SASS Wire Forum

Army to revert to older grooming standards

Doc Windshadow

Did you notice that attidude change after the war? I was stationed up at Langley AFB twice; once before and once after the war. Attitudes towards service memebers sure were better the second time around. :FlagAm:

Philly,

I didn't spend much time on your side of the bay back then.

We'd ride up and watch the races at Langley raceway and then high-tail it back through the tunnel.

Didn't realize the people around Langley felt the same way as the ones surrounded by Little Creek NAB, Norfolk NOB, Oceana NAS, & Dam Neck.

Attitudes certainly did change among business owners! My ship did an eight month turnaround from one 7-month deployment until the next one, and we were not alone in doing the short turnarounds. A lot of dependents packed up and left to be with other family. Lots of businesses closed and many more suffered heavy losses. Made them appreciate the money (if not the military members themselves) that the military (and spouses) provided to the area.

Didn't realize the people around Langley felt the same way as the ones surrounded by Little Creek NAB, Norfolk NOB, Oceana NAS, & Dam Neck.

Oh yeah, Hampton/Newport News area was bad. The people loved our money but they wouldn't even give us the time of day. That was '83 - '89. When I got back in '97 it was a completely different scenario. I don't know if it was the war or if there was some other culture change but, I enjoyed my second tour MUCH more than the first.

Oh yeah, Hampton/Newport News area was bad. The people loved our money but they wouldn't even give us the time of day. That was '83 - '89. When I got back in '97 it was a completely different scenario. I don't know if it was the war or if there was some other culture change but, I enjoyed my second tour MUCH more than the first.

I suspect it was your war and the yellow ribbon campaign. A lot of us older guys were determined that the apathy and hostility of decades past would not repeat itself. It didn't take long before most people realized that the returning warrior deserved respect and gratitude. Even the msm was on board.

I was sitting in a minor league ball park in '91 when they announced the names of two local soldiers and a Marine in attendance who had just returned from the Gulf. The crowd gave them a standing ovation.

My friend sitting next to me knew I was Vietnam vet. He turned and asked if that irritated me. I smiled and said "Hell no. Makes me proud to be an American". :FlagAm:

I suspect it was your war and the yellow ribbon campaign. A lot of us older guys were determined that the apathy and hostility of decades past would not repeat itself. It didn't take long before most people realized that the returning warrior deserved respect and gratitude. Even the msm was on board.

I was sitting in a minor league ball park in '91 when they announced the names of two local soldiers and a Marine in attendance who had just returned from the Gulf. The crowd gave them a standing ovation.

My friend sitting next to me knew I was Vietnam vet. He turned and asked if that irritated me. I smiled and said "Hell no. Makes me proud to be an American". :FlagAm:

I was in the Army and Reserves from '75-'81. I was given a lot of drinks thanking me for my service because they didn't get to buy one for returning VN vets. The people who bought me drinks were hard working types getting by day to day. If they were able to they would have to have been there to greet you on your return. On their behalf, I thank you and owe you that drink I got.

Archived