SASS Wire Forum

Was I right?

As a senior NCO, it was easy to torpedo a Second John's career.

But ya don't get no style points because it is so damned easy...

And as the old saying goes..... The Army (and Corps) is run by it's Sergeants. Officers were in command technically, but when the SHTF, the Troops look to their senior NCO's for guidance. If that weren't true, there would be no position as Sergeant Major of The Army, Sergeant Major of The Marine Corps, Master Chief of The Navy, Master Chief of The Coast Guard, or Chief Master Sergeant of The Air Force.

My Basic Training First Sergeant got sent to the stockade for forging the Lt's signature on a stockade order. Platoon Sergeant got busted for stealing things from recruits' foot lockers. I ended up hoping the rest of the NCOs I would encounter would be better. They were. After I made SGT my best friend was a SFC who was a retired Lt Col.

As a senior NCO, it was easy to torpedo a Second John's career.

But ya don't get no style points because it is so damned easy...

And as the old saying goes..... The Army (and Corps) is run by it's Sergeants. Officers were in command technically, but when the SHTF, the Troops look to their senior NCO's for guidance. If that weren't true, there would be no position as Sergeant Major of The Army, Sergeant Major of The Marine Corps, Master Chief of The Navy, Master Chief of The Coast Guard, or Chief Master Sergeant of The Air Force.

Serg you are absolutely correct NCOs are the back bone and in charge but you know some of them need to be put in there place once in a while and this comes from an E4

Here's a question that has bugged me for 40+ years...

What the Hell was the army thinking when they gave me a commission? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been 42 years and I still haven't figured out how I got 2 battlefield promotions when all I did was get 2 PBR's shot out from under me :wacko::unsure:

Nov. 1968 Commissioned Ensign

June 1969 Lt. JG

Feb. 1970 Lt.

Yep!

(Former Scrounger) There's no official MOS for this but they make for good Cops after transitioning to Civilian life. Things are never stolen. They are found and reused....

Yup.......

E-1 through E-4 steal.

E-5 though E-9 reapropreate.

All 0's re-designate !!

I learned that the hard way !! :ph34r:

My favorite scrounger story.

Our company scrounger was our supply Sgt. (E-6). He had been drafted for Korea and received a battlefield commission. After he Korea he went to the reserves and rose to the rank of Lt. Col. He was activated for V.N. and brought back in at a NCO rank of E-6. He knew everybody, could get you anything you needed, it may cost some significant trades, usually mess hall goods, but he would pull it off. His attitude was priceless, he only had a couple of years to his 20 and he was retiring at the highest rank achieved (Lt. Col., and possibly Bird), he gave some lower rank officers fits with his deals (he got along great with Command Officers), and I guess his attitude, but he was a great scrounger.

Anybody ever have a former Enlisted scrounger as a CO (Mustang)?

I had one as Company CO. He languished there until retirement. He took his retirement rather than get RIFfed. He never played by the rules and they hated him for it. He always cared more for his men than getting his ticket punched and they hated him for it.

He was loved by every Swingin' D--- that served under him. Died 2 years after his retirement. Civilian life just wasn't right for him.

Archived