SASS Wire Forum

Scoring Results

Marauder SASS #13056

When I post scores (and see match results) I like to see the full results including misses, P's and the individual stage ranking. That way I can see how my pards and I did on each stage. Even on a total time, I want to see where I "ranked" on each stage even though I don't care about the total rank. I even add a column with the total misses for the match and a row at the bottom with the averages.

At a regional a couple years ago, they only provided the "standard" results of total time on each stage. I received a lot of requests for the details.

So what do you like:

As an example, this:

http://www.gacowboy.com/data/2011/oct11_overall.htm

or this:

http://www.northalabamaregulators.com/Scores/11_scores/11_Ambush.htm

And I am not trying to criticize any clubs scoring results. (What I provide does take some extra knowledge and time.) But I plan to talk with CD Tom about some details of the SASS program and wanted to discuss outputs with him.

Currently, the SASS program generates the very simple format as shown above or a multi-page detailed report that is difficult to really compare shooters results.

So, is it worth the extra effort to provide the additional details?

When I post scores (and see match results) I like to see the full results including misses, P's and the individual stage ranking. That way I can see how my pards and I did on each stage. Even on a total time, I want to see where I "ranked" on each stage even though I don't care about the total rank. I even add a column with the total misses for the match and a row at the bottom with the averages.

At a regional a couple years ago, they only provided the "standard" results of total time on each stage. I received a lot of requests for the details.

So what do you like:

As an example, this:

http://www.gacowboy....t11_overall.htm

or this:

http://www.northalab...s/11_Ambush.htm

And I am not trying to criticize any clubs scoring results. (What I provide does take some extra knowledge and time.) But I plan to talk with CD Tom about some details of the SASS program and wanted to discuss outputs with him.

Currently, the SASS program generates the very simple format as shown above or a multi-page detailed report that is difficult to really compare shooters results.

So, is it worth the extra effort to provide the additional details?

Yep, we have many shooters who like to see more detail, including Misses, Ps, Bonuses on each stage, and both time and rank for each stage and overall. We have already been in touch with CD Tom, as a matter of fact, and he has provided us (Buffalo Range Riders) with a new test version of his scoring program that has .....

The ability to export an Excel spreadsheet with all those details, and it places one shooter on a line, so it's easy to compare all the stages between a couple of shooters. And, since it is already in Excel, the "number crunchers" in your match can easily run their mojo on the numbers.

You might ask for the BRR test version!

Good luck, GJ

I too like to see misses and Ps for each stage. Without them I often wonder if I was just slow for a stage, or did I have a miss or two?

But as you said, stuffing everything in there can make it hard to read.

I guess in my mind, it would be great to have a 'summary' type report on the club website, and a link to download a more detailed report.

That said, I am very thankful to those who spend the time to put up scores in any format.

Grizz

Actually, I believe that have that version. I used the excel export for what I post and it worked pretty well, but the new excel report much more work due to some of the changes.

I post misses, P's, adjusted times and rank for each stage. After a vote by the membership, I use Total time scoring ~ but still post Total Rank Points, too. Here is what it looks like: SCORES I also post by category, so folks don't have to search for their competition: CATEGORIES

It doesn't take much longer. Maybe no longer, since the data has to be entered anyhow to determine who shot a clean match. Then, when posting a person would have to DELETE (or hide) those columns. So I just leave them in.

Why do I show all that stuff? Because I want to see it. I am sure that some other shooters would like to see this stuff, and the ones who don't care are not offended by it.

Salud, amigos!

eGG

Our monthlies are usually too small to worry about listing the results in multiple different fashions.

I list the results in simple overall finishing order. (Excel spreadsheet)

#1 thru #whatever.

Shooters name, category, each stage raw time, misses, P's and then the stage totals.

It is simple enough to scroll down 20, 30 or 40 shooters to figure out your placement on the list and compare yourself to any other shooter.

If you're the first shooter listed in your category, you must have won.

If you're the second shooter listed in your category, you came in 2nd.

And since my DISTASTE for rank burns with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. I refuse to figure it, compile it or list it.

All the match details mentioned in this post are displayed on my website cowboyactionscoring.com.

All the club has to do is enter the raw data into a form on the website and submit it to the site.

And it's free to any club who wants to use it.

Check out the site and notice the result are displayed in eight different ways.

Sage Creek Gus

The Western Regionals will be the first match I shoot that goes by Rank Points. That being the case, I don't really care about them on a month to month basis. I look at time (per stage and total), misses, Ps, how I fared against other duelists and how I fared overall.

Actually, I believe that have that version. I used the excel export for what I post and it worked pretty well, but the new excel report much more work due to some of the changes.

I looked at your links and like the clean shooters names shown in bold print. Do you have to review it manually and bold them or do you do that "automagically?" I use Excel a good bit at work and I have used conditional formatting to make cells different colors based upon calculated results. I would think you could use conditional formatting to do the bolding of the clean shooters if you are not already doing that.

Also I wanted to thank you for maintaining you informational website with all of the links for gun mods....I've found that a valuable resource.

Hey Marauder,

I prefer to see both raw time and total time up in front, following the shooters name. An example of this is from the Lake County Pistoleros Score Layout I know you have to enlarge it somewhat, expecially if your eyes are like mine.

This layout also has the category finish and overall finish in front of the stage times, which is another thing that I like. I've looked at the links you provided.....I don't have any problem with the layout of those either! Thank you for asking, I know you are on the endless quest (sometimes thankless also) of trying to make every match better than the last........including scores.

Hope this helps

C.S.

Marauder; Good post. I like seeing the misses, etc. as I like to see where I would have stacked up if I had shot clean and I usually don't remember where and how many misses I had. My recall apparently sucks....lol.

KK

I like to see an overall listing that contains the category and also the category placement of each shooter. I prefer that that listing also provide the rank on each stage shot by each shooter in the overall. I like to see a separate listing for each category showing how I rank with in my category. One of these lists should show total time for each shooter, total rank points for each shooter, no matter how the match is scored.

We use CD Tom's program, and always use rank scoring. I use a match final report that does not contain the misses and P's, and also a catagory final with all the goodies including raw time. All this data is posted on our website, thanks to Deadwood Slim we have a fantastic looking site with many months of results.

I always send a different report to the top overall shooters( direct e-mail), listing the overall with raw, misses, P's, rank points and the works. Like me, they all seem to like crunching the numbers to figure out "what if". It is easier to see the rank points and why in the overall that way.

Archived