SASS Wire Forum

Regular Shooting & Wild Bunch Mixed Posses

Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life

This past spring a pard and I went south to shoot on a 5 week binge.One club we shot at mixed WB shooters in with CAS shooters shooting the same stages as we did.Couldn't tell the difference in the flow of the shoot.It was mentioned and brought up at our monthly board in Sept and we decided to give it a try, and just add WB as a catagory rather than a seperate shoot.Our club has a few WB shooters,not a lot,just a few.Stages were written so there'd be no split pistol and the ones that wanted to give it a try were allowed to shoot any semi as long as they used lead bullets.Same for those not having a 97...any pump shotgun.I KNOW...that's NOT "PURE" WB,but it gave a chance for our shooters to try something new or different.We also were NOT pure in the round count.Just 10 pistol instead of 20 or 30 and for those that had semi's but not the leather; staging tables were used.We had several that shot it and said they had a ball doing something "out of the ordinary" for a change.A few that did said they had fun,but would stick to cowboy because they enjoy that more.Is it something I'd like to see at all of our matches (we shoot twice a month)?Probably not,but offering it at one of the two I can't see where that'd be a problem.But more strict following of the WB rules regarding round count,and firearms would or should be more strict if it were to be a regular thing.This was done as a FUN option for those wanting to try it.

Funny you should ask. After the Convention last year I was asked to help grow Wild Bunch. One of the ways was to get my club to host the Nevada Stage WB Championship. We did that and by most accounts that I've heard, it was one of the best Wild Bunch matches ever. On the other hand, there were folks there that had no idea what a real Wild Bunch match was like. After two days they were wiped out and had lost most all interest in ever doing it again. That's a sad state of affairs, especially since it could be prevented.

As far as protecting anyone, why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't ANYBODY. I've seen it and Allie Mo has gave another example of exactly what I feared. That type of scenario repeated many times over will kill Wild Bunch.

:ph34r::ph34r: <<<<<<--------->[>[>[

Dear Masked Marauder,

Did the WBAS think that the best way to promote Wild Bunch is to keep as many people from participating as possible before they get to a big Wild Bunch shoot all geared up and raring to go w/o any BLEEPING idea about XXX they're doing?

See, the only sports that I've ever done; SCUBA (start shallow), Skiing (start flat), trap, skeet, sporting (start straight away & close), Boxing/MMA (start white belt), motorcycles (parking lot), swimming (shallow end), roping (dummy from the ground) etc. etc. have all taught that it is better to crawl before trying to walk.

Is the WBAS plan to just walk up and ask, "HEY! I see you're a shooter. Do ya have a 1911 and feel the need to shoot way out targets with a gajillion mag changes and 1 hour stages? The cool thing is that you get to dress like a cowboy and buy all new clothes and guns."

Confused in Texas,

Brother King

I try to stay busy on a posse.. I try not to stand around when I see there's a job to do..

Loading table, unloading table, spotter, brass picker..

I guess I could agree with a lone wild bunch POSSE being thrown in to the mix of a local cowboy match..(kinda think it ought to be a separate match)

But I do not like to pick up brass for Wild Bunch...

Them 1911's throw brass every which way.. let them pick up there own..

Rance <_<

Thinkin'.. that's about it :)

don't like shaggin' brass fer 1911's

:ph34r::ph34r: <<<<<<--------->[>[>[

Dear Masked Marauder,

Did the WBAS think that the best way to promote Wild Bunch is to keep as many people from participating as possible before they get to a big Wild Bunch shoot all geared up and raring to go w/o any BLEEPING idea about XXX they're doing?

See, the only sports that I've ever done; SCUBA (start shallow), Skiing (start flat), trap, skeet, sporting (start straight away & close), Boxing/MMA (start white belt), motorcycles (parking lot), swimming (shallow end), roping (dummy from the ground) etc. etc. have all taught that it is better to crawl before trying to walk.

Is the WBAS plan to just walk up and ask, "HEY! I see you're a shooter. Do ya have a 1911 and feel the need to shoot way out targets with a gajillion mag changes and 1 hour stages? The cool thing is that you get to dress like a cowboy and buy all new clothes and guns."

Confused in Texas,

Brother King

You're looking at this as though WBAS is some brand new entity that's just had the packaging removed. WBAS has been around for what, four - five - six years? The introductory period (Start shallow, start flat, start straight away & close) has already come and gone. The time for it to stand alone is now.

If I ever come across that kind of thing at a Match ,,,,,, I will walk !!!! and after reclaiming any funds paid ... I would never come back and I would let every Cowboy Shooter know about it !!!

DO NOT EVER MIX THE TWO DIFFERENT GAMES !!!!

And in my opinion WB has no place taking time away from Cowboy shooting of any kind ...

Jabez Cowboy ,,,, Not Wild Bunch Shooter

I'm not a WB enthuiast either.I've had all the guns necessary for longer than my cowboy guns and I started shooting CAS 10+ years ago.I've tried WB but just didn't like it as much as our regular format.In defense of what I said before,the way it was run this last month and at the one we shot at this spring;you couldn't tell the difference in the flow of the shoot unless you were looking at the guns being used.Same stages being shot and the only added chore was more brass to pick.Am I advocating making it a regular thing at all CAS matches....NO.But once in a while is ok as long as there's not enough demand to have a stand alone WB shoot.

Jabez...

I had similiar feelings prior to this match. I traveled over 600 miles to meet some Pards and shoot the match and surely wasn't going to go home when I found out about WB shooting integrated in the regular posses. During the match the only difference for me was picking up extra brass from the 1911s and counting more shots from them. Not a problem as there was only 2 WB shooters with us.

It was different and FUN :lol: Nuff said :excl:

Jabez...

I had similiar feelings prior to this match. I traveled over 600 miles to meet some Pards and shoot the match and surely wasn't going to go home when I found out about WB shooting integrated in the regular posses. During the match the only difference for me was picking up extra brass from the 1911s and counting more shots from them. Not a problem as there was only 2 WB shooters with us.

It was different and FUN :lol: Nuff said :excl:

Your Call ,,,, And Your Right ....

And I support it fully ....

But if it was to happen to me ,,,, I would not go back ...

Jabez Cowboy

One Club shoots there WB after the Cowboy Match.The ones that want to shoot WB have the stages to themselves. This way they get to shoot both without affecting eather. Seems to work very good!

I come for the Cowboy Shoot. I'm not interested in Mixing it up. NBC

Rance <_<

Yup, and I am sure that all the '73 rifles you have ever seen put them empties all in a nice pile for ya. Sure.;0

You're looking at this as though WBAS is some brand new entity that's just had the packaging removed. WBAS has been around for what, four - five - six years? The introductory period (Start shallow, start flat, start straight away & close) has already come and gone. The time for it to stand alone is now.

You're right, MM... well, from a big city perspective. The rest of us have only seen it for a couple of years... then thought about it; had to buy guns; get some trigger time in WB.

Sand Creek Raiders out our way has probably shot WB the longest of any club. It's still only a 5th Sat deal. So is Pawnee Station. It all takes a while and we can see by the posts that folks are just starting to get accustomed to seeing it and just starting to shoot it more.

Jabez, I would never ever let anything have that much power over whether or not I was going to have a fun day doing what I love to do. Honestly, I feel sorry for you.

In my year and a half shooting SASS, (approx. 54 Monthly matches), I have only seen WB shooting about a dozen times, (more or less), and all were intermixed into regular CAS shooting. There NEVER has been any problems or never has it interferred with the rest of the shooting, and is interesting to everyone on the posse.

This is what pic'd my interest, and like to shoot it occasionally, (by no means regularly), as a diversion from the standard game. As to true WB shooting, there is none within reasonable driving distance from my home, so getting involved with the true WB game is not realistic for me at this time, and probably won't be any time soon.

It's all fun, whether some people want to admit it. I have never heard anyone express displeasure of it at any of our Monthly matches, only here on the Wire. Seems we have some very hard nosed purists here, and don't have the interest of doing things "The Cowboy Way", in letting people have some good clean shooting fun, without necessarily walking the chalk line. Monthly matches many times don't exactly follow SASS guidelines at all times anyway, and many inject "Range Specific" rules, to suit their own purposes. So I see no problem with them allowing "Cowboy WB Shooting", if they so desire.

RBK

Good evening. Most everyone knows I'm CLASSIC COWBOY till I die, but I do enjoy a change of pace, as in Wild Bunch. I took the WB RO Course at EoT this year and it was made clear the WBAS is NOT CAS. As a WB RO, there are a lot of actions involving a 1911 you must be aware of. Safely moving through the course of fire with a 1911 and split SG and split rifle positions requires new concentrations for the shooter, spotters, and the RO. We found this out at the Texas State WB Match!

Wild Bunch shooters should not be mixed in with a regular CAS posse shooters. It's not fair to either type of shooter. A posse should consist all of one type. Stages should be wrote differently for WB. WB posses can be smaller than a regular posse of 14-16 shooters.

Ideally, WBAS should be a SIDE MATCH. If a club wanted to have an open WB, so that shooters could try it out using what guns they had, that would be OK, in my opinion, but with a qualified WB RO and WB match director.

I like shooting WB, but I'm still a Classic Cowboy shooter and I don't mix the two.

Ghost

I try to stay busy on a posse.. I try not to stand around when I see there's a job to do..

Loading table, unloading table, spotter, brass picker..

I guess I could agree with a lone wild bunch POSSE being thrown in to the mix of a local cowboy match..(kinda think it ought to be a separate match)

Rance <_<

There is a very easy fix for that: leave the stupid brass lay on the ground and go on. Everybody mark their brass in a distinctive manner. After the match, if YOU want your brass go back and pick up your OWN brass. Easy peasy. Of course this cannot be implemented because cowboy shooters are so emotionally attached to their stoopid brass they cannot stand for it to lay on the ground more than a few seconds. As if it's gonna soak into the ground and disappear forever. It ain't, it's still gonna be there waitin' for ya AFTER the match. But NOOOO cowboy shooters have gotten spoiled rotten and are so used to having indentured servants (aka brass shaggers) bring their precious brass to them before they can leave the ULT.

People that have never picked up a piece of brass in their entire natural lives have no shame about some poor brass rat having to fetch their brass for them. The system stinks. Leave it lay until after the match. Then if YOU want it, YOU fetch it. I am sick of fetching brass and someday I hope to get all the other poor brass rats organized and go on strike. NYAAAHHH!!!

We allowed WB along with the Cowboy stages at our last shoot.

It is what it is, lots of FUN!

For the last few years we've been doing "shoot what ya brung" during the off season and it was a lot of fun. Does it detract from CAS? I don't think so. I do think it's an opportunity for more folks to get involved in the shooting sports.

My $.02.

I do not like the 2 mixed together. In this area, most shooting WB don't know the rules and most of the folks that end up having to RO them during mixed matches damn sure don't know the rules.

I am President and TG for the Lakewood Marshals. We do not allow WB during our cowboy matches, we are starting a separate WB match on another day and Cowboy will not be mixed with it.

Archived