SASS Wire Forum

Browning .308 BAR

Chief Rick

I have an opportunity to pick up a Browning BAR in .308 with a Schmidt & Bender scope (4-12x, I think), it does not have the BOSS.

With the scope, I think I am pretty much stealing this package (less than $1000).

But I know nothing about these rifles.

Any thing I should be concerned about with any of the BAR's? Things to look for?

I won't be able to look at the rifle for another two weeks - when I make it back to the MS Gulf Coast.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Browning BAR in .308 with a Schmidt & Bender scope (4-12x, I think), it does not have the BOSS.

With the scope, I think I am pretty much stealing this package (less than $1000).

But I know nothing about these rifles.

Any thing I should be concerned about with any of the BAR's? Things to look for?

I won't be able to look at the rifle for another two weeks - when I make it back to the MS Gulf Coast.

Since a quick look puts a variable Schmidt & Bender in the neighborhood of $1800 and up (http://www.opticsplanet.net/schmidt-bender-riflescopes.html) , even if the gun is junk, which it probably isn't, the scope alone is worth what you are going to pay

I own a BAR in .308 and will use it for deer hunting in a few weeks. Mine is quite accurate for a semi-auto hunting rifle. Also, it does not like reloaded ammo, even sized with a small base sizer.

I've had my BAR in .243 since '73. Mine will take once fired brass reloads fine, but after that the base swells too much. If (some people can't) you can be happy with a gun that will most likely only shoot 1.5 MOA then you'll like it. Also, mine absolutely hates boattail bullets. Shoots much better with flat base. The only drawback is weight. Scope and all it will most likely top 8 pounds. It's not a mountain rifle.

Appreciate the info - this rifle will be an anniversary present to my wife (15 years) and will only be used for hunting, and still/stand hunting at that.

Good to know about the reloads - I am hoping the scope is already sighted in, minimizing the number of rounds I need to send down-range.

Archived