SASS Wire Forum

Where In The Rules-------

Jacknife

IF it was, I would expect it to be in the Shooters Handbook, page 5 where it details triggers under the firearms conventions.

It doesn't specifically say it is legal, but most who have been around the game for a while are aware that it is a common mod.

If you want to get specific, it could be classified as an 'internal mod' and inherently allowed under that language.

Only thing I can find is where it states, "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION OF ANY FIREARM NOT EXPRESSLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED."

So, is trigger swapping an internal mod that effects the external triggers?

Only thing I can find is where it states, "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION OF ANY FIREARM NOT EXPRESSLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED."

So, is trigger swapping an internal mod that effects the external triggers?

NO!!! Doesn't affect YOU anyway, you shoot a '97!!!

IMO...that would be covered under:

TRIGGERS AND TRIGGER GUARDS

• Triggers may be profiled to narrow their width.

• Trigger position may be adjusted.

• Trigger stops may be added.

• Shotgun trigger guards may be wrapped with leather or other natural material.

• Bending the trigger guard on side by sides so triggers are more exposed is not allowed.

• Trigger shoes are not allowed.

SHB p.5

NO!!! Doesn't affect YOU anyway, you shoot a '97!!!

Yeah, but I hate to get beat by someone using an illegal firearm, if in fact the change is illegal. (course everyone beats me most of the time)

PWB, I read the part about trigger position being "adjusted" but wasn't sure if "adjusted" meant the same as "swapped." I know if I "adjust" the brakes on my truck, it's not the same as if I "swapped' the brakes. Was just curious.

I would have to agree that "Adjusting" the triggers would refer to bending or reshaping them to change their front to back positioning within the trigger guard.

Physically removing them and swapping sides with them could hardly be called an "Adjustment", and since it's plainly visible, could NOT be called an internal refinement.

However, If Pale Wolf says it OK, then so be it. I see no "Actual" advantage to it anyway, only a "Perceived" one. Just a head game. If you think it helps, then for you it probably does.

RBK

If you want to get specific, it could be classified as an 'internal mod' and inherently allowed under that language.

Griz, How can you hold a straight face, and call swapping triggers an internal modification.????

I have been around and shot many discilpines for over 50 years, and an internal mod is just that. If it can be seen externally, they are not allowed if the rules say "Internal modifications only".

Can you explain the lodgic to that statement?

RBK

I agree with PaleWolf

Snakebite

Snakebite, I can't expect ya to disagree with PWB, since ya are both on the comittee, but for the life of me I can not figure out how the statement "trigger position may be adjusted" and "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION OF ANY FIREARM NOT EXPRESSLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED" would mean the same thing. Is it not a fact that "swapping triggers on a double is ok" is not "EXPRESSLY REFERENCED?? Still curious.

Snakebite, I can't expect ya to disagree with PWB, since ya are both on the comittee, but for the life of me I can not figure out how the statement "trigger position may be adjusted" and "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION OF ANY FIREARM NOT EXPRESSLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED" would mean the same thing. Is it not a fact that "swapping triggers on a double is ok" is not "EXPRESSLY REFERENCED?? Still curious.

The ROC agrees that, under various definitions of "adjust", that the trigger modification is covered under the current rule.

ad·just (-jst)

v. ad·just·ed, ad·just·ing, ad·justs

v.tr.

1. To change so as to match or fit; cause to correspond.

2. To bring into proper relationship.

3. ...

4. To bring the components of into a more effective or efficient calibration or state:

:P

Ya gave us the definition of "adjust", so how bout the definition of "switch" and "swap" also? They can't possibly have the same meaning. Enquiring minds wanna know.

I bet you're still trying to figure out what the definition id "IS", is, too. :lol:

Not really. Just trying to see how "adjust" has the meaning of "Switch" or "swap".

IS is the opposite of Ain't.

Ya gave us the definition of "adjust", so how bout the definition of "switch" and "swap" also? They can't possibly have the same meaning. Enquiring minds wanna know.

Pick one (or TWO, they're free!):

switch (swch)

n.

1. A slender flexible rod, stick, or twig, especially one used for whipping.

2. The bushy tip of the tail of certain animals: a cow's switch.

3. A thick strand of real or synthetic hair used as part of a coiffure.

4. A flailing or lashing, as with a slender rod.

5. A device used to break or open an electric circuit or to divert current from one conductor to another.

6. A device consisting of two sections of railroad track and accompanying apparatus used to transfer rolling stock from one track to another.

a. The act or process of operating a switching device.

b. The result achieved by such an act.

8. An exchange or a swap, especially one done secretly.

9. A transference or shift, as of opinion or attention.

v. switched, switch·ing, switch·es

v.tr.

1. Chiefly Southern U.S. To whip with or as if with a switch, especially in punishing a child.

2. To jerk or swish abruptly or sharply: a cat switching its tail.

3. To shift, transfer, or divert: switched the conversation to a lighter subject.

4. To exchange: asked her brother to switch seats with her.

5. To connect, disconnect, or divert (an electric current) by operating a switch.

6. To cause (an electric current or appliance) to begin or cease operation: switched the lights on and off.

7. Informal To produce as if by operating a control. Often used with on: switched on the charm.

8. To move (rolling stock) from one track to another; shunt.

v.intr.

1. To make or undergo a shift or an exchange: The office has switched to shorter summer hours.

2. To swish sharply from side to side.

Phrasal Verb:

switch off Informal

To stop paying attention; lose interest.

Maybe I'm just daft, but I don't see any unfair advantage achieved by this modification. :blink:

There isn't any real advantage. As I stated before, it's a head game. If the shooter THINKS it helps, then for him/her, it probably does, but not to the point of being advantageous over other shooters. It has more to do with what you are used to, but I see no time advantage to any trigger system, single, double, or reverse double.

The crux of the thing is that it realistically violates the "Internal Modifications" rule, without it being specifically excepted in the rules. It's things like this that make rule books so voluminous and complicated. It's very difficult if not impossible to cover every single possible happening or variation in any sport.

Much to-do about nothing. No foul, and no one hurt, or cheated. Just an interesting discussion.

RBK

The crux of the thing is that it realistically violates the "Internal Modifications" rule, without it being specifically excepted in the rules. It's things like this that make rule books so voluminous and complicated. It's very difficult if not impossible to cover every single possible happening or variation in any sport.

OK...if y'all don't consider that a rule interpretation as posted by the spokesperson for the ROC and confirmed by the Chairman of the Range Operations Committee (Snakebite) adequately addresses the issue, then I'll see about getting this "specific exception" added to the Firearms Covenants in the next edit of the Shooters Handbook...thus making the rule book even MORE "voluminous and complicated".

...but I can guarantee nothing in that regard.

:rolleyes:

Jacknife, are you really that bored????????

What do ya mean bored? I was looking for an answer to a question and the appropriate documentation in the rules to back up the answer. That's all, no more no less. Have you ever had a question that ya needed answering?

What do ya mean bored? I was looking for an answer to a question and the appropriate documentation in the rules to back up the answer. That's all, no more no less. Have you ever had a question that ya needed answering?

The answer is he is beating you with a legal gun.

The speed of any shotgun is only limited by the skill of the shooter........what is the point here? PWB said it was legal and Snakebite gave it a second........good enough for me.

There's a lot of folks who think switching triggers is an advantage. Just declare it illegal and prepare for the blowback.

It's like putting a Super Blackhawk hammer on a Vaquero...hard to call that an "internal modification", but we are living with that one too.

Have had mine switched for 7 years from the time I started.

Other had it LONG before that.

It's just now on your mind.

Was asked. Answered by the ROC.

Just what is is??? BC.

PWB, I read the part about trigger position being "adjusted" but wasn't sure if "adjusted" meant the same as "swapped." I know if I "adjust" the brakes on my truck, it's not the same as if I "swapped' the brakes. Was just curious.

Your truck has BRAKES??

Drifter

Maybe I'm just daft, but I don't see any unfair advantage achieved by this modification. :blink:

With the triggers switched/adjusted the front trigger is on the left side and once it is pulled the finger can easily slip straight back to the rear which is now on the right side. You don't have remove your finger to reach around the front trigger to get to the back trigger. I personally think this is a faster setup than even the single trigger guns because you don't have to let up on the trigger to get a reset required of the single trigger gun.

With the triggers switched/adjusted the front trigger is on the left side and once it is pulled the finger can easily slip straight back to the rear which is now on the right side. You don't have remove your finger to reach around the front trigger to get to the back trigger. I personally think this is a faster setup than even the single trigger guns because you don't have to let up on the trigger to get a reset required of the single trigger gun.

'cept ifin' you got 'stubby fingers' like ME! Then it's really easy to touch off BOTH TRIGGERS!!!! :wacko: Think I'll have them put back! Too Bad I can't have that done before Comin' At Cha :unsure:

Archived