SASS Wire Forum

First Duelist Shoot

Harvey Mushman

OK Pards,

Need some confirmation of my rule interpretation of the SASS Handbook. I'm getting set to try my first Duelist shoot (prep for CC and FC, soon to come) in a couple weeks (Last Stand at Chimney Rock).

I'll be shooting right handed with a cross and strong draw rig. My question is regarding the use of my off hand (left) for re-holstering my cross draw pistol as I move to pull the strong with my right hand. The rule book says: "The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one hand to the other."

My question is, does this allow or preclude the transfer and subsequent re-holstering of my cross draw pistol with my off hand, as described above? B)

Then, does this qualify me as a gamer trainee just for asking?!? :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Harvey

Long as your pistol is SHOT with one hand, unsupported, you can do bout whatever you wish with the other hand (except draw a loaded pistol). If pistols are last, you can even hold your first pistol( when shot empty) in your off hand and not holster it until second pistol is shot empty.

Drawing your left side, cross draw revolver with your right hand is perfectly normal and accepted as well as transfering it to your left hand to reholster it while you draw your strong side. I see it done very effectively all the time.

Anybody who doesn't do it that way is just wasting time.

Yes,

i do it all the time:

draw your cross draw with the right hand, reholster with the left

be sure to look at the reholstering, your right hand will find the strong side gun on its own

and don’t forget to find a place for the left hand while you’re shooting, i place it on the cross draw holster, this makes the reholstering a natural movement as the hand is just returning to its “normal” position

success shooting Dualist

Dutch Bear

Long as your pistol is SHOT with one hand, unsupported, you can do bout whatever you wish with the other hand (except draw a loaded pistol). If pistols are last, you can even hold your first pistol( when shot empty) in your off hand and not holster it until second pistol is shot empty.

True...unless stage instructions are to reholster after you have finished with each pistol. (no matter where in the sequence the pistols are shot..even last) Got a P once for this, thats why I remember to listen to the stage instructions closely about reholstering. :blush:

Long as your pistol is SHOT with one hand, unsupported, you can do bout whatever you wish with the other hand (except draw a loaded pistol).

I would agree with this if you are including cocking as part of the shooting process. I was corrected several times , as a newbie, fo rcocking the pistol with my strong hand thumb before reemoving my weak hand.

Double Duelist resolves all these questions quickly.

Here's something that works for lots of (single) duelists - use your weak hand to draw and holster, but don't get a shooting grip on the handle. Leave the revolver handle free for your strong hand to grab.

So, where does the weak hand grab the gun? Over the top strap! If you use a cross draw, the weak hand can have the first finger and thumb straddling the back of the top strap, at the hammer. Other fingers drop and wrap around cylinder to the bottom strap of the frame to give you a secure hold. A holster that allows you access to the hammer section of the top strap is pretty much needed to be able to do this.

If you shoot two straight-hang holsters, the weak hand is reversed - thumb and first finger down by middle of cylinder, and pinkie wrapped around the bottom (outside of) the trigger guard.

Watch a few top duelists until you find one who is still shooting single. You'll see what they are doing.

A previous post said, rather mysteriously and incorrectly, that the weak hand cannot draw a loaded pistol. That advice should have been stated as "you can't draw the second loaded pistol with the weak hand until the first is shot empty". When shooting single duelist, it is quite proper to draw the second revolver with the weak hand as the last shot has been fired from the first revolver. Just don't clear leather until shot breaks.

You will need to practice shooting weak side first and also strong side first. Sometimes you need your weak hand free to begin transition to next gun, other times you will need your strong hand free as fast as possible. And, don't forget, you may retain the empty first-shot revolver in your weak hand without holstering while you shoot the second revolver! This is a time saver especially when revolvers are the last type of the stage.

Good luck, GJ

My question is, does this allow or preclude the transfer and subsequent re-holstering of my cross draw pistol with my off hand, as described above? B)

Then, does this qualify me as a gamer trainee just for asking?!? :lol:

Thanks in advance,

Harvey

It's allowed. And it's not gaming, it's shooting smarter. ;)

Harvey, I just noticed your location and feel I need to add some MUCH needed advice.

Don't EVER listen to ANYTHING from Just George or Lumpy Grits and only listen to half of what Bad Bascomb says.

Me, on the other hand, you can trust completely. :P

Harvey, I just noticed your location and feel I need to add some MUCH needed advice.

Don't EVER listen to ANYTHING from Just George or Lumpy Grits and only listen to half of what Bad Bascomb says.

Me, on the other hand, you can trust completely. :P

REMEMBER PHILLY, I have photos of YOU 'In The Tank'. :rolleyes:

Just George

Thanks all for the confirmation on my weak (left) hand rules conformance plans. ;)

Right now I'm practicing returning the cross draw with it (over the top strap) - glad to hear it's legal. I'll try more of GJs advanced moves when I'm comfortable with this one (thanks GJ). May even work a few of my own motion efficiency thoughts in. Physical probs with left hand currently preclude double duelist and GF - maybe in the future.

The "gamer' comment was a tongue in cheek nod to some of the silliness that is occasionally present here. You bet I will take advantage of clearly legal moves as I've gotten my times down from sundial, to hourglass, to egg timer, to (finally) stopwatch. Working transitions, thumb cocking, and yes, that durn front sight now. First real opportunity I've had to practice, and I'm enjoying it!

Philly, I mighta known you Neevadans and transplanted ones (JG) would have (helpful) opinions here! I've been gathering data on which ones to listen to, but I did see a ring in our sheep dip tank a while back after a NV invasion!?!:lol:

Thanks again Pards,

Harvey :)

Philly, I mighta known you Neevadans and transplanted ones (JG) would have (helpful) opinions here! I've been gathering data on which ones to listen to, but I did see a ring in our sheep dip tank a while back after a NV invasion!?!:lol:

Thanks again Pards,

Harvey :)

That was Red Rock I tell ya, it was perfectly clean when I got out. :P

And, don't forget, you may retain the empty first-shot revolver in your weak hand without holstering while you shoot the second revolver! This is a time saver especially when revolvers are the last type of the stage.

Good luck, GJ

If you plan to do this, be sure to practice it a lot. Without proper mind/body conditioning, it isa lttle too easy to lose track of muzzle direction of the pistol in your weak hand. Your attention naturally focuses on the pistol being shot.

If you plan to do this, be sure to practice it a lot. Without proper mind/body conditioning, it isa lttle too easy to lose track of muzzle direction of the pistol in your weak hand. Your attention naturally focuses on the pistol being shot.

Here's a way that I use, and have helped a couple of other pards learn to control the muzzle.

Shove the elbow or forearm of the weak hand into the side of your body. Keep it locked there. Keep your weak wrist locked in shooting position. Then, muzzle will point only where your belly button points.

The more you let your weak arm flop around, the less you know where the muzzle is pointing. And, a natural tendency of some duelists is to let that muzzle drift down toward their toes. :o

Good luck, GJ

Shove the elbow or forearm of the weak hand into the side of your body. Keep it locked there. Keep your weak wrist locked in shooting position. Then, muzzle will point only where your belly button points.

^^THIS^^

Not only does this ensure good muzzle control, it anchors that loose hand/arm and therefore increase the accuracy with which you can shoot your second pistol.

(Thanks to Just Ace for teaching me that trick.)

Archived