SASS Wire Forum

Philosophical question for the saloon

Iron Pony

Rain came in last night so I got up to close some windows on the porch and when walking back to the bedroom in the darkened kitchen I noted that my level has a glow in the dark bubble. Huh? Been doing some roofing on the shed, a miserable job in itself, and had left my short level sitting on a counter in the kitchen.

So why does it glow? Its not bright enough to actually see the limit lines in the glass tube but there it was glowing in the dark. Did the folks who made it think I might be doing some framing, hanging shelving or pictures in the dark? The phrase teats on a boar came to mind among other things but the good news is it didnt keep me up and I was fully able to climb back into bed and sleed undisturbed the remainder of the night.

Rain came in last night so I got up to close some windows on the porch and when walking back to the bedroom in the darkened kitchen I noted that my level has a glow in the dark bubble. Huh? Been doing some roofing on the shed, a miserable job in itself, and had left my short level sitting on a counter in the kitchen.

So why does it glow? Its not bright enough to actually see the limit lines in the glass tube but there it was glowing in the dark. Did the folks who made it think I might be doing some framing, hanging shelving or pictures in the dark? The phrase teats on a boar came to mind among other things but the good news is it didnt keep me up and I was fully able to climb back into bed and sleed undisturbed the remainder of the night.

Plumb crazy....

LL

I've pondered the same screwy question as I have several levels with the heavy green liquid. It looks kind of like anti-freeze.

I suppose it's for the times when framing a house and I'm in the rafters or an area of low light. The green liquid is easy to see in low-light conditions. I have one with clear liquid and it's a pain in the patoot unless in bright light.

Or it could be for all the stealth carpenters who sneak out at night to ply their trade....

Perhaps the colored dye has phosphorous in it?

AHA, here it is:

A colorant such as fluorescein, typically yellow or green, may be added to increase the visibility of the bubble.

Fluorescein is a fluorophore commonly used in microscopy, in a type of dye laser as the gain medium, in forensics and serology to detect latent blood stains, and in dye tracing. Fluorescein has an absorption maximum at 494 nm and emission maximum of 521 nm (in water). The major derivatives are fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC) and, in oligonucleotide synthesis, 6-FAM phosphoramidite.

Archived