SASS Wire Forum

"Help! I'm lost several feet from civilization!"

Old Scatterbrain

Seriously?

How about you pick a direction and walk for, oh I don't know, 7 to 12 minutes? How helpless have we become as a nation?

My (least) favorite part:

After police officers arrived with tracker dogs,

What, no helo available?

... the 911 operator told the couple to shout "Hello, K-9" to guide the rescuers to their location.

"Marco!"

Cityslickers <_<

We have a very elaborate corn maze about a mile from our home. After several people got lost and paniced and tore up the maze getting out the first year, they now have a tower in the center of the maze with spotlights and loud speakers so that any paniced ones can be helped out.

Happens frequently. Of course the maze monsters with running chainsaws etc don't help a lot.

I went with my daughter (7), son (11) and his friends (7 and 10) to a corn maze this past weekend on an overcast/drizzly night. Although I was calm and aware of my directions I can see why some folks will get overwhelmed. The best way to find your way out of the maze is follow the kids. It may take time and patience but they know where is the exit and as soon as they get board they will go out and get some food.

Either I'm not getting y'all or y'all aren't getting me: forget the maze if you're lost and to the point of needing rescue. Just pick a direction, any direction, and walk in a straight line through the corn. In a couple of minutes or so you'll come to the edge of the field*. Now turn left or right, walking along the edge of the field until you find the entrance. Worst case scenarion, you will walk all the way through the field and then almost all the way round the field. It's Massachusetts, not Iowa or Kansas where individual fields may be hundreds of acres. Plus, it's a cornfield maze; I would imagine those are made in reasonably small stands of corn for just this reason. At least the ones around here are.

*Maybe a bit longer with a child and infant in tow, but it'd be better than tying up police and rescue assets.

Like all higher animals, people adapt to their usual surroundings, and are often at a loss when transplanted to unfamiliar surroundings.

For those of you accustomed to farms, cornfields, and such, this may not seem like a big deal; for city folk, raised inside buildings with no experience in the field, I can understand how they might feel threatened, after dark, with a baby, in such an unfamiliar situation. They're not "sheep" - just not equipped to deal with the challange.

If you're a farm boy who never left the country, you might have a similar problem if you were dropped in the middle of Times Square during a blackout, or stuck in a subway system with the lights out.

Now, if I was the farmer, I might feel a mite sheepish about opening up such an attraction without any provisions for making sure everyone was out before dark...

LL

Now, if I was the farmer, I might feel a mite sheepish about opening up such an attraction without any provisions for making sure everyone was out before dark...

LL

I can agree with your post up to this point. We do adapt to our surroundings. I get turned around in shopping malls, and start feeling really uncomfortable (some of that is the nature of the lighting in them).

But:

It turns out the family was just 25 feet from the exit when they were found by a police officer.

“They were in the heart of the maze,” Connor said of the family’s location. “Bridge, hanging out by bridge, right in the center of the horse.”

Connor said the family is the first this year to get stuck in the maze, which features maps and signs along the way to help people find their way.

So they had the tools to find their way.

Howdy......

I live in Lakeside (eastern San Diego County)

Could somebody point me in the right direction

to the nearest one in my area??

I would love to be lost in one and not have to

worry about nothin for ever..... ;)

Vern / Foothills...

Howdy......

I live in Lakeside (eastern San Diego County)

Could somebody point me in the right direction

to the nearest one in my area??

I would love to be lost in one and not have to

worry about nothin for ever..... ;)

Vern / Foothills...

Isn't there one in Bonsall?

I dunno about that comparison of city folks not being familiar with surroundings, they get around in the closed-in cities and suburbs with forty houses in a row that all look alike. Sounds like simple stupid panic to me. That's the first thing I teach all my kids when faced with a situation; "Don't Panic-THINK!" My personal "Rule #1". I saw this headline on the web-news this morning but I chose to follow-up on the Amish beard-cutter gang instead. :D

Bodine

Howdy......

That's north county....I will check it out.....!

Vern / Foothills...

LOL, just kidding, Vern. That's around my old stomping grounds, no idea what is there now. But, if you can even find Bonsall, you will have been around enough twists and turns that you'll feel like you have been through a maze anyway.

Google "old bonasll bridge pictures" and click on the image tab. Some great old photos of a really nice looking bridge built in 1925. Now abandoned. It was really fun, all the drivers training teachers made sure each student drove over it at least once. The almost 90 degree turns on each end were fun for new drivers.

Hey, Foothills! Check these:

Pumpkin Station

Rancho Bernardo 13421 Highland Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92128 858-544-7466

Oct 1 – 31, Mon – Thur 9am – 5pm, Fri – Sun 9am – 6pm

Pumpkin Station

This is why I always carry my Hitchhiker's Guide.

And my towel. <_< <_<

What a schmuck, he needs to turn in his man card. HELP!!! I'm lost in a field of plants that I can push over and walk through. HELP!!!

I think I'd like to add dumbass to my original remark. After hearing some of the 911 call tape I, as a fomer emergency services dispatcher and supervisor, sure hope the pard on the phone who dealt with mr milktoast doesnt catch any flak.

I dunno about that comparison of city folks not being familiar with surroundings, they get around in the closed-in cities and suburbs with forty houses in a row that all look alike.

True enough. I suppose I was making a generalization that urbanites may be less able to function independently when necessary.

Sounds like simple stupid panic to me. That's the first thing I teach all my kids when faced with a situation; "Don't Panic-THINK!" My personal "Rule #1".

This was my intended point: too many people cannot think on their feet anymore.

I saw this headline on the web-news this morning but I chose to follow-up on the Amish beard-cutter gang instead. :D

Funny you should mention that, as it occurred just up the road a piece.

I saw this headline on the web-news this morning but I chose to follow-up on the Amish beard-cutter gang instead. :D

Bodine

I admit, I thought you were making that up. Just goes to show, no matter how weird something seems....

Like all higher animals, people adapt to their usual surroundings, and are often at a loss when transplanted to unfamiliar surroundings.

For those of you accustomed to farms, cornfields, and such, this may not seem like a big deal; for city folk, raised inside buildings with no experience in the field, I can understand how they might feel threatened, after dark, with a baby, in such an unfamiliar situation. They're not "sheep" - just not equipped to deal with the challange.

If you're a farm boy who never left the country, you might have a similar problem if you were dropped in the middle of Times Square during a blackout, or stuck in a subway system with the lights out.

LL

LL, as much as I hate to put it this way: HORSE PUCKY! We have raised an entire generation that has to have everything done for them because they are used to having everything done for them. It doesn't matter WHERE they were raised, but HOW they were raised.

I have a 10year old grandson who has been raised to be as independent as a hog on ice.....in the heart of Las Vegas. I'd bet my last sou that he wouldn't get lost in a cornfield, a subway, Grand Canyon, or downtown Chicago. He might ask for directions, but I doubt he'd call for help to anyone but his parents or us, unless he were in imminent danger or injured.

Now don't git all up in a tizzy...(what ever da means ! :wacko: )

I know what will work...............

Sit down, yup, right on da dirty ole ground..........

And break open a bottle of Bulliet while thinkin' bout it. :P

When I moved to CA I bought a GPS. In Springfield, MO being lost meant maybe 45 minutes added to a trip and a lot of cool stuff along my lost little way. Here in CA I found out it could mean hours of driving around the same block.. lol.. After calling my pals here to help me out far too late into the night... I decided either drop the bucks on a GPS, or lose my new pals.. lol

I don't panic when I am lost, I take in the sites.. But then being a hick and lost is a lot different than knowing a lot about the big city an being lost I was told.. lol

LL, as much as I hate to put it this way: HORSE PUCKY! We have raised an entire generation that has to have everything done for them because they are used to having everything done for them. It doesn't matter WHERE they were raised, but HOW they were raised.

I have a 10year old grandson who has been raised to be as independent as a hog on ice.....in the heart of Las Vegas. I'd bet my last sou that he wouldn't get lost in a cornfield, a subway, Grand Canyon, or downtown Chicago. He might ask for directions, but I doubt he'd call for help to anyone but his parents or us, unless he were in imminent danger or injured.

40Rod:

I'd expect nothing less from you...you and his folks brought 'em up right.

But I expect something totally different from most of the city folks I know. I sincerely doubt that a lot of the folks I work with could find their way out of the woods. But most of them navigate the Boston subway system flawlessly, survive the deadly risks to pedestrians in downtown traffic, and have an intimate understanding of how to constest a $50 parking ticket.

It's just a different skill set - that's all.

Of course, we know nothing about these particular individuals - they might be clueless urbans, or they might be particularly exciteable rurals; I'm just not willing to call them "sheep" without knowing more facts.

LL

Hey, Foothills! Check these:

Pumpkin Station

Pumpkin Station

Howdy......

THANKX!

Vern / Foothills...

Howdy......

THANKX!

Vern / Foothills...

DUH - posted the same one twice, sorry.

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/Pumpkin.php?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fomaspumpkinpatch.com

Located at: 14950 El Monte Road

Lakeside, CA 92040

Located approximately 35 minutes east of San Diego

http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/Pumpkin.php?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.summerspastfarms.com/

Take I-8 east to Harbison Canyon / Dunbar Lane exit, turn left at stop, go under freeway to Olde Hwy. 80 and make a left. The barn is 1 mile on right.

15602 Olde Highway 80 Flinn Springs, CA 92021

Looks like there are some up around Julian too. And Fallbrook.

Archived