SASS Wire Forum

Did I get the right thing?

Based on a recent thread, I thought I'd give the lizzard litter and dryer sheet method a try for polishing brass. I bought the lizzard litter at Petco. It is finely crushed walnut shells... about the consistency of coarse sand.

Did I get the right lizard litter? I know the polishing medium of crushed walnut shells and jeweler's rouge I've used in the past uses a much coarser grind of the walnut shells. Before I opened the package, thought I'd run it by the authorities on the Wire.

Thanks, pards.

Regards, TJH

Sounds like the right stuff, but ya are supposed to get it from the cage before ya use it, not straight from the bag. the little lumps in it is what polishes the brass, not the crushed shells.

Yup, that's the stuff that I buy. Much cheaper than stuff marketed specifically for reloading. When it gets dirty and isn't cleaning much I just dump it out and replace it.

About five years ago I found a better product IMO http://www.kaytee.com/products/walnut-litter.php Less dust and sharper triangular edges,better crud cutting,less run time in the tumbler. Adios Sgt. Jake

I avoid any media containing rouge. The last year or so I've used a combination of corn cob and walnut. Walnut is known for cleaning and corn cob is known for polishing. No matter what you use, keep it somewhat damp to keep the dust down. The dust will spread contaminants such as lead everywhere.

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll open it up and give it a go. Stay tuned for the results.

For the record, I'll be using Gain Original dryer sheets (40 sheets for $1.88 at Walmart), and Zilla Desert Blend ground English walnut shells (5 quart size for $7.99 at Petco).

Putting it in a Thumler Tumbler Model B with some .38 Special brass.

Regards, TJH

Based on a recent thread, I thought I'd give the lizzard litter and dryer sheet method a try for polishing brass. I bought the lizzard litter at Petco. It is finely crushed walnut shells... about the consistency of coarse sand.

Did I get the right lizzard litter? I know the polishing medium of crushed walnut shells and jeweler's rouge I've used in the past uses a much coarser grind of the walnut shells. Before I opened the package, thought I'd run it by the authorities on the Wire.

Thanks, pards.

Regards, TJH

That is all I use except the dryer sheets to gather dust last few minutes or so.

...Zilla Desert Blend ground English walnut shells (5 quart size for $7.99 at Petco)....

I tried that exact product, and it was exceedingly dusty so I gave up on it. Hope you have better luck.

The first lizard litter I bought was coarse like comercial walnut media. The next time I went to buy the lizard stuff it was ground like sand so I looked at the bird litter and found it was like the old lizard litter. The coarse litter works good for me, haven't tried the sandy.

I tried that exact product, and it was exceedingly dusty so I gave up on it. Hope you have better luck.

Agreed my finding also that's why I ended up with the Kay Tee parakeet liter,little to no dust,nice sharp edges and faster cleaning. Adios Sgt. Jake

Agreed my finding also that's why I ended up with the Kay Tee parakeet liter,little to no dust,nice sharp edges and faster cleaning. Adios Sgt. Jake

Thanks, Ranger Jake -

If I encounter the same dust issue, I'll give the Kay Tee parakeet litter a shot. Where did you pick it up?

Just out of curiosity, were you using the fine litter in a vibratory tumbler, or a rotary one?

It's been tumbling for for an hour and a half. Will check the brass at the end of two hours. Right now I'm hoping the Rangers hold on and tie things up with the Cardinals.

Regards, TJH

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll open it up and give it a go. Stay tuned for the results.

For the record, I'll be using Gain Original dryer sheets (40 sheets for $1.88 at Walmart), and Zilla Desert Blend ground English walnut shells (5 quart size for $7.99 at Petco).

Putting it in a Thumler Tumbler Model B with some .38 Special brass.

Regards, TJH

I just checked the bag sitting under my loading table. It's the Zilla Desert Blend. It works fine in my Thumler and I won't try to get the last possible use out of it since I paid so little.

Thats the same thing I use, have been for 6 years, I also use the polish and mineral spirits, put a little polish in and spray a little mineral spirits in it, let it run for awhile until the clumps are gone, put brass in for 2 hours, good to go. I sometimes use the dryer sheet, have noticed when I started using mineral spirits don't have as much dust, don't know if this is the cause of less dust or not.

All for now JD Trampas

Archived