SASS Wire Forum

New Member Firearm Queston

Curley Fryes

Is a requirement to shoot revolver, rifle, and shotgun or can you shoot just revolver?. Reason I ask is I'm not too good with a rifle or a shotgun.

Is a requirement to shoot revolver, rifle, and shotgun or can you shoot just revolver?. Reason I ask is I'm not too good with a rifle or a shotgun.

You need to shoot the long guns. Lots of guys will be happy to show you how.

Before getting into this sport I knew next to nothing about pistols and the long gun shooting was way different than anything I'd experienced before. I've had a lot of fun learning. You can too. :)

Sure, you can just shoot the revolvers, just take the misses you didn't shoot! Usually 10 rifle and 4 shotgun =14 misses = 70 seconds!!

Ok....so you're saying until I CAN shoot just the revolver and take the penalties on the longguns until I am more comfortable with them?

Curley, I reckon you could, but the best way to get comfortable with them, is to shoot them.

As I said, when I started CAS, I really hadn't ever shot a shotgun. It took me a while to buy all of the guns, so I just showed up with what I had, ready to take misses for what I didn't yet have.

Each time several folks offered up guns for me to shoot. If you are not comfortable with the rifle or shotgun, by all means tell the timer operator and they will coach you through the stage. Pretty much like getting private lessons on each stage!

I have never run into someone who showed up and just shot pistols and no long guns.

Get out and give it a try!!

Grizz

Curley, a lot of the ranges around here rent long guns you can use at their location. Anyway, between meeting up with the local CAS folk, and the option to try some out at a local range, you'll find your long gun legs.

Just remember to take it at whatever pace is comfortable for you regardless of how much urging you get to do otherwise. Rushing things will only make you uneasy and less likely to eventually enjoy it.

Hey Curley, the targets are big enough and close enough

so's you shouldn't have a problem hittin' em.

If Ya' don't try ta' be fast, tell Ya' get the hang of it ..

Cowboy Action Shooting is pretty easy compaired ta' some shootin'.

If Ya' go to a match just ta' watch,

be aware that lots of Folks will ask Ya',

WHY ain't Ya' Shootin'..

Oh', Well Ya' don't have guns, well use mine, I got plenty of ammo..

and I'll help ya' out !!

That's how lots of Folks get hooked on this thing..

They just go check it out with a Friend

and next thing ya' know.. Well what is that, that Lyle say's

It climbed right up my sleeve ?? :lol:

Many clubs have new shooter classes and practice days where you could get one on one instruction as well.

edit to add more.

Most clubs will assign you a mentor if you identify yourself as a new shooter at a match. It's a great way to get your questions answered and get comfortable with what is going on.

Curley... I know.. it's kinda scary gettin' started.. :blink: was fer me..

When you go to the next Cowboy Action shooting match..

Find the guy in charge... introduce yourself.. He's normally the Match Director..

Explain to him that you only feel comfortable shooting pistols...

You mentioned PISTOL.. Do you only have one? Ya usually shoot 2 of em' in a match... could be 5 more misses.. but not to worry :blush:

But don't be surprised if the Match Director smiles at you and says "Pard.. We'll fix you right up" :)

That's a lot of the Cowboy Way you'll see us talkin' about here on the wire...

and when ya been in this sport for a year or 2.. you'll be volunteering to furnish guns fer some new pard...

But anyhow... That Match Director will watch over you.. probably put you on his posse..

And he will show you how to handle, operate, and shoot those long guns..

He will be nice and patient with ya so don't be afraid of gettin' yer feet wet right off...

Cause yer fellow pards will probably hound you til you do.. again...just the Cowboy Way..

He'll be with you at the loading table so you do things safely and properly,

the firing line so you do things safely and properly

and then to the unloading table where all guns are checked to make sure they are empty..

When ya get there... you'll probably have a big ol' smile on yer face...

yer knees might be shaken (mine were.. adrenelin)... but you'll be smilen'.. :) I bet..

Most folks will furnish the ammo for all the guns they furnish for ya.. Best use their ammo in their guns..

Ya might go to Wally World and buy you a box of shotgun shells.. the cheapest lightest charged you can find.. Most pards use 12 gage...

Go to your next match...

and enjoy

Rance <_<

Oh yeah.. there are no dumb questions on the wire... :blink:

If ya need to know something ask :) you will recieve help...

It would be a good idea if you have a pard already shootin' to have

him show you the basics of how long guns work..

when we say long guns.. we're talkin' rifle and shotgun.. again.. have fun..

How did I not think of that alias?

Seriously, if we have a new shooter, or even an interested spectator, normally one of the club members will take them to an unused bay and get them acclimated, and do a bit of practicing.

Go to a match, introduce yourself, and ask.

FWJ

You should go to a few matches. Take what you got with you. Identify yourself as interested and was looking in to this thing called cowboy action shooting.

Now when asked what you have, tell them.

And I don't see where it was said... You don't need guns. In fact it's best you don't buy any more until you get to a few matches. Some guns look like they will work. Some guns will work but some of these guns will not work well over time.

Going to a few matches and asking questions will give you the information on what guns will work and hold up in this game.

We work our guns very hard. We don't necessarily abuse our guns. Like a work truck. It's got to get through the whole day/year or years. We don't want it in the shop after every outing.

Cowboy Action Shooters will help you get involved. They will load you guns, leather, carts and some times ammunition. Always offer to replace it. Some will take you up on your offer and some won't.

Most load their own and choose not to use others ammunition in their guns unless it means not finishing a match.

What you need to start. Glasses, ear plugs of some sort and an "I want to learn attitude."

Curly,

even before going to the match call the club contact in advance. let them know what you have, they may have or know who has what you need to play. either way give them the heads up youre coming and interested.

trying to play without the long guns is more than just the misses, its running the course of fire as well.

best of luck, looking forward to hearing how much fun youre having :D

CC

Curly, SASS competition includes shooting lever-action guns with much lower powered rounds than modern hunting and military cartridges. Some local clubs might be okay with just shooting the shortguns, some may not.

Most new shooters do much better with the levergun than they do the pistols because we do shoot mild loads at very close (for rifle) targets. Reloading can make this even more enjoyable. The shotgun simply completes the game (even though it is my favorite gun).

Get to some matches and talk to other cowboys and cowgirls. My bet is that you will caught up in this entire sport and your posts a year from now will prove to next year's new shooters that 'the water's fine' and all of the guns are enjoyable.

Curley,

I think you are in a great position to learn and here is why:

When I started a few years ago I purchased my guns and proceeded to "teach" myself before I actually went to a match. While I was safe and proficient with handling the guns I was not that fast or efficient. Now I am having "unlearn" things I taught myself to learn how to be competitive (yeah I wasn't going to get caught-up in the competition either ;)). After deciding what category and firearms you'll be shooting watch videos of that categories top shooters and introduce yourself to the top guys/gals in your local club and get schooled the right(fast)way!

Muscle memory is a pain to change

Good Luck and welcome

MTC

Curley,

What is it about the long guns you are uncomfortable about? Is it a disability? We might be able to give you better advice if we knew more.

Fillmore

Curley,

I'm shooting a match with the Good Guys Posse near Rockford, IL this Sunday. Come on out. I have plenty of extra guns and would be glad to help you get started. The folks there are very friendly and relaxed and you will be able to shoot as much as you are comfortable shooting. no one will care if you are skilled with long guns just as long as you make efforts to be safe with them. Send me an email and I will pack up extra guns and ammo for you.

doug-strong(at)comcast(dot)net

I agree that as long as you handle the guns safely no one will care how well you shoot. I'm sure that people will line up to help you learn the "manual of arms" on the different long guns if you need an intro.

Everyone starts at the beginning. Even experienced shooters may have no experience with old west guns when they start shooting cowboy.

I can tell you for sure that the first time I fired a single action revolver was at my first cowboy match. It was also my first time shooting a lever action rifle (not counting BB guns), a side-by-side double or a Winchester '97 pump.

Everyone encouraged me and I had a blast.

I just want to thank everybody for their advise. You all are great people!! One more thing, someone said I needed 2 revolvers, is that correct? I have a Ruger New Vaquero .45LC coming, but I need advise on what long guns to buy. I'm on a limited budget, so don't go crazy. Again, thanks to all of you for your support!!!

Curley

You will need two pistols, a rifle and a shotgun. Like many others have suggested, try before you buy. Do this by going to different matches nearby. Introduce yourself, tell 'em that you are a new SASS member and are out to see "what it's all about". The amount of offers to try out different gun will astound you.

I know you are on a budget, but I have to tell you that money spent now on good equipment will be money well spent with no regrets later on down the road. I'll recieve some grief for this statement, but.........stay away from the '94 and '92 Winchester type rifles (expecially the '94). A good Marlin will cost more, but not as much as a '73 rifle. As far as pistols and shotguns go, there are just too many good ones to recommend.......that's where the try before you buy comes in.

Welcome to CAS and SASS. Take your time and don't "rush buy" anything before you try. Below is a list of Il. clubs.

Illinois SASS Clubs

Sun

I just want to thank everybody for their advise. You all are great people!! One more thing, someone said I needed 2 revolvers, is that correct? I have a Ruger New Vaquero .45LC coming, but I need advise on what long guns to buy. I'm on a limited budget, so don't go crazy. Again, thanks to all of you for your support!!!

Yep.. ya need 2 of em... You say you have a 45 LC on the way... This is where it's a good idea to go to a match and shoot everybodys guns that they will provide for you..

That way ya get ta figure out what you like and don't like...

Since you have a 45 coming already.. it would be a good idea to get a rifle.. when ready to ... also in 45LC.. makes ammo easier...

38's are cheaper to reload and purchase... but ya might have yourself already committed.. :) just somethin' else to think about...

Again.. go out and buy ya a box of cheap low powered 12 gage shotgun shells.. go to a match.. and start the fun... cuz' it's gonna be

Rance <_<

although the season is rapidly winding down here we can work over the winter hiatus to get you outfitted. We can also meet at a range and get you up to speed on shooting the long guns. I have an extra ruger New Vaquero in 45lc you can borrow for matches so you have a spare. I also have spare pairs of pistols in other calibers you can try out.

Say what? Ya lost me there No E. All 97s whether original or Chinese in 16 or 12 gauge are legal for SASS CAS. All 12 gauge originals or Chinese are legal for SASS WBAS (no 16s for WB).

Were you perhaps referring to the original Win 93 and the IAC 93/97? These models are not legal for any SASS game.

Curley,

Can you make it out to sycamore, illinois on November 6, 2011??

We have our last match of the year for this club.

You would need some money fer ammo and match fee....

Remember thats the day they changes the time, fall back.

time would be around 8 or 830/saftey meetin.

Best

CR

Say what? Ya lost me there No E. All 97s whether original or Chinese in 16 or 12 gauge are legal for SASS CAS. All 12 gauge originals or Chinese are legal for SASS WBAS (no 16s for WB).

Were you perhaps referring to the original Win 93 and the IAC 93/97? These models are not legal for any SASS game.

Lone Dog,

Maybe you didn't comprehend my post or are unaware of the following, from the shooter's handbook, page 10, "The only slide action shotgun allowed is the model 1897 Winchester shotgun, whether original or replica." For example, Marlin pump SGs are not legal.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Archived