SASS Wire Forum

.38 S&W Short

Bad Hand

On page 47 of the October 2011 Cowboy Chronicle is a 3/4 page advertisement for Fiocchi ammunition. They are advertising their line of "Cowboy Ammo", and one of the calibers listed is .38 S&W short. I'm not familiar with this cartridge, I know about .38 S&W, and .38 S&W special, but not this one. Can anyone help me out, is there a .38 S&W long also?

The ad has been running several months. I had the same question. I'm betting it is the common ole everyday 38 S&W and the designation is to make a distinction between it and 38 special. Remember we are dealing with a furrin' company here. I hope it IS 38 S&W so I can shoot my home made conversion cheaper.

Anyone seen any retail prices on this new fodder?

38 S&W short is not listed in my 8th edition of "Cartridges of the World". 38 Long and short Colt is, but not S&W.

38 S&W Short is primarily an obsolete cartridge for British handguns. Uses a .360 diameter bullet. Unless you have an old Brit Bulldog or some such chambered for 38 S&W, you won't find a use for it.

Coffinmaker

38 S&W Short is primarily an obsolete cartridge for British handguns. Uses a .360 diameter bullet. Unless you have an old Brit Bulldog or some such chambered for 38 S&W, you won't find a use for it.

Coffinmaker

No such thing as .38 S&W Short. This is properly called .38 S&W. The cartridge you're thinking of is .38 S&W Long, AKA in Britain as .38-200 (200 gr. bullet).

No such thing as .38 S&W Short. This is properly called .38 S&W. The cartridge you're thinking of is .38 S&W Long, AKA in Britain as .38-200 (200 gr. bullet).

.38 S&W and .38-200 are the same cartridge.

Sort of.

.38 S&W is an orignal black powder round that fired a 146 grain .360 bullet.

.38-200 is a smokeless cartridge that fired a 200 grain full metal jacket bullet.

.38-200 was developed by the Brits under the assumption that it would have just as much stopping power as the older .455 Webley round. The case brass case for the .38-200 is identical to the .38 S&W.

You can safely chamber and fire .38 S&W ammo in any gun chambered for the .38-200, such as a Mark IV Webley or Enfield revolver.

However, if you were to try fireing real .38-200 ammo in a old gun made for the .38S&W, (assuming you could actually FIND any .38-200 ammo) you'd like blow the gun to pieces.

Think of it as similar to .38 ACP and .38 Super. You can go one way, but definately not the other.

Never heard of .38 S&W Short, or Long. I'd guess the add is for .38 S&W, and they put the "short" in for...

Well, I can think of no logical reason to add it.

Never heard of .38 S&W Short, or Long. I'd guess the add is for .38 S&W, and they put the "short" in for...

Well, I can think of no logical reason to add it.

Kinda like the 45 LONG Colt.

Archived