SASS Wire Forum

Agenda Item #5

PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

5) Should the attached, proposed Category System be adopted?

NOTE: Some of the Ladies categories that have historically been under populated at most annual matches are no longer on the officially recognized list.

Those have been replaced with FCGF, SGF, Cattle Baron, and 80+ (name as yet undetermined)

A Match Director will always have the OPTION to offer ANY additional categories; as well as the OPTION to change the minimum requirement for honoring a category.

NAME---------------------------AGE / STYLE-----M/F----LADIES

Buckaroo/ette--------------------13 & under--------X--------X

Junior-------------------------------14-16--------------X--------X

Cowboy/Cowgirl------------------17-35--------------X--------X

Wrangler---------------------------36-48--------------X--------X

Forty Niner------------------------49-59--------------X--------X

Senior------------------------------60-64--------------X--------X

Silver Senior----------------------65-69--------------X--------X

Elder Statesman-----------------70-74--------------X

Cattle Baron-----------------------75-79-------------X

(name TBD)-----------------------80+----------------X

Duelist-------------------------------Duelist-----------X--------X

Senior Duelist---------------------60+Duelist------X

GunFighter-------------------------GF----------------X--------X

Senior Gunfighter----------------60+GF------------X

Frontier Cartridge-----------------BP----------------X--------X

Frontier Cartridge Duelist-------BPD--------------X

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter--BPGF------------X

Frontiersman-------------------Frontiersman------X

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl----Classic Cowboy---X--------X

B Western----------------------B Western----------X--------X

------------------------------------COUNT====>-20--------12

Category Rules:

1. Categories listed are the "Official" SASS categories.

2. All categories must be initially offered at State and above level matches.

3. MDs are NOT required to honor categories that fail to secure a minimum of 5 entries at the State and Regional level, or a minimum of 10 entries at WR and EOT.

A cutoff deadline shall be established and posted by the sponsoring club.

4. Match application forms should ask for a shooter's second (or third) choice.

5. If it becomes necessary to drop any category due to a failure to meet the minimum number of shooters required, those effected shooters will be placed into their second choice category. If no second choice has been given, "Age" based category shooters will Rollback" into the next lower category.

The only exception is the Cowboy category. Since it is at the bottom of the scale, it will roll forward into the Wrangler category if necessary.

The Junior categories are exempt.

6. Shooters will not be allowed to compete in an "Age" based category that is outside of their age group, except in the case of a category "Rollback"

7. At the MD discretion, ANY category may be added, and any minimum requirement may be reduced.

8. These rules apply to state and above matches, and are recommended at all lower level matches.

9. OPEN category is any age/shooting style/propellant w/SASS-legal CAS equipment.

LINK TO PDF VERSION

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, if I'm reading this right, a 72 year old lady would have to roll back to ladies silver senior?

HF

I reckon I'm ok with it.. not sure though...

If I was in the Grand Dame Catagory.. I'd sure be pissed..

I've take all this time to stay shootin' and grow older gracefully doin' it and they are makin' me

shoot against them young silver senior ladies.. don't think that's fair..

But the Match Director has the option of adding it if I understand correctly.. But would they?

I reckon I'm ok with it.. not sure though...

If I was in the Grand Dame Catagory.. I'd sure be pissed..

I've take all this time to stay shootin' and grow older gracefully doin' it and they are makin' me

shoot against them young silver senior ladies.. don't think that's fair..

But the Match Director has the option of adding it if I understand correctly.. But would they?

I don't recall ever meeting a Grand Dame. However, if one frequented our shoots, I'd sure have a category for her.

I don't recall ever meeting a Grand Dame. However, if one frequented our shoots, I'd sure have a category for her.

In our neck of the woods... the ladies are the same age based as Elder Statesman.. :)

I know of 2 of em' without lookin' at Posse Lists that come to our big shoots..

and 2 more that just graduated there..

Reckon they'd have to shoot against Ladies Silver Seniors :mellow:

Edit: Second thought.. I'd almost bet the silver senior ladies are gonna be the ones that's gonna be pissed.. Those 2 ladies finally got out of our catagory into Grand Dame.. and now SASS is gonna throw them back in.. dang it anyhow.. they always whomped us before :lol:

Any Grand Dame that shows up to shoot should get an award. I fear that unless Grand Dame is added back this item will fail. Too bad, there are some good changes in the rest of it. Adding it back at the Convention will miss all those clubs that submit a written proxie before the Convention or give an alternate TG direction to vote how the club voted no matter the changes (no good but happens a lot).

So, if I'm reading this right, a 72 year old lady would have to roll back to ladies silver senior?

HF

Only if the Match Director chose to NOT offer GRAND DAME as a category option on the match entry application.

(with no minimum number required for recognition)

I'm good with it. MOst MD's that I know are eager to please everyone....the GDs may have to organize ahead of time like we have done for FCGF at various shoots.

CC

We have several that shoot regularly at monthly matches where I shoot....

Seems unfair to have additional age categories for men and not women.

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

As we all are getting older, I suggest the following Category names:

Old 80 to 84

Very Old 85 to 89

Ancient 90 to 94

Very Ancient 95 to 99

Centenarian 100+

I am looking forward to shooting in the Centenarian Category with PaleWolf (his beard should be white by then)

Don't see Outlaw on the list. (insert sad face here)

Just got my butt kicked by Larry Earp (yet again) today but had one of my best fun days ever.

<Lobby mode on>

Ya can't explain it, you have to experience it.

I think Outlaw would be a good addition to the list.

It is unisex and non-age based that anybody can shoot.

And it's FUN! Not fast, but FUN.

<Lobby mode off>

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Y'know, this one just plain ticks me off. There's that stupid age-based thing but they combined THAT sour pill with some sugar....FCGF, SGF, etc. Ok sure, they leave a bit up to the MATCH DIRECTOR but this 'got to shoot with your age group' crap well.... :angry:

NO

Well I liked it until I saw all my catagories go away!

I shoot Ladies Frontier Cartridge Duelist and Ladies Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. This will put me into shooting with the men. that is not fair to us women.

You want more women to shoot this is not the way by getting rid of our catagories!!!!!!

I think if you added the ladies catagories back in and just added the FCGF and Cattle Baron and 80+. of cource with ladies equivalent this may have a chance to pass.

But as much as I want FCGF added it will do me no good with out a ladies version!

Painted Filly

Not just no but HELL NO!! Stop tweaking and changing categories already. And if you are going to offer a men's category, there needs to be a women's side available. To not have one is ridiculous.

Not just no but HELL NO!! Stop tweaking and changing categories already. And if you are going to offer a men's category, there needs to be a women's side available. To not have one is ridiculous.

Plus 1!!! I say no to everyone of the agenda items that have been proposed !! I'll be suggesting to our TG next Saturday to make the motion to leave off any changes for at least 5 years.

If we get this going all over we might, just might get it across we are tired of all the changing things around.

Hello,

As with all items, I vote my club's wishes. However, personally, I want Grand Dame to be official!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not just offered at the MD's discretion. I guess I really agree with some of the others, all categories should have a ladies version.

Regards,

Allie Mo

HF

No, she wouldn't be required to shoot Ladies' Silver Senior. She could shoot Elder Statesman, since there are no men's categories in SASS. There just would not be a gender-protected category, unless she rolled back to LSS. Take a look at p. 13 of the Shooters' Handbook, and also the top of the column marked "M/F."

Buena suerte,

eGG

^^THIS^^

If there's a men's category, there's should be an accompanying ladies category.

Hi Filly,

Not sure what you are saying. Currently there are open categories (ladies or men can shoot them) and ladies only categories. Are you saying the open should be men only?

Regards,

AM

Only if the Match Director chose to NOT offer GRAND DAME as a category option on the match entry application.

(with no minimum number required for recognition)

No, she wouldn't be required to shoot Ladies' Silver Senior. She could shoot Elder Statesman, since there are no men's categories in SASS.

There just would not be a gender-protected category, unless she rolled back to LSS. Take a look at p. 13 of the Shooters' Handbook, and also the top of the column marked "M/F."

Thanks for that correction eGG! ;)

That had completely slipped what's left of my mind. :blink:

CATEGORIES

SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment,

shooting style and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the

first day the match starts. All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender, e.g. Lady

Duelist, Lady Gunfighter, Lady 49’er, Lady Wrangler, etc. Competitors may compete within

any category for which they qualify. There are no men’s categories.

SHB p.13

Hi Filly,

Not sure what you are saying. Currently there are open categories (ladies or men can shoot them) and ladies only categories. Are you saying the open should be men only?

Regards,

AM

Nope, I'm saying the exact opposite. For ANY SASS sanctioned category there should be a men's a ladies division. Men's and ladies Senior Duelist, Senior Gunfighter, Frontier Cartridge, etc. There should never be an instance where ladies are forced to compete agains men. They can if they want to but, they shouldn't be FORCED to.

NO! It is gender discriminatory. There are always fewer women in the shooting sports and something like this will make for even fewer of them participating. There should be a Ladies category corresponding to every mens category. To make women shoot in the same category with men places the women at an extreme disadvantage. Some may think and say there are officially no "Men" categories but the reality is that there are in everyones eyes.

We got one. She frequents shoots, shoots Wild Bunch and is an avid gun collector. Shortly she is heading off to Bordertown. At least the Grand Dame category is waiting for her in Arizona.

Archived