SASS Wire Forum

Costuming

Fast Harley,SASS#34953

OK, I'm still a wet behind the ears SASS shooter, but this leaves me scratching my head in confusion. Given my level of experience, take it for what it seems worth to you.

Why do others have the... I hesitate to say arrogance... but the self-centeredness at a minimum, to feel they could or should dictate their preferences upon other shooters?

I mean, if I were to have my way, we would all be shooting short barreled Colts, shooting Model 92 rifles, and using only side by side shotguns, because growing up watching John Wayne movies, that's what I picture cowboys looking like. Come to think of it, we would all wear leather vests and pants with belts, not suspenders. And since I like the feel of recoil in my hand, we would all shoot .45, and up the power factor too!

Seriously, if I were worried about how historically accurate everything was, I would get a serious case of heartburn from this sport and move onto something like historical reenacting, where I have heard people discuss things as thread counts and the proper types of dyes used. For a person who can be quite OCD, that strikes me as bordering on the unhealthy, but that is what they enjoy.

So, if I may be allowed to offer a suggestion. For those who enjoy SASS and CAS for reasons such as the clothing, or the black powder, or the competitiveness, seek out those others who think likewise, and enjoy their company. This world, and this sport, are big enough for all of us, if we spend our time focusing what we enjoy doing and not fretting about what someone else is or isn't doing. My mom used to call those types gossips and busybodies.

I'll respectfully step back now

+1 Doc, and I might add that maybe one should seek out the company of some others that have a different viewpoint every once in a while, and I believe one would find there is not much lacking in the 'spirit of the game' department. Just an observation from a new sass member, God Bless, be safe, and by ALL MEANS have fun!

Archived