SASS Wire Forum

OT - VA drug benefits

Recently found out I'm going to need a rather expensive medication. I haven't dealt with the Veterans Administration since I collected some GI Bill benefits for college after I got out of the Air Force.

If you're a vet who currently gets prescription medications from the VA, I'd appreciate it if you could walk me through the steps you went through to get set up with them.

Please feel free to PM or email me, if you'd rather not post your reply on the Wire. Thanks!

Regards, TJH

The VA is very helpful now days.

You take your DD214 and a copy of you last years income taxes to your closest VA administration office. Could be a VA hospital as well.

You go in and tell the reception person that this is your first visit and would like to be directed to Means Testing to sign up for benefits.

You will go to what is usually a small office room. They will take down your information. What is going on is Means Testing to see what benefits you are eligible for. There are several levels. If I remember correctly there are either 5 or 7 levels. The closer you are to 1, the more you get. Also the closer to 1 you are the faster you see a doctor as a walk in when needed. If you are in a waiting room with say 100 others, those with lower numbers are seen first. But the VA seems to keep very close to appointment times given. Within 10 minutes is my experience. If you're not eligible, they will tell you that as well. They have all been very friendly the past 10 years or so.

Again very helpful.

The VA is currently being inundated with Iraq and Afghan vets. There is a possibility that they are currently or soon to start limiting enrollments. If that becomes reality, it may be a possibility that you may not be allowed into the system without a service-connected complaint or disability. Most especially if you have a higher income.

Of course if you do have a service-connected problem or disability they cannot deny your entry into the system. Just be advised and prepared that w/o any service connection and especially with a higher income that you may have waited too long to enroll. Time is of the essence. Walk into the nearest VA facility and try to get enrolled if you can at once.

Service connected meds are no charge. Everything else is usually $9 for a 30 day supply. When I first enrolled it was $2. Some of the Wal Mart generics are actually cheaper now.

If the med is for a service connected condition income does not matter drugs and treatment free.

Actually better stated as all ready paid for by applicant.

If you ever put a toe in Vietnam (Laos or Thailand may count or if you did agent orange missions) check out presumptive service connected conditions attributable to Agent Orange.

Ischemic Heart Disease and parkinsons recently made the list. Whole bunch of cancers and some neuropathies are on the list as well.

yes, TJH if you are a Nam vet they have to take you in.

Just don't expect too much. As soon as Congress added the ischemic heart disease to the list of presumptive conditions for AO exposure I filed a claim as I knew I had the condition.

The VA in its infinite wisdom awarded me 10% but that it would be incorporated into the 40% I already had. In other words, yeah you got it but we ain't payin' one dime more than the measly 40. So now we have to battle tooth and nail with the appeals process. And that's a long hard row to hoe. Makes ya wanta tear yer hair sometimes. That 10% was important to me because at 50% ALL meds are no charge, not just the presumptive condition related ones.

It shouldn't be this hard but it is what it is. A root hog and die constant battle just to get what you need and have earned...

Good luck to ya, pard.

There are 8 catagories. Currently my wife is listed as 8G, which is the lowest as you can go and not eligiable for any benefits. She was Lt., Army, 63-68. I am in catagory 2, meds $8 a month no matter what perscribed, which is for service connected disability. Non service connected the charge is 9 or 10 bucks a month which started this year, best as I remember. Go to VA Hospital with your DD214 and see VFW or DAV represenative. Find out what floor they are on at the information desk. That represenative will assist you to fill out the forms and let you know ifen you are eligible for any coverage. Good Luck!

Anyone that has VA Questions, go to www.yuku.vets.com

Its got more info than the VA website....They helped me file and get 100% P&T rating..You can ask questions and get answers real fast.

Hellfire

The suggestion about contacting an outside rep (DAV, etc) is great. When I got out in 65, I was rated as disabled, but with a 0 rating.(really screwed up knee) Over the years it got really bad and I went back to the VA & after a really difficult time got 10%. Finally a few years later(after I was barely able to walk) went to the Dav and appealed the whole process. After 2 years (even going to Federal Appeals Court where they represented me), got 40% retroactive to 1965. Received a big adjustment check and I am now a Life DAV member. These folks know the system and can really help. I don't go to the VA for anything if I can help it. Lucky to have my own insurance (and Medicare) as part of my retirement package. Had a total knee replacement 8 years ago...it's a blessing :wub:

Tinnitus and Hearing Loss. VA rejected my claim for assistance. Of course my spending 3+ years on the flight line with B52's and KC 135's with engines running didn't cause or contribute to my problem. Biggest waste of time was finding a personal VA rep, gave him all my information, filled out forms, and unless I call him I have only heard from him once in over a year. I am truly glad that others are having better luck with the VA, my experience with them has not been good. I am lucky I don't need them for something more serious. :FlagAm:

Archived