SASS Wire Forum

Visited the Springfield Armory Yesterday

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Was on my way home from a business trip to upstate NY, and on the way home, since I was passing through Springfield, I decided to take a stop at the Springfield Armory. Now, granted, only a small part of the stuff on display there is relavent to us and our game, and even then in the side match area, but there was some really cool stuff to see. In addition to the very prominate displays of M1's, the prototype of the M14 given to President Eisenhauer, and various oddities, there was a plethora of Krags, Trapdoors, including a .50-70 pistol, a .45 caliber Rolling Block pistol, and a whole bunch of amazing things that were just incredible to see.

If ever you get a chance to visit the place where most of our service rifles were made until the mid 1960's, you gotta take it.

I lived there from 60 - 62. My dad was an ordinance Col. I was in Jr High. Spent hours in the museum. Watched fireworks from surrounding towns from the top of the clock tower. George Washington ordered the place build - sad to see the deterioration of the living quarters.

Was there a year ago - nice to see they have kept the museum up.

CR

Howdy HK

Thanks for the report. I would like to tour the armory this fall myself.

Question: About how long did you spend there? I assume that you are interested in much of the same sort of stuff that I am. I am going to be going out with a couple of other guys and want to give them an estimate on how long we will be there. Was two hours enough to get a good look?

Howdy HK

Thanks for the report. I would like to tour the armory this fall myself.

Question: About how long did you spend there? I assume that you are interested in much of the same sort of stuff that I am. I am going to be going out with a couple of other guys and want to give them an estimate on how long we will be there. Was two hours enough to get a good look?

Oh yeah, two hours would be more than enough time to look around. I understand that they have guided tours of areas not on the main floor, but I did not take one of those, I just looked around the stuff there on my own. Was there for about an hour. Admission is free, but there is a box for donations, and there is a small store with various keepsakes and stuff.

Well worth the trip. Especially if you have time to see some of the other stuff in Springfield, like Smith and Wesson, which I did not have time to do that day.

It is surely one of the most important arms exhibits in the country. I was there in 1981 and spent an afternoon browsing the various exhibits. The family favorite was a display of firearms made by my wife's family in their role as an arms supplier to the CSA 1861-1865.

I was in Springfield for the police armorers course that was part of the S&W factory operation. No S&W museum then but the first morning of class we did a full factory tour starting with incoming steel all the way to boxes out the shipping door. We stopped at every work station in the building and learned how each part was made and visited with various folks on the shop floor as they assembled firearms. During the classroom training I built five Model 65 revolvers from scratch. That complete experience remains one of my all-time favorite "highlight" memories.

Olen

I used to live 45 minutes north of there. Was not able to get to the armory and I was not shooting then either, but this time of year New England is like no other place...sigh....miss it a lot.

but this time of year New England is like no other place...sigh....miss it a lot.

Do you miss our winters? :)

Do you miss our winters? :)

I remember 4' of snow in the Quadrangle at SA. But the fall folliage is second to none!

CR

Archived