My Uberti Henry is a .44-40, so I can't comment there on the caliber, but I will say that their Henry's work very well.

For a shotgun, I normally use a 97. I've got two originals, one with a 20" bbl and one with a 30" bbl. Both are excellent guns, and don't think you can go wrong with them. As far as the Chinese remakes go, I've got one in Trench gun configuration, and a 93/97. Based on them, I think the quality of the clones is good, and they would not steer you wrong.

If on the other hand you are partial to a SxS, my advice is to save up and get yourself a hammerless Parker. Best double gun ever made, and well worth the expense. You will never regret having one of these. The only proviso I will give is that mine with the slightly over 18" tubes kicks hard if you don't shoulder it just right. Longer barrells to give some extra weight and thus reduce recoil might be advisable.

Revolvers... Save up and get yerself a pair of Colts. :)

Bought a set of the new Ruger SASS Vaqueros in 357, a used but tip top shape Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited rifle in 357 and a brand new Stoeger Supreme 12 ga. Coachgun with single trigger. Slicked the shotgun up myself, put Wolff spring kits in the Rugers, and have shot them in approx. 54 monthly matches since, without 1 single problem. I wouldn't trade them for 45's on a bet. Of course I don't shoot black powder, and never intend to, so larger calibers are neither needed nor wanted. Accuracy could not be better, and they are comfortable to shoot with little recoil. Cheap and easy to reload for. What's not to like??

RBK

I started with: ...and progressed to:

PISTOLS: 1. Charles Daly's 38...2. Taurus 38...3. Ruger OMV 45....4. Several Ruger 38's and 45's......5. Main pistols now are RUGERS...45 cowboy special/38 special

RIFLE: 1. Rossi 38cal.....2 (Uberti)Taylor 66 38cal...3 Uberti 73 45LC...4 Marlin 45LC and back to: 5 Uberti Taylor 66 Rifle 38 cal

SHOTGUN 1. Double 20 hammered 2. Win 97 12ga. 3 Several dbls 12 ga. 4. 87 IAC 12 ga. 5 IAC 97 12ga pump

My point is it's fun to experiment and if you want check em out at the monthly shoots and as a new shooter work the load and unload table and look at em all. I enjoy the fun of buying and selling. The above guns are only a progression of sorts, but I have experimented with 32's and bottom line in pistols I like the RUGERS.

Rifle is hands down the Uberti 66 or 73

Shotgun....you are on your own.

I reload so the cost is lower than buying new or having someone else load for me. Bottom line have fun.

KK

I lucked out by buying a TTN sxs as the 2nd gun I ever bought for CAS. For main match rifles, I've settled on a Uberti short rifle, a Pedersoli Lightning (26" barrel) and an Armi Sport Spencer carbine. I take all three to each match, now, and rotate them through the stages. As you can imagine, I'm not too fast, but those style points are piling up faster than I can spend them.

What category do you think you might shoot in???

A lot depends on that right there.

Well since my rig is Buscadero, I guess whatever category that's in. Excuse the ignorance, I'm trying to keep all this straight.

Curley Fryes,

Love the alias.

As long as there is no cross draw or reverse draw holster a buscadero rig can be used in any category except Classic Cowboy.

Check out the shooters hand book. Follow the links from the home page. It will give you a good starting point as to what categories you want to shoot in or are eligible to shoot in.

Most people getting started will shoot in whatever age based category they qualify for, shooting one gun in both hands. You can shoot duelist (one gun in one hand unsupported) in these categories also.

A quick rundown of the guns in order of my preference rifle: Uberti 73 or 66 second choice would be a Marlin 94 and I started with a Rossi 92 with pretty good success. Pistols: Ruger New Model Vaqueros I also like the Uberti Remington 75 replicas and the Uberti colt replicas origional Vaqueros are good guns but are a bit heavy and not much cheaper than the new ones used. Shotguns:I am currently using a TTN hammered double if buying new I would look seriously at the USSG shot guns many shooters use 87's and 97's both origionals and copies and SKB's are fast growing in popularity.

So you can see choices can be almost endless. Which is why you should go to matches before making any decisions that may prove expensive. You may just find some good deals on used guns that you would probably be able to try out before you lay down any money.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

What do you have so far?...That could help determine what caliber you may want to end up with.I shoot mostly 38's and once in a while I drag out my original starters in 44-40.Started out with a 66 in 44-40 then added a 73 in the same.75 Remington and Old model Vaquero all in 44-40.When it got too expensive to buy factory ammo in 44-40,I started buying new stuff in 38/357.Factory reloads were a bunch cheaper to buy.Then I decided to start reloading when the price of that went nuts.In 38/357 I have a 75 Remington,Great Western 2,and 3 open top conversions, a 66(sold it) and 2 73's.Had 2 Taurus Gaucho's and they were when they still built quality into those.Never had a problem with them but the later ones were pretty much junk.Also had a 92 Rossi in 38/357,but it did not like 38's.Ran all day as fast as you wanted as long as it was 357's in it.I sold the 66 I had not because I didn't like it,but because the glare off of the brass frame.If the sun was just right I couldn't see the front sight blade.What I'm getting at is like most of the others have said.Go to some shoots...try everything and anything you can get your hands on and then decide what to go with.Buy what FEELS best in your hands.Don't be in a hurry to spend your money til you try out as much as you can.OH...shotguns.....I shoot a Stoeger and 2 Baikals.Also have 3 97's.ALL in 12 ga.38's are the cheapest to buy and reload.Bullets in 38 run about $32/500 and in 45 about $47/500.Plus primers are less in small pistol than large.It all adds up.

First, do some reading:

http://www.curtrich....gStarted01.html

Then go to a local match and let folks know you are looking. Handle as many guns as you can (and bring some ammo so you can shoot some, perhaps).

Then you can make a more intelligent decision for what works for you and your budget.

I am no expert, and only been shooting two years, I own 4 USFA SA 45's and a Marlin and a 73....all 45LC....if I could do it all over( I have been through 4 rifles and 4 shotguns), I would get 3(need a spare, besides an extra gun is good) Rugers form Jimmy Spurs, a 73 from Long Hunter all in 357/38, and a Browning or SKG from a well known gunsmith and go shoot......you will never need another gun unless you just want to buy more, and you can be as competitive as you are willing to put in the practice to be.....but gun wise, you will be set as long as you stay in SASS(which I hope is forever)....just from my seat on the fence :lol:

I'm also fairly new, and I lucked into a TTN hammered SxS 12g at a gun show as my first SASS gun.

People often ask me if I want to sell it, I guess they must be rare now. It's mine forever!

Then several months later I bought a new Rossi M92 in .357 to use .38s; I never had it slicked, it started choking on me almost every stage, and a pard loaned me his fancy and smithed Uberti 66 and the difference was unbelievable. I sold a kidney and bought a Codymatic Uberti (Beretta-Renegade) '73 and it's way faster than I am. I sampled a slicked up Marlin once, it also felt smooth, but it's owner warned me that it has had lots and lots of work to get there. TRY before you decide.

Notice that nobody has recommended a Henry rifle.

Notice that nobody has badmouthed Ruger sixguns.

Some opinions are not very debatable, even here on the Wire.

:lol:

Since I don't reload, I buy Georgia Arms reloads 158g 38spl Cowboy Specials, 500 for $110.00.

.45 Colt would cost twice as much, but some believe it's twice as much fun, so try whatever you can.

Before buying your rifle, compare the costs and time involved in sending it off to a cowboy gunsmith and waiting for it, to buying a finished rifle (or shotgun) directly from your favorite smith. You save shipping expense, delays, etc.

What do you have so far?...That could help determine what caliber you may want to end up with.I shoot mostly 38's and once in a while I drag out my original starters in 44-40.Started out with a 66 in 44-40 then added a 73 in the same.75 Remington and Old model Vaquero all in 44-40.When it got too expensive to buy factory ammo in 44-40,I started buying new stuff in 38/357.Factory reloads were a bunch cheaper to buy.Then I decided to start reloading when the price of that went nuts.In 38/357 I have a 75 Remington,Great Western 2,and 3 open top conversions, a 66(sold it) and 2 73's.Had 2 Taurus Gaucho's and they were when they still built quality into those.Never had a problem with them but the later ones were pretty much junk.Also had a 92 Rossi in 38/357,but it did not like 38's.Ran all day as fast as you wanted as long as it was 357's in it.I sold the 66 I had not because I didn't like it,but because the glare off of the brass frame.If the sun was just right I couldn't see the front sight blade.What I'm getting at is like most of the others have said.Go to some shoots...try everything and anything you can get your hands on and then decide what to go with.Buy what FEELS best in your hands.Don't be in a hurry to spend your money til you try out as much as you can.OH...shotguns.....I shoot a Stoeger and 2 Baikals.Also have 3 97's.ALL in 12 ga.38's are the cheapest to buy and reload.Bullets in 38 run about $32/500 and in 45 about $47/500.Plus primers are less in small pistol than large.It all adds up.

I don't have any guns yet, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have a buscadero rig with a right draw holster only. How do you go about shootin with only one holster or do you have to have a double holster rig?

I don't have any guns yet, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have a buscadero rig with a right draw holster only. How do you go about shootin with only one holster or do you have to have a double holster rig?

Ya really need a double rig... 2 straight hang or 1 crossdraw & 1 straight hand...

Just starting?? I'd go with 2 straight hang.. Ya gotta do extra movement when you pull pistols out of cross draw holsters..

Being you don't have any guns yet... Ya need to decide what your gonna be shootin'

and then get your rig to fit the guns you've decided on..

You don't want to get your holsters and find out .. Hey my guns don't quite work right in these ... but I guess they'll do :blush: they won't do..

Again.. if you have no preference to caliber of guns... I'd go with 38 special...

Lot's cheaper on ammo.. and when you start reloadin'.. components will be cheaper also..

Like everyone has said.. go to a match... play with everybody's shootin' irons..

Don't feel awkward.. every pard will be willing to let you play with their guns..

Find what you do like and don't like...

When you pick up the first one... don't lock in on that one.. and say I'm done now...

They next one might be nicer fer ya..

Rance <_<

Plus primers are less in small pistol than large.

Ooops, agreed with you right up to that point. Nope, primer size makes no difference on cost most of the time.

Good luck, GJ

You'll eventually need a 2-gun rig. Until then, you might be able to borrow a second holster to put on the belt. It'll hang higher than the other side, but that's only temporary until you get another rig. If that doesn't work, you might ask your match director if you can stage your second pistol on the set.

Where ever you start you will probably end up with a tuned shortstroked 73 and a pair of tuned Ruger NM Vaqueros or a couple of tuned Italian clones in 38.

There are several pretty good shotguns. All of them need some work to make them acceptable for our game. The choice is really between a SxS and a 97. In SxSs a lot of folks shoot tuned Baikals without complaint. There are good Stoegers and not so good Stoegers. There are some high priced guns people really love.

I have been thinking about learning how to shoot my 97. It has a real advantage when shooting an odd number of shotgun targets. I am told 97s break a lot.

The reason people migrate to 38 is cost. It is just a whole lot cheaper to reload 38 than 45.

Having said all that I have a set of 45s (a pair of Rugers and a Hartford 92 tuned by Nate Kiowa Jones) and love them. I just don't shoot them that much since I started shooting 38.

Some ranges have props or tables where you could stage your second pistol, but it would be much more convenient to have a second holster made. Ask around for local leather workers, they can help narrow your options...cross draw or straight hang left hand holster to hang on your existing belt, or a whole second rig set up for left hand to criss cross with yours kinda like Curley Bill's. If you are very right handed do not discount a straight hang left hand holster, with a little practice pistols can be passed back and forth very rapidly.

I see you are "a bit farther north" so local clubs may not be shooting due to weather, if not contact some one in the club if they can't help you I am sure they can get you in touch with some one who can.

People on the wire want to help and can to a certain point, but talking face to face and handling and trying out different leather gear and firearms will get you started down your proper path faster.

Some thing I have learned in working closely with a leather worker if he suggests some thing other than what you have envisioned ask WHY that setup would be better than what you want. That may have a large bearing on your decision. Some of his likes or wants did not work well with my shooting style and some of my design elements did not transfer well to leather.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Marauder's post was 1st, and foremost it was, still is, and forevermore will always be the correct one. Short, simple and the absolute truth.

I've literally watch thousands of shooter's ignore, fail to heed or were unaware of such advice and spend thousands of dollars on guns that were either inappropriate, poor performers or ultimately, just plain wrong for the particular buyer, just because of their preconceived notions. The number of shooters that started with and are still playing with those same guns have probably only been shooting less than a couple of years, or are just stubborn, mule-headed, onery types that refuse to admit when they're wrong.

I started out with a Colt SAA in .45 Colt (and that is the correct nomenclature, BTW, the chambering anyway, what you exactly FEED it is immaterial), a .30-30 Winchester mdl 94 and a Riverside Arms side by side shotgun in 12 gauge. Showed up at my first match in 1985 and found out that as of that year, they outlawed the .30-30. I borrowed a mdl 92 Rossi in .38 and then proceeded to buy one.

I quickly found out that the Riverside shotgun wasn't the best choice in shotguns, so I purchased an inexpensive IGA/Stoeger. A year later I ran across a Uberti '73 in .45Colt and purchased it. 25 years later and I'm still shooting those same three guns, (added a second Colt SAA in the mid-'90s to make my pair). EDITED to add: Yes, I'm one of those mule-headed onery types. Not necessarily WRONG, but I just happen to LIKE those particular guns.

Have there been repairs, yes. Some simply due to the amount of hard use that CAS puts on any gun. Are there better choices? Maybe. Has ANYONE played this game for 25 years and not had a repair or needed to replace a gun? I have to guess and say, "...very likely NOT!" I'm pretty confident that you'd search VERY LONG & HARD to find someone that's played this game on a month-in, month-out basis for maybe 10 years and not had to have a gun repaired or replaced... regardless of what brand or model they're shooting.

ANYONE that tells you, "...these are the BEST guns to use in this game...", probably means to add, "... for me," but, for whatever reason, neglects to. I've seen champions of this game use Rugers, Colts, Ubertis, Rossi's, Winchesters, Stoegers, and a myriad of other brands. Few if any were "stock"... few if any, were the exact guns they started with... well, without maybe some "added enhancements".

All that aside, heed Marauder's advice. If nothing else, it'll probably save you some money in the short-term, even when deciding on leather gear.

Marauder's post was 1st, and foremost it was, still is, and forevermore will always be the correct one. Short, simple and the absolute truth.

I've been on that website before but not fer a long while.. viaited it agin'..

Griff in right.. go there and start readin'..

it'll tell a cowpoke most anything he wants to know about this sport

I have a right hand Buscadero holster too.I use a right hand cross draw with it.My Buscadero is for a 7 1/2 inch and the cross draw a 5 1/2.I'm one of those oddballs that likes to shoot 2 different length pistols.That's one reason I went to the buscadero for the right hand.My shoulders raise cain with me and pulling a 7 1/2 inch from a high mounted holster was getting to be a royal pain.

Ooops, agreed with you right up to that point. Nope, primer size makes no difference on cost most of the time.

Good luck, GJ

They do here in Montana.Large pistol primers here are about $1-2 per 1000 more.Plus if you have a good shooting season,you'll go through 2000-3000 rounds.Just a guess....that's a very good season up here.Down south that probably wouldn't get you past the 1st half.Then you add powder cost.Takes more powder to load 45 than 38....about double.So I know $1-2 more (up here)per 1000 for primers doesn't sound like much it adds up fast when everything is figured in.

Archived