SASS Wire Forum

- - - 150 years ago . . . . .

. . the telegraph was a giant step forward for mankind . . .

. . . . previously the fastest that information could travel was the speed of a horse, or the wind, or if in a real hurry to communicate ... maybe a carrier pidgeon.

. . the telegraph was a giant step forward for mankind . . .

. . . . previously the fastest that information could travel was the speed of a horse, or the wind, or if in a real hurry to communicate ... maybe a carrier pidgeon.

White man not so smart, smoke signals travelled at the speed of light. Well ok, after the fire was lit and for short distances.

First electric device capable of transmitting communications? Sure.

First Social Network? That's a pretty far stretch imho. :rolleyes:

But at least he got is article published. :lol:

well semaphore systems existed as far back as the Roman empire that could send and relay msgs over extended distances (esp at night ) and by the early 19th a giant swinging arm system was sending market prices between Paris and London but the war with France stopped it and caused its bankruptcy and that of many of its backers though heliograph systems were used by both sides in the war as were of course complex navel signal flag systems

i spent 32 years with at&t, i started working on open wire 18 party lines and retired working on isdn lines that allow a customer to run 24 toll free numbers on 2 wires. my dad did 36 years with at&t before me and told stories of installing phones out of a bicycle basket and pushing splicing carts through alleys to work on lines. just close your eyes and think about of the progress that the american minds have achieved in such a short period of time and you should open your eyes with a new perspective.

Archived