SASS Wire Forum

Agenda Item #2

PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

2) Should the limiting criteria for shooters in Age Based categories be changed from the current “minimum qualifying age OR GREATER” to “between the ages of…”?

(e.g. Wranglers from 36-48; 49ers from 49-59; Seniors from 60-64; etc.)

A YES vote would no longer allow a shooter to compete in Age Based categories below his/her actual age range.

Cowboy/Cowgirl category age range would end at 35 years of age.

The Junior (Buckaroo/ette and Young Gun) categories would NOT be affected.

A NO vote would leave the Age Based category restrictions unchanged.

e.g. Two shooters with adjustable-sighted revolvers & a 66 or 73 rifle:

-- A 65 yr old competitor currently has the option to sign up in FIVE Age Based categories:

Silver Senior, Senior, 49er, Wrangler or Cowboy;

-- A 26 yr old using those firearms only has ONE option: Cowboy)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would recommend a no vote on this item for whatever it might be worth. In our neck of the woods, many shooters shift categories as some categories make up a very large percentage of the total shooters at matches like Senior and Silver Senior and move down into a lower age category. This can make the total number of shooters per category a lot more equal.

NO....I changed from 49'r to Senior when I hit 60.Then shortly after that I started shooting Senior Duelist.I'm now officially a Silver Senior by my age,but continue to shoot SD.Since I switched to SD,I have a hard time shooting 2 handed now.I find it awkward to shoot with 2 hands.Doesn't feel natural anymore.So if they change it so I'd have to shoot SS instead of SD I'll be shooting against 2 handed shooters or have to "learn" to shoot 2 handed again.We don't need a SSD catagory,just leave it alone and quit messing with changing catagories every time the wind changes direction.

There would need to be some clarification...

What is the problem being solved by this proposed solution? Is there a rampant problem where the old guys are dropping down in age bracket and whippin' up on the younger guys??

also

If there is a category that is "somewhat" age based, like Senior Duelist, its rules would have to be rewritten to allow Silver Seniors Duelists, Elder Statesmen Duelists, etc. Otherwise older Duelists would have no place to shoot. They would have to compete directly against two-handed shooting Silver Seniors, Elder Statesmen, etc.

NO....I changed from 49'r to Senior when I hit 60.Then shortly after that I started shooting Senior Duelist.I'm now officially a Silver Senior by my age,but continue to shoot SD.Since I switched to SD,I have a hard time shooting 2 handed now.I find it awkward to shoot with 2 hands.Doesn't feel natural anymore. So if they change it so I'd have to shoot SS instead of SD I'll be shooting against 2 handed shooters or have to "learn" to shoot 2 handed again. We don't need a SSD catagory,just leave it alone and quit messing with changing catagories every time the wind changes direction.

There would need to be some clarification...

If there is a category that is "somewhat" age based, like Senior Duelist, its rules would have to be rewritten to allow Silver Seniors Duelists, Elder Statesmen Duelists, etc. Otherwise older Duelists would have no place to shoot. They would have to compete directly against two-handed shooting Silver Seniors, Elder Statesmen, etc.

The proposed category revamp (Agenda Item #5) specifically lists SENIOR DUELIST (and SENIOR GUNFIGHTER) as 60+ (i.e. NO upper age limit).

Seniors (and above) would be allowed to shoot in either the qualifying AGE BASED category or in DUELIST (or GF), which has NO age restriction whatsoever.

(as the they are allowed to under the CURRENT rules)

NO!

If Traditional had not been dropped, I would still be shooting that(started shooting that in 1994)

I'm now 66, and have been shooting Senior since Traditional went away, I don’t want to shoot Silver Senior or whatever comes next.

Just LEAVE the Categories ALONE.

NO!!!!!!

Ahh the benifits of age. A Big No to this one. Ocationally it's nice to be able to drop down a catagory to fulfill a required number of shooters in a catagory.

Signing as a senior but might want to shoot 49'er again.........

Ah heck there ain't no Easy catagories in Texas

As a TG I'll vote for the consesus of my club is. But personally I would like to see it. Way to much "cherry picking" going on.

+1

KK

No IMO

While I qualify for 49ers by, well, a few years, I shoot Cowboy. Why? Most matches 49er is often the largest category numbers wise. I'd rather shoot Cowboy and come in 18th out of 20 than shoot 49er and come in 45th out of 50. Am I cherry picking? Nope, not much of a chance of getting an award for me, I don't dispute that it does happen though.

CHERRY PICKING. who us? Leave wrangler a OPEN to all and lock in the rest to your real age.

What this may do is stop a better shooter from stepping down a age cat. to take advantage of a weaker field or avoid haveing to play against a strong group in his own age group.

If we are to have age based in a true form the we need to Duelst, Double Dualist, and Gunfightermnoved into Senior, Siiver Senior, Elder Statesman and Land Baron. Nuff of dis age discrimination.

With this YES

:rolleyes:

^_^

:) :)

Crosscut Jack

Leave the categories as they are EXCEPT - we need to create at least one additional category for Elder Statesmen. I'm now 78 and there's no way I can compete with 70 year olds. Reflexes and the human aging process do not allow it. IMHO there should be a split at 75 and possibly even another at 80. Just my aging bonesworth ....

Cherry picking? I think not! There's a reason for age-based catagories. Older folks are usually, that's USUALLY but not a rule, against younger shooters. THat's why we have them. If an older shooter wants to shoot with the young pups, I say let'em. I see nothing wrong with the current rule on this subject.

NO

(And if yer a youngster and don't like getting beat by the 'oldsters', go practice a while!

YES.

I would like to know what the reason is for the proposed change?

Is there some kind of a problem with older guys shooting cowboy?

I guess I ask because its the class I normally shoot and am over 35.

Might be nice to know why its being considered before everyone throws their two cents in.

Thanks

Might be nice to know why its being considered before everyone throws their two cents in.

Thanks

At local match level it is never a problem, but once it gets to State and above you see the start of the problem. There is ALWAYS last minute snuffling of some shooters so they don't have to shoot in the same category as some other shooter. And then the next guy moves so he don't have to shoot against that one. The problem gets bigger as the shoots get bigger.

Thanks

I would imagine it is not necessarily the age of a shooter, but the experience level of an older shooter. The argument being for example: an "older" shooter with many years of CAS experience who takes this experience down a category or two to compete against much younger and generally much more inexperienced shooters gaining an advantage over the newer shooters.

My guess.

Guest Calisto

At local match level it is never a problem, but once it gets to State and above you see the start of the problem. There is ALWAYS last minute snuffling of some shooters so they don't have to shoot in the same category as some other shooter. The problem gets bigger as the shoots get bigger.

So I guess if the last minute shuffling were called to a halt there wouldn't be an issue.

Seriously - are younger folks complaining about being beat by older folks?

This is a really stoopid idea in my opinion. I jump around cuz it's fun. I chose to shoot Cowboy at the State. Woulda won Wrangler and 49er...got 4th in Cowboy and 5th overall...it was fun!!

What is wrong with us? Why the constant searching...changing?

Leave it alone or do a COMPLETE revamping.

:FlagAm:

At local match level it is never a problem, but once it gets to State and above you see the start of the problem. There is ALWAYS last minute snuffling of some shooters so they don't have to shoot in the same category as some other shooter. And then the next guy moves so he don't have to shoot against that one. The problem gets bigger as the shoots get bigger.
So I guess if the last minute shuffling were called to a halt there wouldn't be an issue.

+1

As a TG I'll vote for the consesus of my club is. But personally I would like to see it. Way to much "cherry picking" going on.

I agree w/ this observation. Vote YES.

Nope.

I'm a Senior, but often shot FC this year - and moving to Frontiersman and CC, next year, also.

I personally think we have too many closely spaced age based categories as it is. I'll be eligible for SS in a couple years, but would'nt miss it if it went away. Elder Statesman is soon enough for another age category, IMHO.

Harvey

And what's the problem with that, Ace? Kind of like roulette. Ya place your bet on a number. Sometimes you win sometimes.....you lose. The point is the SHOOTER has a choice. No one should be forced to shoot in a particular catagory due to age. If they want to shoot with the younger folks and take a spin on that wheel..... ;)

Archived