SASS Wire Forum

Vet Respect

I took my 87 yr. old dad to the Patriots/Cowboys game last weekend - his first professional sporting event, and a real eye-opener in terms of wild crowd dress and behavior. He was especially taken by the cheerleaders (he's 87, not dead), and by some of the wild fan outfits.

Dad is a WWII Navy vet, having served on a minesweeper at Normandy on D-Day. He is somewhat reticent concerning the War, and has never made it a topic of casual conversation. But he proudly wears a navy blue ball cap, with scrambled eggs on the brim and "US Navy Veteran" imprinted in gold across the front.

Well, Dad turned into a center of attention in the parking lot during tailgating, and while making our way into the stadium (Dad uses a cane, and walks a bit slower than most). He was approached by numerous men, ranging between 40 and 70, all of whom wanted to shake his hand and thank him for his service. He was approached by two middle age woman who also wanted to thank him, and asked for permission to be photographed with him. And most surprisingly, he was chatted up by two young women in their 20's, who wanted to know his life story.

But for Dad, the most significant recognition was at the stadium. He was struggling a bit with the long walk, and when we reached Gillette Stadium, he was now faced with a long series of ramps to walk up to our seats - hundreds of yards on an uphill grade. To his overwhelming relief, stadium personel graciously guided him into the exclusive club area, referring to him as "Admiral", and let him take the elevator with all the swells, saving him a ton of discomfort.

I was close to tears several times that day. And I am right now. Respecting my Dad is normal for me, but for complete strangers to show such respect and understanding is a relatively rare thing these days. And I'll never forget their graciousness.

LL

Give my best wishes and thanks for a job well done to your father. :FlagAm:

I certainly will, UB.

Two different wars, but I think you two would get along nicely. He likes poems.

LL

We have 4 WWII vets in our VFW post here. They are treated very well by us all. As they should be. :FlagAm:

:FlagAm: All vets should be treated thus.

Tell your Dad thanks for his service. :FlagAm:

You know, when you think the World is go'n all to hell, you read a story like this and realize there are still somethings that are right in the World!

Thank your Father, from me, for his service to this Country!

J.D.

For a period of time, I needed to use a wheelchair. At the PX at camp Lejeune, I could watch those little "Leathernecks" change course towards my truck, when they saw my wife unloading the wheelchair. They all wanted to help her.

Guest Josey Dillon

Thank you for telling all of us about this experience! I'm grateful to God for your Daddy and all of the men and women who worked in our armed services at a time when our native language might have wound up being Japanese or German! I salute your Daddy (mine's 83 and graduated from high school just after V-E Day) and all of our military personnel from the beginning of this country to the wars being fought currently! May God bless our current military people, each and every one! :-)

You know, when you think the World is go'n all to hell, you read a story like this and realize there are still somethings that are right in the World!

J.D., I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of good folks out there -- it is just that good doesn't sell newspapers. They dwell on the minority of dirtbags.

Tell your father to wear that hat with pride... It does my heart good to hear of the public military support. Our veterans are the reason why we are able to do what we do freely.... Tell your father "Thanks for your service".

KK

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Outstanding! enjoy him as long as you can, have your children talk to him and ask him question. Write down what he tells you and love him for all you can.

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Add my thanks to your Dad. I have found myself on the receiving end of such kindness and I am always humbled and amazed. I don't often see it from the younger crowd, those under thirty, although I do see it more from teens. It does give me hope for the future.

Now, to go see why the monitor is a bit blurry.

I think it's just terrific that the American public has shaken off the torpor of the 60s and 70s and has finally realized the debt owed to this country's veterans. The trend started with the Gulf War and it has been very heartening to see the continued support especially the appreciation of our great WWII veterans. I hope that dark period where the honorable soldiers were blamed instead of the politicians never returns. :FlagAm:

And don't forget 11/11/11 folks.

Archived