SASS Wire Forum

The problem chi...horse

Ellie Mae Mohr

Actually he's a pretty good boy in all areas except loading in the trailer for return trips. Don't ask me why cause I sure can't figure it out. We spend hours practice loading at home. Even spent some practice time while we were at camp but...

We were trying to get him loaded Sat. morning after spending a week at our annual trail ride in MO and my usual method wasn't working so I told hubby to put on some leather gloves and take hold of the lead rope. I went behind him and was cracking the whip behind him (not touching him just the ground) and TJ reared up and pulled away. He took off walking then ducked into the woods, found a trail that led to the river and the last I saw him he was walking down river (he can walk a lot faster than I can and I didn't want to run and make him start running). I then lost sight and sound of him. It was like he disappeared. Hubby went up to the office to get help. Jay, one of the owners of the camp, took off on his horse and rode both sides of the river without seeing him.

Another guy from IN was staying another night so he said go ahead and leave and he'd bring him home if he wandered back to camp overnight. We did but after we left I decided I didn't feel right about it and wanted to go back. Went to Rolla and got some food (camp was officially closed by this time and no longer providing meals) and went back. That guy and I took off riding and made a big circle around camp and I called and whistled the whole way. No sign of TJ. After we got back hubby and I took off in the truck and drove around the roads and left our phone # with folks that lived around there in case he wandered into their place. Bunch of guys that were gigging for suckers had their boat rigged with big spotlights and hubby asked them to keep an eye out for him in the river (he was just sure he drowned because there wasn't very many places to get out of the river from where he went in).

TJ did not come back to camp over night and hubby walked the river trail the next morning beating on a feed can and calling him. No luck. We packed up again and headed home. Was at the truck stop in Sullivan, MO when we got a phone call from Jay saying TJ had been found.

So here is the story of TJ's grand odyssey from accounts by the good old boys network (thank you, God, for them). TJ got across the river, left the river bottoms and climbed the bluff to hunter's lodge (there is a trail) got out on the gravel road. Some turkey hunters saw him, caught him, and led him back down to the bottoms by road and turned him loose thinking if he got back down there he'd go back to where he belonged. Nope, he climbed back up the bluff this time taking the gravel road to the highway without being seen and walked up the highway to the back gate of Ft. Leonardwood where he was detained by the gate guards. They led him back down the highway to a house right outside the fort that had horses thinking he belonged there. That lady took him in, corralled off an area for him, fed & watered him and after he got done eating he escaped. He was next captured in or near the burg of Big Piney. That guy got him secured and started making phone calls. He got ahold of a guy whose brother-in-law we had talked to earlier in the evening and said "I know who he belongs to, I'll come get him". They took him to their barn and the next morning they called Jay, who didn't know we had turned around and spent the night in camp again, and by the time he called us we were 80 miles into our trip home.

Turned around went back to camp again, met the guys there who had collected him for us, unloaded him out of their trailer into ours (he stepped right in this time), and headed home for the third and final time.

I seriously believe the big brat had decided he'd rather walk home on his own 4 feet than ride in the trailer. All the folks that came in contact with him reported he wasn't nervous or excited and they were able to walk right up to him. I wanted to beat him and hug him at the same time when I saw him standing in that trailer all safe and sound.

I can just imagine the story he told his little brother Flash on the ride home. :rolleyes:

Actually he's a pretty good boy in all areas except loading in the trailer for return trips. Don't ask me why cause I sure can't figure it out. We spend hours practice loading at home. Even spent some practice time while we were at camp but...

We were trying to get him loaded Sat. morning after spending a week at our annual trail ride in MO and my usual method wasn't working so I told hubby to put on some leather gloves and take hold of the lead rope. I went behind him and was cracking the whip behind him (not touching him just the ground) and TJ reared up and pulled away. He took off walking then ducked into the woods, found a trail that led to the river and the last I saw him he was walking down river (he can walk a lot faster than I can and I didn't want to run and make him start running). I then lost sight and sound of him. It was like he disappeared. Hubby went up to the office to get help. Jay, one of the owners of the camp, took off on his horse and rode both sides of the river without seeing him.

Another guy from IN was staying another night so he said go ahead and leave and he'd bring him home if he wandered back to camp overnight. We did but after we left I decided I didn't feel right about it and wanted to go back. Went to Rolla and got some food (camp was officially closed by this time and no longer providing meals) and went back. That guy and I took off riding and made a big circle around camp and I called and whistled the whole way. No sign of TJ. After we got back hubby and I took off in the truck and drove around the roads and left our phone # with folks that lived around there in case he wandered into their place. Bunch of guys that were gigging for suckers had their boat rigged with big spotlights and hubby asked them to keep an eye out for him in the river (he was just sure he drowned because there wasn't very many places to get out of the river from where he went in).

TJ did not come back to camp over night and hubby walked the river trail the next morning beating on a feed can and calling him. No luck. We packed up again and headed home. Was at the truck stop in Sullivan, MO when we got a phone call from Jay saying TJ had been found.

So here is the story of TJ's grand odyssey from accounts by the good old boys network (thank you, God, for them). TJ got across the river, left the river bottoms and climbed the bluff to hunter's lodge (there is a trail) got out on the gravel road. Some turkey hunters saw him, caught him, and led him back down to the bottoms by road and turned him loose thinking if he got back down there he'd go back to where he belonged. Nope, he climbed back up the bluff this time taking the gravel road to the highway without being seen and walked up the highway to the back gate of Ft. Leonardwood where he was detained by the gate guards. They led him back down the highway to a house right outside the fort that had horses thinking he belonged there. That lady took him in, corralled off an area for him, fed & watered him and after he got done eating he escaped. He was next captured in or near the burg of Big Piney. That guy got him secured and started making phone calls. He got ahold of a guy whose brother-in-law we had talked to earlier in the evening and said "I know who he belongs to, I'll come get him". They took him to their barn and the next morning they called Jay, who didn't know we had turned around and spent the night in camp again, and by the time he called us we were 80 miles into our trip home.

Turned around went back to camp again, met the guys there who had collected him for us, unloaded him out of their trailer into ours (he stepped right in this time), and headed home for the third and final time.

I seriously believe the big brat had decided he'd rather walk home on his own 4 feet than ride in the trailer. All the folks that came in contact with him reported he wasn't nervous or excited and they were able to walk right up to him. I wanted to beat him and hug him at the same time when I saw him standing in that trailer all safe and sound.

I can just imagine the story he told his little brother Flash on the ride home. :rolleyes:

Loading method as taught to me by my dad was to feed the horse only in the trailer that we parked in the corral for months on end.. My good friend a trainer taught me to tap them with a whip, sort of like a fly realy light .. when they step forward you stop... then in a while you pick it up again. Honestly I am not sure I think each horse is different. I bought a pretty grey arab one year for my niece an Aladin filly.. the guy told me whe would load, clip, haul, and was broke.. yeah right.. lol... So, I showed up with the saddle and he was in a wheel chair. so my normal you saddle her up and ride her and then I will did not work.. lol.. My niece want the horse, so without riding her I decided to load her up and hope for the best. After working for hours with the bribe method, I moved to plan B which was the whip tap method.. Understand I have hever whipped any animal past a tap, or spurred them past teaching them with a tap to sidepass, or move their front end or back end over for me... Anyhow... the first tap bought me a laidback ears mare in full reverse.. I think she got me twice before I work up and move.. I had two huge bruises in my thighs. She basically went backwards kicking her way.. lol.. Now the whole story is it was 108 degrees on a sunny day in A z.. And it took me 4 hours to trailier the horse.. I begged my niece to not want the horse.. But in the end she won. .and we got her in with two arms locked and a puxh buy two huge cowboys I know that use to rope at Rileys in AZ.. lol... My best pal rode her and the first bump he gave her with a spur did not bring on a buck.. but a kick.. she falt out tried to kick him in the bottom of his boots.. lol... After watching her move, I took my nicen down the path of hunt seat and turned her loose.. lol.... she gave it up for my cutting arab... and later she gave it all up for a boy.. lol

Horses are Knotheads!!!

My daddy use to tell me I had 1200 lbs of silly between my legs and some of that silly had been mistreated by mankind.. lol... while they can be knotheads, lol.. I loved them.. and even thought they tossed me a bit, and kicked me around a bit.. I like to think they loved me right back.. lol

Deja, I've used every trick I know on him including all the ones you mentioned. He had been doing really good using the method - if he balks or pulls back at the trailer door, he works (longing him), if he walks into the trailer he gets to rest and eat a little grain (hey, I'm not above using bribes :lol: ). Wasn't working that day.

And Jack, you got that right but I :wub: him anyway.

Deja, I've used every trick I know on him including all the ones you mentioned. He had been doing really good using the method - if he balks or pulls back at the trailer door, he works (longing him), if he walks into the trailer he gets to rest and eat a little grain (hey, I'm not above using bribes :lol: ). Wasn't working that day.

And Jack, you got that right but I :wub: him anyway.

Okay.. my father once told me there are horses that know our spirit.. and i am not going any futher than that.. lol.. For fear of being a silly chick.. loll Those are the ones that want to know they have won... cuz they have.. lol

Ahhh the stories I could tell about Stony the Wonderhorse...... :lol:

Ever hauled anything besides horses in that trailer? Just curious. We found out the guy we bought ours from had used it for hauling farm raised elk to slaughter, and also used it for deer camp hauling the dead deer home in it. Our horses still give us trouble at times. I cleaned it several times with vinegar, bleach/water, and even a light mix of amonia/water once. Probably not what happened in your case though.

Bodine

Bodine as far as I know nothing else has ever been hauled in it. We bought it used but it didn't look like anything had ever been in there before.

We used to put the dogs back there at night when we were camping but now that we're down to just 1 dog he thinks he has to sleep in the living quarters with us.

That explains the strange postcard I got from the midwest the other day. The writing was bad so I figure the Post Office just made a guess.

Having fun!

Wish you were here.

TJ

Too funny Marshal, and it is now, not too much when I thought I was going to have to leave him in the Mark Twain National Forest :lol:

Hey Miss Ellie...great story.

I have found using a lunge whip to swish the end of the tail back and forth over and over werks good.

I usually get a friend to lead the horse as close as he can to the trailer, until he balks.

I let em stand there and start swishin' the end of the tail. My friend and I will tawk, joke and not

payin' attention to the jughead except for my frin holdin' the lead rope tight an my continous swishin'.

Takes a lil' patience, but does werk and does not hurt er stress the horse. ;)

As a general rule a "loading problem" is really a "leading problem." Do some "desensitizing leading" exercises (find lots of scary stuff and lead past them without undue reaction). The object is not to learn not to react at blowing plastic bags (or whatever) but to go whereever the holeder of the lead shank goes.

My mare pulls the "I'm not going" trick from time to time. A verbal scolding and a couple of steps back remind her of her place and she walks in without an issue.

Work on leading; it will pay off when loading. ;)

SQQ

in all the years I have been shoeing horse I have learned 1 Thing and that is nothing is for certain when it comes to horses

With our first horse, we had a "loading problem." We went through all the tapes ~ Clint & John and several others. All sternly warned against bribes, and bribes didn't work, anyhow. Weeks and weeks of frustration.

Finally penned him and the trailer in the arena, and put his food in the trailer and left him. Took one day.

Our next horse was not so stubborn, and we got him trained fairly quickly.

Our next one, a little Paso Fino, was billed as trailer trained. NOT. Tried all kinds of methods, including the feed in the trailer, over a period of six months. Finally, a little old lady said, "give me that dang rope." She brought the mare up to the door, then took a dally on an interior ring - and wouldn't let the horse back up. Seeing no choice, that mare walked right in. A couple of trips like that, and she was fine.

If we had tried that trick with our first horse (16.2)he would have broken the rope and someone (that would be me) would have been hurt. Hates to be tied in something like a trailer, and THROWS himself back, big time.

Our two miniatures will hop into anything ~ trailer, trailer's tack room, the back seat of a car....anything to go for a ride!

My experience is limited, but every horse we have has a different personality, and different methods must be adapted for training each one.

Buena suerte, and so glad your story had a happy ending!

eGG

With our first horse, we had a "loading problem." We went through all the tapes ~ Clint & John and several others. All sternly warned against bribes, and bribes didn't work, anyhow. Weeks and weeks of frustration.

Finally penned him and the trailer in the arena, and put his food in the trailer and left him. Took one day.

Our next horse was not so stubborn, and we got him trained fairly quickly.

Our next one, a little Paso Fino, was billed as trailer trained. NOT. Tried all kinds of methods, including the feed in the trailer, over a period of six months. Finally, a little old lady said, "give me that dang rope." She brought the mare up to the door, then took a dally on an interior ring - and wouldn't let the horse back up. Seeing no choice, that mare walked right in. A couple of trips like that, and she was fine.

If we had tried that trick with our first horse (16.2)he would have broken the rope and someone (that would be me) would have been hurt. Hates to be tied in something like a trailer, and THROWS himself back, big time.

Our two miniatures will hop into anything ~ trailer, trailer's tack room, the back seat of a car....anything to go for a ride!

My experience is limited, but every horse we have has a different personality, and different methods must be adapted for training each one.

Buena suerte, and so glad your story had a happy ending!

eGG

I've done that trick too it does work more often then not

I've done that trick too it does work more often then not

They are so smart, huh? lol... I had a Real McCoy baby that followed me into the feed shed.. lol... Geesh..

Miss Allie, no offense taken. Hubby does the driving and while he is the only person I've ever rode in a vehicle with and got car sick, he's careful when he's pulling the trailer. :lol:

To all... thanks for the tips, I think I've tried most of them. The funny thing is I got his dam as a yearling and got 4 babies out of her and each one has had some issue in their training-a different issue for each one. The cure is usually something I try out of desperation and is so easy I kick myself for not thinking of it sooner. I'm sure I'll eventually find the key that unlocks the part of his brain that says "DON'T GET IN THAT TRAILER!". :rolleyes:

I have no complaints about him otherwise. He's not spooky (except cows, they scare the heck out of him :wacko: ), he's not buddy or barn sour, he's great on the trail whether he's in the front, back or middle of the pack, I can go weeks without riding him then put a halter on him, jump on bareback and ride all over the farm without a hiccup, and he walks out at a good pace without constant urging. He's only in his 3rd year of being under saddle and doesn't get worked near as much as he should so on the whole I feel pretty lucky with him.

Here's a picture of him. Sorry about the quality but for some reason it gets grainy on the enlarged picture and photobucket keeps telling me the file has expired when I try to edit it.

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/Sasamy51/?action=view&current=04_6.jpg

Miss Allie, no offense taken. Hubby does the driving and while he is the only person I've ever rode in a vehicle with and got car sick, he's careful when he's pulling the trailer. :lol:

To all... thanks for the tips, I think I've tried most of them. The funny thing is I got his dam as a yearling and got 4 babies out of her and each one has had some issue in their training-a different issue for each one. The cure is usually something I try out of desperation and is so easy I kick myself for not thinking of it sooner. I'm sure I'll eventually find the key that unlocks the part of his brain that says "DON'T GET IN THAT TRAILER!". :rolleyes:

I have no complaints about him otherwise. He's not spooky (except cows, they scare the heck out of him :wacko: ), he's not buddy or barn sour, he's great on the trail whether he's in the front, back or middle of the pack, I can go weeks without riding him then put a halter on him, jump on bareback and ride all over the farm without a hiccup, and he walks out at a good pace without constant urging. He's only in his 3rd year of being under saddle and doesn't get worked near as much as he should so on the whole I feel pretty lucky with him.

Here's a picture of him. Sorry about the quality but for some reason it gets grainy on the enlarged picture and photobucket keeps telling me the file has expired when I try to edit it.

http://s848.photobuc...urrent=04_6.jpg

Very nice.. he has per the photo the looks of foundation.. nice roping horse or riding horse,.,. short thick heck.. and honestly he is pretty.. so I would ride him home if he hates the trailer.. lol

He is pretty much foundation bred but if you think he looks it take a look at this picture of his younger full brother (who loads just fine but becomes a nervous wreck if there's a strange horse behind him on the trail, hubby gets to deal with that problem since he's the one that rides him).

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/Sasamy51/?action=view&current=06_8.jpg

Archived