SASS Wire Forum

Droppings for Coyote

Kool Hand Kate

I am Coyote Calhoun's oldest daughter. To begin, I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming prayers and concerns you have all given to my family and me. If you had the pleasure of meeting my dad, then you knew he was passionate about his beliefs and his interests. He was definitely passionate about SASS and would truly be grateful for all the kind words and thoughts. My reasoning for this post is because today would have been Dad's 60th birthday. Without a doubt, I would rather be celebrating than grieving. My request is for anyone, who has the desire, to share a Coyote story with me in honor of him. I would appreciate any memories you have of him. If you would rather not post it on the wire, then my e-mail address is katiecollins@windstream.net At his visitation and funeral service, there were several of you that shared how you met him or a memory of him with me. I believe those shared memories will come to comfort me again one day. Please take this request into consideration and post or e-mail your contribution anytime. Thank you again for all of your prayers.

Sincerely,

Katie S. Collins

Hello Kate;

I'm sure that your dad is having a happy birthday, even though we not all there to help him celebrate, he is in our hearts. As the Chair of the ROC, your dad and I worked closely on a number of projects over the years. He was a man of integrety and there was never any doubt that he would stand up for what was right. No matter what the situation was, Lamar would be the first to roll up his sleeves and get to work on it. There is no doubt what so ever that his influence on SASS was one of the most positive things that ever happened to SASS, and although things will continue without him, his guidance will remain in effect for a long time.

God Bless you and all of your family

Snakebite

Kate, I met your dad on several occasions and was impressed at how commited he was to SASS and the cowboy way. Our first meeting was at Mule Camp in 2008. I had gone to see just what SASS was all about and after walking around, talking to vendors and shooters I decided that it was time to sign up. I walked up to the SASS booth and asked for an application and began filling it out. He asked if I had any ideas for an alias and I told him I was thinking of using A R Jones since that was my grandfathers name or Tucker T Fudpucker. He had a big grin come up on his face, leaned on the table on his knuckles and said "You're a chicken if you don't!" so here I am and still making folks smile with my alias.

Hope that this makes you remember his smile and great since of humor.

Tucker T Fudpucker

Katie,

I have known Coyote for a few years. The one memory I will have was how great he treated the youth shooters we brought from Florida to EOT in 2009. We will again bring the youngsters to EOT 2012. It won't be as special without him. He will be with us in spirit.

Major Mishap

Hi Katie,

Here are a couple of fun memories with Lamar.

Handlebar Doc showed up at Founders Ranch back in 2005 with his sniper rifle because your dad wanted to learn about them. It was an Accuracy International in .308 and had a Horus scope on it. These scopes are used along with a PDA and a ballistic program. After he explained how to use it, they setup a 12” target on the parking lot and went to the house. It was a little over 1,000 yards from the back patio. Handlebar got your dad in a prone position and punched the data into the PDA. He told him where to hold for elevation and the wind. Lamar hit the target on his first shot. I think your dad cherished that shot more than any other. He didn’t stop smiling for a week.

I took my little tractor with a bucket and hole digger to Founders when they were developing the ranch. We were installing the split rail fence and loading/unloading tables. On the second afternoon, I could see a blue northern developing. With Coyote being from Georgia and Hipshot from southern California, they had no idea what I was talking about. We were working in shirt sleeves at the time and I explained to them it looked like a snow was coming. After a lot of laughing at my prediction, we continued to work. About 2 hours later it hit and we scrambled to the house as the snow started flying. We woke up the next morning with 12” of snow on the ground and still snowing. I left my trailer and tractor and got out of there in my 4-wheel drive. They said they would stay and ride it out. They ended up being stuck there about a week with 20+” of snow. After a couple of days, your dad and Hipshot realized they weren’t going anywhere in their 2-wheel drive pickups. Lamar walked down to the range from the house to get my tractor so they could attempt to clear some snow. Listening to your dad tell the story about him pushing through the 20” snow was hilarious. I teased him for several years about his 19” inseam.

He talked with pride about his family and those grandkids. He was a good friend and I’ll miss him dearly. Please give my best to Kay.

God bless,

Long Hunter

Hi Katie,

Here are a couple of fun memories with Lamar.

Handlebar Doc showed up at Founders Ranch back in 2005 with his sniper rifle because your dad wanted to learn about them. It was an Accuracy International in .308 and had a Horus scope on it. These scopes are used along with a PDA and a ballistic program. After he explained how to use it, they setup a 12” target on the parking lot and went to the house. It was a little over 1,000 yards from the back patio. Handlebar got your dad in a prone position and punched the data into the PDA. He told him where to hold for elevation and the wind. Lamar hit the target on his first shot. I think your dad cherished that shot more than any other. He didn’t stop smiling for a week.

I took my little tractor with a bucket and hole digger to Founders when they were developing the ranch. We were installing the split rail fence and loading/unloading tables. On the second afternoon, I could see a blue northern developing. With Coyote being from Georgia and Hipshot from southern California, they had no idea what I was talking about. We were working in shirt sleeves at the time and I explained to them it looked like a snow was coming. After a lot of laughing at my prediction, we continued to work. About 2 hours later it hit and we scrambled to the house as the snow started flying. We woke up the next morning with 12” of snow on the ground and still snowing. I left my trailer and tractor and got out of there in my 4-wheel drive. They said they would stay and ride it out. They ended up being stuck there about a week with 20+” of snow. After a couple of days, your dad and Hipshot realized they weren’t going anywhere in their 2-wheel drive pickups. Lamar walked down to the range from the house to get my tractor so they could attempt to clear some snow. Listening to your dad tell the story about him pushing through the 20” snow was hilarious. I teased him for several years about his 19” inseam.

He talked with pride about his family and those grandkids. He was a good friend and I’ll miss him dearly. Please give my best to Kay.

God bless,

Long Hunter

Great story long hunter

Archived