SASS Wire Forum

Ever spill 1,000 bullets on the floor?

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

Tonight I knocked over a coffee can full of .45 bullets, about 1,000 or so. They proceeded to roll everywhere, took a while to pick them up. At least it gave me a good excuse to sweep the shop floor!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

CURLY BEAT ME TO THE DRAW!

+1! :angry:

Dang primers on the floor!!

Mustang Gregg

Yep, except my primers bounced down a set of basement stairs.

Took hours to get 'em all!

--Dawg

I had a tree come thru the roof of my shop and I had a new box of 500 setting on a table. It's been probably 4 years and I'm still finding them. :lol:

The hiccup with spilling primers is they tend to go BANG!!! when you suck them up in a vacuum or crush them under a chair leg. After an evening spent finding every last one of one hundred that I spilled a while back, I vowed never to do that one again, and luckily have been successful so far.

I've accepted a certain amount of #8 shot rolling around the reloading room floor. Ain't enough time in the day to find it all, and it doesn't make noise when you least expect it.

shot is the worst to clean up.

Yeah, and it's real easy to spill a few thousand at a time. I'm still finding pellets that I dropped years ago.

A 25lb bag of shot will go places air can't get to!

Roo

Amen to that!

I had a partial bag of #8's bust in my truck toolbox several years ago. I'm still finding shot in the toolbox after supposedly getting 'all of it' out at least twice.

A 25lb bag of shot will go places air can't get to!

Roo

Yup, what he said!

Bodine

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

one of the fellas I shoot with had the powder dispenser on his Dillon fly off and dump all over the table. I thought it was pretty funny until the same thing happened to me a few days later. Fortunately the lid stayed in place and no powder was spilled. Keep those nuts and screws tight folks

Dense, closed cell foam floor mats in the area around the loading press here. WHEN primers end up on the floor they are far less likely to get popped by a chair leg, etc..... They sell em as "puzzle blocks" 24" interlocking squares. Keep an eye out at yer discount big box store....

Years ago, a salesman was trying to sell my wife a vacuum cleaner in his shop. He had gone through all the dust and dirt demo's when she stopped him dead in his tracks. She asked,"Will it pull 7.5 shot out of shag carpet. He went to the back room and came back with two shells loaded with #4's and said "This is as close as I can get."

He poured them out on his test carpet and the machine handled them nicely.

Best vacuum we ever owned.

You'll be finding them for months........lol

I have a buddy who sells cowboy bullets from Bear Creek.

He had just received a shipment from them of about 50 boxes of bullets of various sizes. He had them all setting on a table in his shop when the table collapsed and just about every box burst and spread those bullets all over the cement floor of his shop.

He and his wife spend days not only picking them up but reboxing them. They had to count them as they reboxed them to be sure the count was right.

SCG

Spill a bag of shot some time. You can never find them all. That can be life threatening as you have a hard time seeing them and they act like tiny marbles to slip on when you least expect it.

Never had a thousand bullets fall on the floor, but........tried putting 60 boxes of shotgun shells on a shelf in a walkin closet one time. No problem until the 58th box. I sure do wish they had made the shelf stonger or the shot shell boxes better :ph34r:

Years ago, a salesman was trying to sell my wife a vacuum cleaner in his shop. He had gone through all the dust and dirt demo's when she stopped him dead in his tracks. She asked,"Will it pull 7.5 shot out of shag carpet. He went to the back room and came back with two shells loaded with #4's and said "This is as close as I can get."

He poured them out on his test carpet and the machine handled them nicely.

Best vacuum we ever owned.

Years ago I lived an an apartment with long shag carpet. My roommate spilled a 500 rnd box of 22s on it and they sank down into the shag. The first I heard of it was when I hit one with the vacuum. The beater bar set it off. We killed a couple of cheap vacuums that way. Finally got an old metal one and it just chugged along despite the small explosions.

Gotcha beat:

A 75 pound shipment of 3500 125gr .357 bullets split open in an airport. Who knew the USPS would ship lead by air? TSA soiled their light blue panties en masse. EOTWAWKI was about to be declared when someone low enough in the organization to have common sense informed the supers that these were bullets, and without brass, primers and powder they were essentially fishing weights. The End of the World was reluctantly put on hold.

The recipient was called to the local Post Office and given a very stern lecture by the Postmistress. He's been married for 35 years -- The PM's disapproval didn't begin to phase him.

As far as we can tell -- we got all 3500 in the shipment. Must have been quite he mess. :lol:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Heck, now I gotta tell the story about my old Pard, Dale.

The was grinding Pyrodex C (at least I think it was) into FFFg with a coffee grinder. He spilled a bunch of it all over the carpet. Then he went out to the range to test fire some of his new "creation".

Meanwhile back at the ranch, his wife saw the mess on the carpet. She got out the bag-type vacuum cleaner and started to pick up the debris. We reckon static electricity in the bag or maybe a motor spark set it off. The vacuum pretty much exploded. It threw burning crap all over the room. Burnt a humongous hole in the carpet, clear to the subfloor. Scorched the ceiling, walls, floor and his wifey's hair and dress. At least she had glasses on. Probably saved her vision.

When the smoke cleared, Dale was in some trouble at home.

Mustang Gregg

You know, this thread stirkes me as one that could only be better if we were all sitting around a pot bellied stove after a day of shootin and having a beer--or two. :D

I've tipped over full MEC hoppers of shot without the stopper in it (did that twice--ya, slow learner), spilled countless primers and bullets. However, the worse happened about 6 years ago. :blush:

The grandkids got into the reloading room. I still haven't figured out how the smallest of the bunch managed to get a door open that I had trouble with. They mixed together .44, .38 and .45-70 bullets--two different weights of .44s. They also consolidated my smokeless and BP .44s in coffee cans into one large box. It did make for a few "interesting" shoots--bang, bang, BOOOM, bang, BOOM! :lol:

Oh, to answer the question some of you are thinking, yes, Grandma was really ripped! :ph34r:

Archived