SASS Wire Forum

Italian 1860

Tom Foolery U.S.M. #2348

OK, I asked this question a few years ago. Didn't get an answer then and hope now that some new info has been dug up.

I have an Italian made 1860 with NO makers mark, only the basic proof marks. XX9=1973. On the left side of the frame is a 1/4" circle with HS inside. Top of S intersects right leg of H. Some say HIGH STANDARD, some say NO. I haven't found anything that HIGH STANDARD made 1860's or used this mark.

Any thoughts on this???

TF

OK, I asked this question a few years ago. Didn't get an answer then and hope now that some new info has been dug up.

I have an Italian made 1860 with NO makers mark, only the basic proof marks. XX9=1973. On the left side of the frame is a 1/4" circle with HS inside. Top of S intersects right leg of H. Some say HIGH STANDARD, some say NO. I haven't found anything that HIGH STANDARD made 1860's or used this mark.

Any thoughts on this???

TF

Could it be an old Italian kit gun?..... some years back you could buy a unfinished kit that one would have to blue, fit the grips and internal parts the ones I have seen had very few markings.

I did a kit revolver years ago. All the parts needed bluing. This gun has a lever, hammer and frame that are color case hardened. Blued barrel, cylinder (with the proper engraved scene) and back strap. Brass trigger guard.

TF

NEW NEWS

HS possibly stands for HERBERT SCHMINDT, a gun maker/dealer in Germany that closed about 1999. He was know to buy Italian repros, mark them and sell them. According to my sources, there are now only about 3 of these cap and ball guns (marked such) known. Most of his guns were single action cartridge.

TF

High Standard sold some Civil War commemoratives (the ones I have seen are Leech and Rigdons)but they were clearly marked as High Standards. Whatever you have, it is possible that someone filed the marks off your gun (a not uncommon practice among reenactors known as "de-farbing").

Archived