SASS Wire Forum

I am headed for the funny farm

Kind of amazing that a Justice with such a clear and unencumbered view of individual rights under the Fourth Amendment could simultaneously believe that there are NO individual rights created under the Second Amendment, limiting its application to State militia.

LL

The Constitution does not say "except when police feel like violating" the 4th Amendment anywhere I've ever seen. I'm one of those weirdos that carries a pocket Constitution and have hree right here at my desk. The courts are sadly misguided and abusive to the very rule of law they are supposed to uphold and protect. The SCOTUS needs to be overhauled, given two-term limits, using the Missouri Plan for appointment, and rotated out three at a time, no retirement benefits, lawyers make enough that we shouldn't need to support them anyway. Sad.

Bodine

The Constitution does not say "except when police feel like violating" the 4th Amendment anywhere I've ever seen. I'm one of those weirdos that carries a pocket Constitution and have hree right here at my desk. The courts are sadly misguided and abusive to the very rule of law they are supposed to uphold and protect. The SCOTUS needs to be overhauled, given two-term limits, using the Missouri Plan for appointment, and rotated out three at a time, no retirement benefits, lawyers make enough that we shouldn't need to support them anyway. Sad.

Bodine

Well....

I've practiced in jurisdictions with elected judges and also those with appointed judges. For overall fairness, I'll take appointed judges - less politicized. An independent judiciary is essential to equity in the system. Judges that have to stand for election are nothing more than politicians in robes, and you can expect them to have the same problem defending a difficult position as you see with Congressmen.

As for lawyers "making enough" that they don't need retirement - not really. Lawyers, especially those in public service jobs - make much less than many folks think.

LL

Archived