SASS Wire Forum

What other Aliases did you consider before you picked yours?

Another thread about Aliases from Cartoon Characters got me thinking about this.

What other alises did you consider (or would have considered) other than the one you have?

Rolan Kraps wasn't my first alias. I changed it because my first alias sucked so bad.

when I changed it to Rolan Kraps it was between that and "Bat Guanno" (loosely based on Dr. Strangelove).

I have seen two others over the years that I would have picked had I thought of them first.

#1 - Yukon Cornelius

#2 - Black Jacque Shellack (from Bugs Bunny short Bonanza Bunny)

I wanted to be "Handsome Stranger" But it was taken.

I wanted my alias to be a frontier lawyer. At my first local match I chose the moniker "Red Law" because it was the custom in the 1800s for a would-be attorney to work for a practicing attorney or a judge, and spend his spare time reading case reports. In those days many states did not require a law degree to sit for the bar exam. As a result, an old west lawyer's bio would say that he "read law" in Judge Roy Bean's office before being admitted to the bar. Hence "Red Law". Not to be confused with "Red October" or some other communist bloc references.

After "True Grit" was remade, some of they guys in my club suggested I should change to "Lawyer Daggett" or "J. Noble Daggett", but those are taken anyway. Shame. I always liked what Glen Campbell's character said of Lawyer Daggett: "She draws him like a gun!"

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I wanted Mad Jack Duncan but it was taken. My second choice was Cactus Jack and IT was taken. Lately I have been considering changing to Rotten Luck Willy or Handsome Jack (not that I am)

I used to be 'Jackson' when I started...after a couple years of not being a SASS pard my alias was given away....so in looking for a new one I almost went with 'Mitch E. Gunn' (ya know...like Michigan).

Anyway I was rattlin' off names and my wife said "Stop...I like the last one" - "Which one?" - "The gunner one!" - "Gunner Gatlin??" - "yup".....so that's what I ended up with :)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Before SASS started late 1987, I was Heavy Duty for 3 1/2 years as an alias. When Joining SASS, I changed to Big Jake. Never thought of changing again. Just sayin'

Big Jake SASS #1001 life

:FlagAm: Been crafting custom woodworking for clients for over thirty years. My first choice was Hickory Dick. However, I was given Chas B. Wolfson's dress cane which dates from the 1870's.

My wife's granny gave me the cane before the redhead and I were married. Turns out he was a relative on her side of the family, a gambler who resided in New Orleans and unfortunately for him, first looser in a duel. After some thought, i felt this would be a way cool alias.

Monsieur Charles Beauregard Wolfson

619 Canal Street

New Orleans

Louisiana

His actual address which is on the silver band of the cane.

My own words on the back of the calling card I had made;

LIFE IS NOT UNLIKE A GAME OF CHANCE

Be true to your heart

Accept with grace what has been dealt

Play with both honesty and integrity

Do not discard what will be needed later

When the time comes to fold, have the wisdom to do so with dignity

Regards,

Chas B. Wolfson

I was initially Jack Watson, a real character from the 1800s. But nobody had heard of him and it was obvious that others did not know whether that was my real name or my alias. Hopalong Cassidy was gone (no surprise) and my real name is Cass, so I was just reversed the Cass and the Hop--thus Cassalong Hopidy. People seem to enjoy it. Thinking if my sons start in CAS, they could find similar names that would bespeak the family connection: like Badassalong Hopidy, Dragassalong Hopidy, etc.

CH

Up until I joined SASS I was "Gingerbread" which had been my CB handle back when that was cool (This is the Gingerbread Man sayin' catch me if you can, I'm out an on the side...) When I joined SASS, Gingerbread was taken, so I went to the current alias.

I considered the name "Windy" Bowels but my wife and daughter while agreeing that it might fit did not think I should share that.

I started out with "Bottom Dealin Beauregard", but I was a member of the CAS-L mail list in the mid-1990s and another fellow on there had Beauregard Hooligan as his alias. He thought one Beauregard was plenty. So I changed to Botton Dealin Mike, and I haven't regretted it.

1) Eugene Blair - Real-life shotgun guard on stagecoaches around boomtowns. He was known to shot first and (not) ask questions later when would-be robbers showed up. He killed or injured many (the counts run from 20 to 50 and more) ne'er-do-wells. I don't know much about him personally, but I come to respect the actions of this fellow too much to take on his name.

2) Mustered Out - Confederate soldier mustered out of service in 1865. I wanted to start in Frontier category but could not accept being Mustard by my pards.

As a history buff of Carson City I once wanted the alias Kid Karson but the lady on the other end of the phone said it sounded too much like Kit Carson which was taken. hmmm -_-

Fillmore Coffins

My first match or two before I joined up I was Grumpy Grizzly, but as many folks pointed out at the range, I didn't look too grumpy with a big ol grin on my face playing cowboy.

I've worn a beard pretty much since I could grow one, and have been called Grizzly Dave over the years by lots of folks, so I just went with that. There is part of me that kind of wishes that my real name wasn't part of my alias, I guess that's why I prefer folks just call me Grizz.

Grizz

I wanted "Sourdough T". As I do sourdough cookin and my first name is Tony, but couldn't have it. So went with my family moniker "Curley Cole", my family nick name has always been Curley.

Actually it worked out better

curley

Guest talon macleod 29883

I wanted Doc Holliday being a member of the real family but that was not going to happen.Then I wanted Bad Company so I could play the song. I could not think of anything funny that was clean so....... Talon Macleod :lol:

I really wanted my alias to be one of John Wayne's characters. I was even picking the characters from some of his lesser known movies. All of them were taken. My wife came up with what I have now. Have been Mean Matt from the outset, no reason to change now.

My first choice was Bret Maverick, because Bret is spelled right using just one t which is my name and they called me maverick in high school. Plus it was a western tv show. It was taken so I choose Gray Hare becaused my hair started turning gray when I was 16 (thanks mom, she was gray around then to) and I was pretty gray when I started shooting CAS. I used hare instead of hair for a play on words. I just tell everyone that I dye my hair to make me look distinguished, which everyone agree I am very distinguished! :lol:

Gray Hare

One of my favorite places is Siesta Key at Sarasota, Florida. I thought that Siesta had a southwestern ring to it so I started shooting CAS events as Johnny Siesta (first name is John). When I joined SASS, I dropped the Johnny and went with Siesta.

Siesta

I have been known as Doc or Doc Ward for so long it is natural for me. I did look at a couple of other possibilities, though, Malcolm Reynolds, from the show Firefly, was taken. My second choice had Doc Ward not worked would have been Bent Nose Jim Ward, for one of my more colorfully named ancestors. I suggested it for my brother if he starts shooting SASS (I'm trying hard to get him). His response was he would be more accurately called "Flat Nose."

I love reptiles. I always have. I got my first Boa Constrictor when I was 10 and haven't looked back. So my first consideration was "El Lagarto" - Spanish for The Lizard. However, I'd been draggin' my heels on submitting my SASS registration (I'd had it since early September)

My first choice changed a couple of weeks ago when I got bit on the left hand by a 4ft Nile Crocodile. As a result I received 37 stitches between my ring finger and pinkie (30 on my ring finger and 7 on my pinkie). About a week after it happened a friend sent me a message on Facebook asking how I'd "been doing since the bite"... "Ben Bitten" was born. I called SASS to see if the name was available, and it became official at that point. :D

- Ben Bitten

I considered Doc Strong and Doctor Strong but I thought Hopalong was more fun. Hopalong Strong was my nickname in Middle School.

My son Moose Wrangler seriously considered Tagalong Strong to go with my Hopalong Strong.

The Utica Kid, played by Audie Murphy, Jimmy Stewart's train-robbin' brother in Night Passage. Went to college in Utica, NY, in the '80s. When I first saw the movie, I said "Hey, I know that place!" Came back to me when I discovered SASS, but it was already taken. Thought of Red Hook Kid, after my hometown, but, as I was (ahem!) no longer a kid, I shortened it, thinking of General Hooker.

Hmm, the guys I've met are all, uh, "mature", they won't make the obvious jokes.

Right! :rolleyes:

I first shot under Nebraska Dry Gulch, then Kid Collins (in honor of the town that was once where I lived - Collins Nebraska.)

When I finally joined I figured I was no kid so I chose Morrill Marauder as sort of a pun since I did a lot of work in church and teaching, my home town was Morrill and I did a lot of moving around with my work. So the Marauder part sort of alluded to that moving around. And I lived in Texas at that time so it sorta fit.

After about a year, I thought of using just Marauder, if it was still available and it was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bride wanted Dallas Alice and it was available, but she didn't join up then. When she finally wanted to join every alias she could think of was taken. So she said "It's taken" and lady from SASS said there were a lot of "It's" so she and Alice figured out - Mines Taken.

I started out as the Scotsman when I joined, then changed to Conagher but decided I'd rather be what ever I wanted to at the time so made up John William McCandles. Using my great grandfathers first name and my grandfathers middle name. And McCandles so I could use my gear with Mc embossed on it since my real last name is McIntosh.

Regards

JW

A Couple years ago when Deb and I joined we tried to find alias' that were a couple also. We tried several but all were taken, then we saw the movie with George Segal and Goldie Hawn. The Duchess and the Dirkwater Fox, we checked and found that they were available. Sent in the application and Deb's came back just fine. Mine was blank, called and was told that one was already being used that was sounded like Dirkwater Fox, never learned what it was.

Got mine later from Harry Carrey, Jr in Big Jake.

Archived